Character Creation

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Character Creation

Post by Solomoriah »

FYI, there is supposed to be a Read Magic, and Read Languages isn't supposed to be so powerful. Look for a revision in the future.

Now, back to the game already in progress...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

We'll assume there IS a Read Magic spell (which allows you to read spell scrolls, etc.). You get this for "free". We'll treat Read Languages as a separate spell.
swirler

Post by swirler »

okay . im taking set 5 and swapping dex and cha if you approve the concept i am pmig you
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
JoeCarr28

Cleric/Thief Combination Class

Post by JoeCarr28 »

swirler wrote:okay . im taking set 5 and swapping dex and cha if you approve the concept i am pmig you
Hi Swirler,

Got your PM. We're possibly pushing the boundaries of the Core Rules slightly with this one, but I quite like your concept for the Cleric/Thief combination class. I suggest:

1. We retain the thief leather armour restriction; this is necessary for stealthy activities.
2. We remove the cleric weapon restrictions.
3. For the hit die we use 1d3+1. This gives you an average hit die that is half-way between the average hit die of a cleric and the average hit die of a thief (following the example of the Fighter/Magic-User combination class).

OK?

Money = 120 gp.
swirler

Post by swirler »

did you mean 1d5+1? 1d3+1 seems low. But if the d3 is what you did intend it's okay with me
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

swirler wrote:did you mean 1d5+1? 1d3+1 seems low. But if the d3 is what you did intend it's okay with me
No, 1d3+1 is right I think.

A cleric's d6 hit die has a mean of 3.5: (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6.
A thief's d4 hit die has a mean of 2.5: (1+2+3+4)/4.
So 1d3+1 gives us a mean of (2+3+4)/3 = 3.0, which is exactly mid-way between the cleric and the thief.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

actually the die ought to be a d5, giving a random number between 1 and 5 (use d10, 1-2=1, 3-4=2, 5-6=3, 7-8=4, 9-0=5). 1d3+1 gives automatic 2 minimum which skews the average...

... perhaps close, but if you are using an odd like d3, then you should just go ahead and use the d5 instead which would give you a better spread.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:actually the die ought to be a d5, giving a random number between 1 and 5 (use d10, 1-2=1, 3-4=2, 5-6=3, 7-8=4, 9-0=5). 1d3+1 gives automatic 2 minimum which skews the average...

... perhaps close, but if you are using an odd like d3, then you should just go ahead and use the d5 instead which would give you a better spread.
Yes, of course, you're right. d5 would be better. The cold weather is getting to my brain.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Well done everyone - you've come up with some great characters. We must be nearly ready to start. Just a few things I've noticed that might need straightening out:

1. Obviously doomrock still needs to put the finishing touches to Kemble.

2. Both Paladin and Doughbert have a listed racial ability of "30% chance of hiding indoors". I think this should be 70%. It's a 30% chance of detection, which implies a 70% chance of hiding. *** DONE ***

3. Kemble's missing a +1 bonus on charisma.

4. Unless I've missed something, I think Doughbert's AC should be 14, not 15 (leather armour = 13, +1 DEX bonus). *** DONE ***

5. I couldn't see any money is listed on the character sheets of Paladin, Nivek and Doughbert - I'm not sure if this is an oversight, or whether you've completely spent-up your starting money. *** DONE ***

Other than that we're good to go.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Done.