BRANDON of ARKANEA

Gladiator combat PbP action

Moderator: Longman

SerGavin

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post by SerGavin »

Very well, I descend the ladder at a rate of 20' per round.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Longman

Post by Longman »

You pick the east ladder. You descend 20'. You can hear noise from lower down. It sounds like a really long way.

As you get 20' down you can see that at the 60' mark, just at the place where the light runs out, is a torch, positioned on a small platform on the east side.

The south and north ladders appear to run out at the 40' mark. Lucky you picked the east ladder.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

I descend further watching carefully for danger or movement.
Longman

Post by Longman »

You climb to the 40 mark on the east ladder. You are now in dim light only.

You think there is someone on the west ladder, below you, climbing upward. They are probably about 40' below you. It's too dark to see them, though.

On the north and south sides, after the ladders run out, there are 8' wide box rooms set back into the walls and there are a few spectators sitting in each of these. They wave to you.

Roll for initiative.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

I will link one arm around the ladder and hold on tightly while preparing to throw one of my daggers.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Your opponent moves just into view at the 60' mark. It (a humanoid) is on the west side ladder. The torch is on a ledge on the east side ladder, 20' below you.

You could throw the dagger at the end of this round if you wish. You'd be at 30' range for a dagger, and the light is dim (-2), so numerous penalties would apply.

Or you could roll init and start a new round.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

6 for initiative. Is there a way that I can move around to within melee distance of my opponent?
Longman

Post by Longman »

You win init.

Your opponent is only 20 feet below you but is on the west ladder - a 10 leap across from your ladder. That would be a dex roll to get on there. If you fail, you die. Then you could move down, but not attack.

If you climb down to the ledge 20 feet below, you could jump over to the ladder with a bonus of -4 on your dex roll. There is no equivalent ledge on his side.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

Brandon will attempt to jump across the pit and brandish his dagger intimidatingly towards the man below. (rolled a 5 for dex assuming it's minus dex modifier)
Longman

Post by Longman »

No, it's roll under dex - no modifier applied. So you rolled a 7. Which is still a pass.

You leap across the pit to the ladder on the other side. Then, you attempt to intimidate the elf you now see 20' below you.

I decided to make this roll for you, to keep things moving. You fail narrowly. It's the end of your go.

In the elf's turn, she throws her dagger at you (from 20' range). That's a -2 for the awkward body position, but +2 for her dex and BAB, so an even roll. She hits you and does 2 points.

The dagger is stuck in you. You can get it out.

Roll for init.