Out of Character Chat

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, I've started Chapter 1... everybody wander over and post your orders.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Solomoriah, did shybolt manage to trade with anyone for a dagger. You never responded to that or to his attempts to check the wall for traps both sides and to visually inspect the ceiling and walls on the other side for anything out of the ordinary - slime, mold, nests, nets, etc?

To my party members, Shybolt doesn't mind taking the lead to check for traps and such as we explore, but he doesn't have darkvision. He will need a torch to see. He doesn't have one, but he can check with Harold to see if he has a lantern or torches to loan. I guess you guys will end up disliking the halfling since all of you have darkvision. Problem with Shybolt leading with a torch in hand is he will give our position away before any of you can get the chance to sneak up on anyone. So, I will take any position the party wants to put me in.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

See my post in the Prelude thread. Sorry I missed it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I don't have a problem with Shybolt leading the way. He will need a torch/lantern even if he is not in the lead, it will be seen.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I'll just throw a few ideas out to see what everyone thinks.

I'm also fine with Shybolt leading.

Grumm would make a good second man. If we encounter bad guys, Shybolt will probably fall back and Grumm seems like a good combat leader.

I would put Timorel third simply because he's the wimpy, er, waif-like Magic-User and it's probably the safest place to be. He has some sneaking around skills, so if we need someone w/ darkvision to scout ahead he can give it a whirl.

That leaves Dorne bringing up and guarding the rear.

Single file would be safer from the standpoint of checking for traps (the rest of us would be walking over the same ground as Shybolt), but from a fighting perspective a staggered line, like a lightning bolt / letter Z turned 45 degrees, or a diamond formation, gives a better position.

I assume Shybolt is checking for traps and secret passages. I guess Timorel could map, but he needs paper, board, quill and ink. (I guess he could go shopping first thing in the morning?)

Since Shybolt's torch / lantern will probably rob the rest of us of our darkvision anyway, should we all carry torches? That gives us the best vision all around, plus if Shybolt's torch is put out suddenly, we wouldn't suddenly be blind while our eyes adjusted.

Again, just my 2 coppers. Other ideas?
Sir Bedivere
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Thats all fine with me. Although, I doubt that I will be falling back when combat is encountered. Shybolt has nearly as many hitpoints as Dorne and Grumm and a better AC. Whenever possible though I will prefer to range since my to hit bonus is so much better. I think it would be best if Timerol carried the torch since you will want to stay out of combat. I know you will need two hands to cast spells, but you will be casting a lot less spells than I will be swinging a sword. Unless I can use a torch in the offhand like a dagger style "shield", I will be dropping the torch whenever I need to enter combat in a hurry. It will go out sometimes leaving me in the dark.

First chance we get though we need to get a lantern that can be masked. They cast the same light and last much longer, plus we can mask the light if need be without it going out.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Timorel can carry a torch, but we should have more than one light source. Also, if Shybolt doesn't carry one, he won't be able to see ahead as far, will he?

Timorel only needs one hand to cast spells, but his main weapons both require two hands, so either he needs to nab one of the kobold short swords or he'll drop his torch when combat starts.

Agreed on the lantern.
Sir Bedivere
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I wasn't planning on going to far ahead of the group but I believe a torch only casts light for 30' so I better carry one.

You can always swing a torch. :) but yeah, there will be a lot of torch dropping going on when combat starts.

Ok, so we have established 2 positions, Shybolt scouting ahead looking for traps, secret doors and loot, checking the ceiling for nasty stuff, and listening for whatever is ahead and Timorel in the middle. Now we just need for Dorne and Grumm to decide where they want to be. Both of those guys have 20' movement rates so we shouldn't stretch ourselves out along the passage.

While exploring we should probably use the diamond, me in front, Timorel and someone else side by side, then the last right behind watching our six. But when we encounter stuff we move someone up beside me to help block/hold the passage.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Hywaywolf wrote:You can always swing a torch. :)
:lol:

Yeah, but I'd rather send pointy steel down range.
Sir Bedivere
jstater

Post by jstater »

Halfling - Half-Orc - Elf - Dwarf makes sense to me. Grumm needs both hands for his polearm, so if he's going to carry a torch (and I don't mean for the wench he left behind) he'll have to drop it when trouble starts.