Out-of-Character Chat

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Re: Out-of-Character Chat

Post by JoeCarr28 »

JoeCarr28 wrote:Leave this one with me. I'll print out the supplement tomorrow and have a read through.
Yep, OK, the 0 Level Spells Supplement seems fine on the face of it. Let's run with it and see how it works in practice. If we find that it unbalances the game, we'll tweak accordingy. We won't make it available to non-spellcaster characters though.

As I understand it Doughbert and Nivek will each have 1d4 + Ability Bonus 0 level spells. Rolling, this works out at 2(+0) = 2 for Doughbert, and 4(+2) = 6 (blimey!) for Nivek (clearly he's a voracious learner). You may choose which spells each of you know from the supplement.

Similarly, as level 1 clerics, Doughbert may cast a 0 level spell once per day, and Nivek 3 times per day (by virtue of his WIS Ability Bonus).

I guess Scathias should also have some 0 level spells (if he's still with us). Rolling, he also gets 4(+2) = 6 (I'm on fire with my rolling today) and can cast 3 per day (INT bonus).

Please update you character sheets accordingly.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nice. This will expand options greatly. Normally I would not bother with these unless they were initially offered, but the slower pace of this sort of game means it may even be some time before we reach 2nd level. This gives us a few more things we can do during encounters until we officially hit 2nd level.

6 choices for Nivek:
Call to Worship (1 mile/level)
Cure Minor Wounds (1hp)
Guidance* (+/-1 next attack)
Meal Blessing (1hp for each after meal)
Mend
Ward* (+/-1 next save)

I would clarify the duration (for those 'next event' orisons) that it only lasts the duration of the current encounter.

Also, I had thought of another cantrip/orison to add to the Supplement whenever a new release was going to be prepared (fyi - I was one of the contributors, but not the author of this supplement; Call to Worship and Water to Wine were my contributions). See that Project's thread for those details (reduces damage 1 point from next damaging event). I would like to add that one if/when a learning opportunity presents itself (assuming not for a while, perhaps after 2nd level is reached).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:I would clarify the duration (for those 'next event' orisons) that it only lasts the duration of the current encounter.
To be more precise, let's say 0 level 'next event' spells expire after 1 turn if an opportunity to exploit them doesn't arise.

The one aspect of the supplement that I'm not completely sold on is that it doesn't cost an action to use a 0 level spell. But I'll give the supplement the benefit of the doubt, at least to start with. If it turns out that characters are firing off a successsion of 'powers' round-by-round in addition to their normal attacks, then I'll reverse that decision. Or, if you're happy to accept that 0 level spells require an action to cast then we can start with that.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I would go ahead and call it a "spellcasting event" even if it uses very little of one's turn. That way, only other small manoeuvres will be usable at the same time (such as readying/changing a weapon) and one's movement. No casting cantrips in addition to attacking or casting other spells. Works for me.
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

SmootRK wrote:I would go ahead and call it a "spellcasting event" even if it uses very little of one's turn. That way, only other small manoeuvres will be usable at the same time (such as readying/changing a weapon) and one's movement. No casting cantrips in addition to attacking or casting other spells. Works for me.
I'm in favor of the more conservative approach as well. I think the slower things go, overall, the better we'll enjoy our time.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
actingkeith

Jumbles (who will outlive every PC)

Post by actingkeith »

swirler wrote:It's Jumbles. I got the name from a Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode.
...that's just effin' flawless.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Has anyone noticed where the name Nivek Tooms comes from? I will award several Kudos to the one can tell where I got the name. ;)
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

GPRFB

(This is also one of my favourite ways of coming up with names for fantasy characters!)
swirler

Post by swirler »

SmootRK wrote:Has anyone noticed where the name Nivek Tooms comes from? I will award several Kudos to the one can tell where I got the name. ;)
heh it's yours backwards

I used to say my name backwars was my arabian prince name
Sivad Semaj
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

That was quick. Kudos to you both!