Chapter 4a: Battle in the Dunes

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Rhialto

Re: Chapter 4a: Battle in the Dunes

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam closes the distance quickly, rifle still in hand.

Jab-Afri, you have committed grievous crimes, which many of us have witnessed. Do not expect mercy!

On Persian soil, it would be within my authority to slay you on the spot, although taking you to court would be preferred. Here, I leave judgement to the local prince, who may deal with you according to his customs.

Rostam nods respectfully to Teruk. He does not bother to comment on the pirate's claims.

OOC: if Teruk thinks binding and gagging are sufficient for now, Rostam will not disagree. He will however make sure that the scoundrel is thoroughly searched and all weapons and magical trinkets confiscated.

Is there anybody else who needs healing?
If not, Rostam will gladly restore 9 hp to the wounded soldier, using up his healing ability for the day.

Oh, and what does the efreet do now that his master has been killed?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Jab Afri is bound.

Before he is gagged he manages to say:

"There is no way this ship will leave the island without my assistance. A storm bought us here...and we will need a storm to depart. Do any of you have the power of summoning the mighty mmmpgh mmmpgghhhh...."

Searching him is a tough order. He has a scimitar, two pistols, and some bracers, rings on each finger including thumbs, may of which look like they are stuck on fast, and several of which have melted in the lightning bolt. He also has a variety of ear and nose rings, necklaces, and bracelets. He's a walking jewelry store. No indication of what is magical and what isn't, unless you have means detect it.

For the first time in about a minute, someone turns around and pay attention to the efreet. He is standing over Maju's body, back in the desert by about 140 yards. The familiar Teku has flown away and is now a normal bird.

Elias' confusion ceases. He's taken 20 odd hit points of damage but he can cast various healing spells, though. A ranger is also injured. I'll look through the precise damage later...

You've basically beaten the pirate mage and most of his crew. I'll leave it up to you to decide what to do. You could probably get a reward for turning him in at Siam - - if you can get him there.
quozl

Post by quozl »

You would slay this monster? I was deferring to you but if that if your desire, I will slay him now and be done with this devil!

Teruk kills the mage.

You may take his things. We should go back to the ruins to see if there are any more of these beasts.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

OOC: pulling this post since killing the pirate was not such a simple matter after all.
Last edited by Rhialto on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longman

Post by Longman »

The pirate mage realises that his bluff has failed and makes a desperate attempt to break free of his bonds as spear blows rain down upon him

Despite being bound and gagged he is still somehow very well armoured. He takes a further hit from Teruk which does only 4 hit points, then tries to burst his ropes. This fails.

The 3 3rd level fighters step up and do him 7 more hit points and he now surrounded by guys. Rostam shoots him at point blank range and does another 9 hit points. He's taken well over 50 hit points and he is still not dead!

Teruk and his men attack again only one hits, scoring only 3 hit points. His final attempt to break his bonds...fails. He finally dies from a spear blow from one of the 3rd level guys...

At once, a very small air spirit of some kind emerges from his body and hovers over his head...

This man was our avatar! You have made yourselves enemies of Raman! We will not forget! May the wind be never at your backs!

It will propel itself away over the sands to the north....unless anyone wanted to attack it.

I'll let you deal with that and then turn to other matters, such as the efreet who still hovers behind you.
quozl

Post by quozl »

Teruk will let the wind demon go.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam will not stop the spirit from leaving. He does have an opinion, though:
This man has committed great crimes and was executed with the consent of a local ruler. Spirits are not above human law if they meddle in human affairs. Ohrmazd will see to it that order is restored.

The paladin then looks at the pirate's sprawled corpse for a moment:
It is doubly sad when one so powerful turns to evil. Think what a man of his ability could have done for a good cause.

The paladin then turns around and slowly approaches the efreet hovering near Maju's body:
Fire spirit! The wizard Maju has died, valiantly fighting the evil pirate. You, too, have helped us in your fashion. For this, I am grateful, although I admit that I prefer not to deal with your kind. The human and spirit world should not mix.

So I have to ask: what will you do now?
Longman

Post by Longman »

The human and the spirit world should not mix? Stop binding us and putting us in bottles, then! It was your own people, son of Persia, who did this to me, centuries ago. That ring upon the mage's finger was also made by their kind!

I cannot touch this bottle. But if I remain free from it for only an hour more, then i will be free to seek the volcano that lies on this island and return to my home. If you are man of honour you will not seek to take me captive once more.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam nods gravely:
The wizards of Persia are clever but seldom wise, nor do they follow the teachings of Zoroaster. I will take care of the bottle for the next hour and may later throw it into the sea. You can proceed to the volcano if you wish.

OOC: the ring the efreet is talking about - is that the one that was taken from Rostam? If yes, he would like it back.

Also, consider Teruk's man healed.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Wrapping up -

ROSTAM:
The efreet does not want you to touch the bottle. He wants you to leave it alone. Are you going to try to get it anyway? He is guarding it, but you could push him away with your protection from evil ability...

The ring that was stolen from you was not on the pirate mage. Teruk and his men report that your scimitar may be with Ash, the pirate who just fled. He had a scimitar that fit that description.

He has bracers, a scimitar, two badly damaged rings (from the lightning bolt), plus lots of jewelry. Someone take care of it, or I'll rule you guys didn't get it.

EVERYONE:

The fliers from the skull cult have flown away southward after observing you from a height.

The warriors are reunited. Teruk's warrior is healed. Jaali is eventually reunited with the group. Elias heals himself of some wounds but is still slightly injured.

Your party now includes:
Teruk and all his forces
Maju (dead)
Saracen (captured, tied up, slowly dying of dehydration)
Elias
Rostam
Jaali

Jaali reports that there are pirates at the ruins and that Sonja, Kanya and Apinya are all dead and YC is presumed dead.

It is mid afternoon.

Do you go to the ruins or straight to the ship?