Chapter 4a: Battle in the Dunes

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Chapter 4a: Battle in the Dunes

Post by Longman »

So, Maju, Rostam, Elias, Kyo, Saracen, Teruk and the village gang, have been travelling through the desert for about an hour and a half as fast as they can go, which means they have gotten almost a full hex away from the ruins.

Maju's familiar, who has been scouting, returns to his master's shoulder with a terrain report:

Whirlwind coming! Flying in the sky! Miles back, towards the ruins. But coming after us, this way!

Oh, and also, two really big lizards up ahead some more miles! They chase some smaller ones!

Apart from that, everything's fine. The jungle is about 8 miles ahead of you. You can just see it, a thin band of brown and green on the horizon.
Rhialto

Re: Chapter 4a: The Whirlwind

Post by Rhialto »

Looks like Jab-Afri is too lazy to walk further and is sending his djinn after us. This may also mean the pirates are searching the ruins. Not good.

Shall we stay here and fight the djinn?
If we defeat it, the hawk may be able to spy on the pirates again.
Although I am not sure how we can defeat an opponent who can just fly away...
Longman

Post by Longman »

pinewood's character Elias speaks up:

Hmmm. I have no missile weapons and am not keen to fight a Djinni...but I'll heal anyone who gets injured if you want to stay.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju says to Taku, "Do you estimate that we can reach the jungle before the whirlwind catches us? Also, was the whirlwind carrying anyone, or did it come alone?"
Longman

Post by Longman »

Before we reach the jungle! Before!

No one! Just wind! Tiny whirlwind in the sky! Kree!
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju trembles a bit as he retrieves the efreeti bottle from his satchel. Calming himself, he removes the stopper. With the fiery efreeti before him he says, "Laylat AlHariq! You are still bound to me! As you wish, I will eventually release you to the volcano. However, before that I have a task for you to complete. We are being trailed through the desert by a being of wind. It may be a djinni, a creature of the wind plane, as you are of the fire plain. Or it may be an elemental of the wind plane. Either way, you are to seek it and destroy it. It will be found following our prints in the sand. If it is indeed a djinni, you must be cautious. It can render itself invisible, much like yourself. However, our reports are that it is currently traveling in the form of a whirlwind. So I command you, become invisible yourself. Make a sneak attack on this creature and destroy it. Show no mercy. Then return to me and report. Go now."

Once the efreeti is gone, Maju instructs Taku, "Follow the tracks back and observe the battle. Mind that you remain high to stay safe. Once the battle is resolved, return and inform me of the result." He lifts his arm and sets the falcon to flight.

OOC: I didn't ask specifically whether the efreeti's attacks constitute 'magical weapons'. I assume so, since he's magical himself. If not, there wouldn't be much point to sending him.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I'd say they definitely would count as magical attacks

The efreet, a huge black-skinned creature with molten red eyes, shies away from the paladin Rostam somewhat. Everyone shies away from him too. Sand melts and becomes glass in his footprints.

I will do as you wish, master.

He becomes invisible and departs. Elias whistles with relief.

Do you guys want to keep moving while the battle takes place, or stay put? Remember the falcon reported some dinosaur action in the next hex, the one you are moving into.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam looks worried:
A dangerous servant. Maybe too dangerous.

He shakes his head, then addresses the others:
Shall we wait here for news from the hawk?
I don't care to pick a fight with lizards right now, when our friends may be in danger at the ruins.
Longman

Post by Longman »

(It seems as though you waited where you were.)

The efreet returns after about an hour, at about the same time as your falcon.

I met the Djinn - and I inflicted many wounds upon him. But he became invisible, and fled. He will have gone back to his master. He will need to rest up inside whatever container you humans have trapped him in. Now, what are your wishes?

The falcon verifies this tale.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

I don't like having spirits fight my battles for me.

What shall we do now?
If the hawk saw no sign of the pirates, they either caught or friends or gave up and went back to the ship.
There seems to be no point going back to the ruins, but we could change course and go north-east.
That way, we may avoid the lizards and have the option to go to the ship after all.
I hope the bird will spot our enemies at some point.