[IC] Autumnpeak (Now open for game play)

Metroknight's campaign featuring adventures from AA1 Adventure Anthology 1.

Moderator: Metroknight

Woe

Re: [IC] Autumnpeak (Dueling circle)

Post by Woe »

After Tanya warms up and watches a match between two local farm boys, she tries to wait patiently for her turn. When the caller shouts out her name, Tanya walks up to the quartermaster handing out the bunts. She picks two of the smaller ones and then begins running through her warmups. Just remember, focus on your technique, don't hold your breath, ... Varion says I'm not half-bad and might survive the first round, so maybe I'll get lucky and end up with...

The caller then calls out her opponent, Ludlem the lumbering ox. A hulk of a man-child, possibly partially half-ogre, pushes his way up to the quartermaster. While he is not very quick, in mind or foot, he clearly makes up for it in strength and size. "Gimme dat one" he grunts while pointing at a spare tent pole. The quartermaster points at the bunts and tells Ludlem that everyone uses the same equipment, which quickly degenerates into a hot argument.

Geez... why did it have to be Ludlem? thinks Tanya. Win or lose, he's going to be pissed at me. She thinks a bit about how to defeat him -- he's slow on his feet but hits like an ox, so best to... run away and shoot him with your bow? Hah! Funny thought, but not useful. She gets more concerned when the "discussion" ends when she sees the quartermaster padding up an exceptionally large and thick block of lumber. She pushes off the thoughts and grits her teeth. Looks like I'll use Valon's trick earlier than I wanted!

"Fight!" cries the caller.

Almost before the call, Ludlem comes stomping flat footed out of his corner straight at Tanya with an almost malicious gleam in his eye. Ludlem grips his sword in a manner that someone would grip a hammer or a club. With a grunt he brings the sword down brutally at Tanya's head. Tanya just barely gets her bunt up in time to deflect the blow. She's able to land a lucky strike on his thigh as she dodges under him. Ludlem roars in anger, face reddened and breathing heaving.

Lumbering after Tanya, Ludlem keeps swinging the padded sword like it was just a piece of timber in an attempt to hit and hurt Tanya. He swings wildly at her, misses, and throws himself off balance. Tanya uses the advantage to land a flurry of strikes on him.

"Point!" yells the judge. Tanya backs up to her corner, unsure of Ludlem's reaction.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Ludlem's reaction to losing the match is shown when throws his head back with a roar then charges at her. Before anyone could do more than yell in shock of Ludlem's action, Valon was over the barrier and standing between Ludlem and Tanya with a dual set of unpadded bunts.

Ludlem swings his weapon in a vicious arc at Valon's head but Valon was not even there as he had already moved in close. In a whistling blur, Valon's wooden blades hits Ludlem in the shin then back of a knee with solid sounds of hard contact while he twirled under and around his opponent's attack. Before Ludlem even gets to stumble and fall to his knee, Valon is bringing one of his wooden blades up to deliver what will be a skull splitting strike. Valon's face is showing nothing, no emotion at all. It is the face of a soldier who feels he is doing what needs to be done.
Woe

Re: [IC] Autumnpeak (Now open for game play)

Post by Woe »

"Valon! STOP!" yells Tanya as Valon starts swinging his blade downward with a death strike. Just in time, she's able to get her two bunts between Valon's blade and Ludlem's head. The blade carries through Tanya's parry and grazes Ludlem's ear as it buries itself in the ground next to him.

I suspected Ludlem would try that, but now I don't know what either of them will do!

"C'mon Valon. He's already lost. Let him walk away on his own two feet."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
jw76

Post by jw76 »

Iloparin watches the girl in amazement as she blocks the first blow then in a flurry soon finishes off the giant of a man that she faced off against. He pumps his fist in victory as she wins the match, and stopping to gather his winnings from the man taking bets he moves up to the ring.

During the time he was collecting his winnings, the crowd erupts in anger and Iloparin turns in time to see the giant rushing the pretty blond girl, and Valoran jumping in to protect her. In a matter of a few blinks the debacle is over, and he continues working his way up to the circle. Iloparin frowns 'why didn't I think to do something' he thinks to himself. Shaking his head, he lets that thought pass and shrugs his shoulders continuing to the circle.

He arrives just in time to hear what the girl says, and he nods to himself agreeing with her. He quickly pockets his winnings and smiles up at the girl as she climbs out of the circle.

"That was amazing, you really know your way around those swords. Just incredible."
Woe

Post by Woe »

The personality returns to Valon's face. He unearths his blade and points it at Ludlem."You lose. Leave." He says flatly.

Ludlem, knowing he can't win that battle, gets up and spits at Valon's feet. "You can't be everywhere Valon." Keeping an eye on Valon, he backs up and out of the ring.

"You go after her, you'll have me to face Ludlem. And if you want to go after me, you know where to find me." Varon rejoins. He turns to Tanya and mutters, "Thanks girl."

Tanya reaches up on her tiptoes and gives Varon a peck on the cheek. "Thanks Varon!" she says loudly. "You're my knight in shining armor." She'll then turn and melts into the crowd.

Or at least, she tries. Melting away, she bumps into the same elf she saw alone in the crowd earlier.

"That was amazing, you really know your way around those swords. Just incredible."

His voice is so lyrical! Tanya thinks. "Oh hi! I saw you earlier! I'm Tanya Morgan. I haven't seen you in Autumnspeak before. Are you new to town?"

(yes? I'm not sure)

"Oh, Pineford? Wow, that's pretty far away. You must have a lot of stories about the world. I can't say much about the world beyond Autumnspeak."

(stories or shy?)

"Welcome to Autumnspeak and the festival. I hope you're having fun! Do you have plans for tonight? There's going to be a big party at the Broken Coin later. Well... it's not a party, but the crowds start showing up around suppertime. You should stop by. I'll be there, and a lot of my friends. Enddom will be serving his special beef stew tonight, and he gives discounts if you say that you had fun at the festival." She thinks about mentioning how he raises his prices before these discounts, but decides against it.

(hook for more conversation)

"It was nice meeting you, Master Iloparin. I gotta run though! I want to try all of the game booths at least once, and the next one is the dive. I don't think I'll win, but it's fun to try! I'll see you around!" With that, she'll say her goodbyes and head to the dive.

Maybe she'll see him there?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
jw76

Re: [IC] Autumnpeak (The Dive)

Post by jw76 »

Iloparin is smiling widely as he watches the girl celebrate her victory. She seems very sure of herself, and handles the padded swords with grace and ease. He thinks to himself that 'she is probably as good with real swords, be good to have her in a pinch.' He is so deep in thought that he doesn't even notice she is coming right at him and they bump into each other.

"Nice to meet you Tanya, I'm Iloparin Pinford, I seldom get the chance to come into the town, since I am usually busy with my studies. This is the first real time I have been allowed to the festival by myself." He says while attempting to make eye contact with the vibrant young woman. "I live in Pineford with Master Abeaus." He blushes as she continues to chat with him and ask many questions about his life. Embarrassed, he is only able to say that "No, I don't have many stories to tell, probably none as interesting as yours."

He smiles and turns to walk along with her saying "do you mind if I walk with you. I don't get a chance to speak to many people, especially someone like you." He walks along next to Tanya continuing the conversation "I'm staying at the Broken Coin, so I'm sure I'll be there this evening. I'm so excited for all this it's been great fun. I have only played a few of the games, but I had a wonderful lunch and watching you fight was inspiring. I won some gold betting on you. Not many others where but I just knew you'd win."

Iloparin continues to walk with Tanya as she makes her way to the dive. He isn't sure how this game is played but he figures it should be worth a good show.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Oh." Tanya looks a bit surprised, but not displeased. "Sure. Here, it's this way."

(insert less interesting discussion about how to play the game here)

Just as she's finishing up on the rules, they arrive at the Dive.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Metroknight

Re: [IC] Autumnpeak (Dive)

Post by Metroknight »

Tanya and Iloparin walk through the faire, amateur bards strolling about strumming their instruments while singing songs, kids running around trying to get to the games that are setup for them specifically, sounds of the next round of combat can be heard by the cheers and jeers of the crowd. The talent show is going strong as more people make their presence on the stage known. Dancing around the Maypole is seen in the center of the nearby clearing. Mouth watering food is smelled cooking, carts of ale is seen with gathered men standing around drinking from their mugs brought from home or bought from various merchant booths that are selling.

As they approached the dive booth, they hear the booth vendor, Karistol, instruct a man prior to his attempt “Ok. Ya need to chose if ya going to go for one of the apples that float on top of the water or ya going to dive deep into the cauldron to find the iron ball. Either way, ya got to keep your hands on the rim of the cauldron at all times. If you try to use your hands, you lose.”

The cauldron is deep, as tall as a person's hips, and full of ice cold water with a layer of apples bobbing about so that a player can not see below.

The man dives head first deep into the cauldron and is seen rooting about underwater until finally he comes up gasping for air but without the iron ball. With water running down his face and back the man grabs a floating apple with a grin and moves away.
jw76

Post by jw76 »

Iloparin nudges Tanya with his elbow saying "How silly, I love this festival. What a great way to just relax and enjoy ourselves." He smiles and laughs with the man as he streams water, and walks by crunching his apple. He continues "are you really going to do that? I mean your going to get soaked."

Iloparin has always taken pride in his appearance and the thought of walking around with his hair messy and his clothes wet seems a bit out of his comfort zone.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

When Iloparin and Tanya reach the dive booth, they see a large gathering around it as kids and adults try their luck or at least cool off during the hot afternoon. Iloparin stays back to let a group of kids go by "I think you should wait for another time since this is the first day of the festival" then looks at Tanya directly "So what else do you want to do? I heard some of the shops are having sales on stuff and if you want, I think I saw some Maypole dancing and I saw a few child's games that looked fun like the Pirate's Rigging".