Season 2 - Episode 2: The Road to Westport

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Season 2 - Episode 2: The Road to Westport

Post by JoeCarr28 »

After a somewhat stressful start to the day, things soon calm down once you leave Marketstone behind. Compared to the Old Trail that you took to Northridge Farm last month, the road to Westport is relatively wide and well maintained and you’re able to make good progress. In fact the first day of travel is wholly uneventful - you cover a little more than half of the fifty miles to Westport and rest-up for the night at the Fairfield Arms, a cosy country inn that’s moderately busy with fellow travellers. Having witnessed your exchange with Kitchener this morning, Shaw’s somewhat cautious in his dealings with you and he reluctantly agrees to pick up the bill for your overnight accommodation.

The following morning, you continue with the second and final leg of your journey to the city.

[Rolls]

(Nivek PM-ed)

~8 am, 16th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
SmootRK

Re: Season 2 - Episode 2: The Road to Westport

Post by SmootRK »

Without trying to look too obvious, Nivek tries to signal Leo to notice an owl that has been making the occasional appearance (Nivek on back of wagon 2, Leo being on front of wagon 3). Assuming Leo takes notice too, Nivek says quietly to the ranger-ish fellow, "an owl in the daytime, following us... seems amiss, eh?"

ooc: the owl was noticed by Nivek more than once as we prepped and departed. I don't know of any significance to it yet, but there ya go.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

At the inn:

Mandross tries to pump everyone he can for information (local travel gossip, that sort of thing). He'll also share what remains of his port with Shaw, in an effort to demonstrate that we are a friendly bunch when treated properly, and possibly loosen his tongue as to who he is delivering to.

The following morning:

Mandross is too busy hiding his eyes from the sun to pursue ornithology.
Go with a smile!
JoeCarr28

The Owl

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:Without trying to look too obvious, Nivek tries to signal Leo to notice an owl that has been making the occasional appearance (Nivek on back of wagon 2, Leo being on front of wagon 3). Assuming Leo takes notice too, Nivek says quietly to the ranger-ish fellow, "an owl in the daytime, following us... seems amiss, eh?".
Nivek points out the owl to Leo. It's a large owl with speckled brow feathers, bright orange eyes and distinctive ear tufts. And it's just sitting there, on the roof of the Fairfield Arms, looking at you.
JoeCarr28

Fairfield Gossip

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Joe the Rat wrote:At the inn:

Mandross tries to pump everyone he can for information (local travel gossip, that sort of thing). He'll also share what remains of his port with Shaw, in an effort to demonstrate that we are a friendly bunch when treated properly, and possibly loosen his tongue as to who he is delivering to.
There are a few common themes to the gossip in the inn: the recent rises in the toll fees for crossing the Markspan (a bridge across the River Mark which is about halfway between the Fairfield Arms and Westport); the threat of bandit attacks along the Westport road (not an everyday occurrence, but equally not unheard of); the difficulty in finding reliable caravan guards; speculation that an unusually hard winter might be ahead; etc.

Shaw has been noticeably guarded in all of his interactions with you, and Mandross's port does little to relax him. It seems your confrontation with Kitchener this morning made a big impression on him. All he will say is that he's heading straight to the city markets in Westport as soon as he's dropped you off at Abraham Hall's house.
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

SmootRK wrote: Assuming Leo takes notice too, Nivek says quietly to the ranger-ish fellow, "an owl in the daytime, following us... seems amiss, eh?"
"Not too out of the ordinary," the half-elven ranger notes. "Owls are indeed more active at night, on the hunt. During the day they are simply like any other bird." He scans the area around them, "As for following us, he seems perched atop a building that we happened to stop at. Can't quite say it's following us yet."
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mandross turns to see what Leo and Nivek are on about.

"Hmm? Owls? There was an owl hanging about the Wheatsheaf back in Marketstone. Locals think it's lucky. Doubly so if it dropped a.. er, "blessing" on you."
Go with a smile!
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

I suspect the Druid of the woods is keeping an eye on us and wondering what we are doing heading away from the forest remarks Paladin. He gestures Benoni away to make sure the teamsters keep their prying ears to themselves. I asked around town about the goblins and got no takers. No one had heard anything about goblins period, or about caves or a ruin in the forest. I did hear though that one of the merchant captains sailing north of Westport spotted lights, maybe campfires, north of Westport. My recollection of the map would put them in the right location for our gobln hideout. Paladin looks about pensively. If only we had a big sign we could write a message on telling the hermit and Barney we haven't gone back on our word. I am certain they can see right through that bird's big eyes. . Paladin then gets a bright idea. He pulls Benoni back over and does some preformance art using Mandross and Benoni as goblins and bandits. Whatever message he is trying to convey through the bird, it is lost on the others.

That should take care of it says Paladin confidently. We may even have some reinforcements if we need them!

Paladin shooes Benoni away again. About Bertie, he's not a bad sort once you get to know him, but he does have a temper. Plus, he's sort of important. Hiram the cackler prigger made sure to keep on Bertie's good side by losing at the gaming tables even when he didn't have to. I suspect that Marketstone will be quite hot for a while and we should make sure that if Bertie is pissed enough to send a message to Westport to hire legbreakers for Doughbert that we get Bertie's box before the message arrives. It'll give us leverage.

Paladin looks slyly about. Indeed, with Doughbert's falling out with Bertie, perhaps we should see what the box holds before deciding whether to return to Marketstone. I'd be just as happy not to and head up into the forest again.

With that, Paladin collects Benoni and heads off back to the wagon.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert listens carefully to Paladin and also enjoyed the free thesbian performance. "I agree that this could possibly be a familiar of the Druid, but lets be careful anyway and consider that it might be someone else's spy. Not much we can do about it though, as I do not intend to cause it any harm. Concerning your other points, I am in no hurry to return to Marketstone either. After we retrieve the box, I would like to field a thiev... err tradecraft guild and a Master Loche Temple at Westport and bring myself up to date on new techniques and information. Afterward, I too would like to get back to our task of cleaning those bandits out of the forest. Perhaps we could take passage on a ship that could take us near those lights we heard were spotted."

Doughbert will then resume his position on the wagon. He will climb ontop of the hay bales and make him a cozy little pillbox where he can have cover from range attacks as well as have a 360 degree view of their surroundings. He'll prep his bow and keep it handy and stick a few arrows in the hay nearby ready for quick use. Once the wagons get under way he will keep up surveillance of the terrain in front and on both sides of the trail with occasional glances to the rear. Every 10 minutes or so he will make a more substantial review of their backtrail. (OOC: I believe you said that the haywagon was stacked the highest so his view should be pretty good.)
JoeCarr28

Flies

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The second morning of travel is as uneventful as the first. Shortly after lunch you cross the Markspan, the bridge that traverses the River Mark, Shaw moaning about the “exorbitant” toll he has to pay. With the river safely crossed, you continue on the final leg of your journey.

You’re barely 5 miles from Westport when, just as you round a bend in the road, you see a body lying on the trail about 20 yards ahead of you. It appears to be a man, although from what you can tell he must have been dead for some time - there are clear signs of his skin starting to rot and there are flies gathering around the body.

~2 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal