Out of Character Chat

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Blazeguard

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post by Blazeguard »

So, do we want to press the attack and follow them back down the corridor or should we try to close and bar the doors?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

if we don't press the attack we can't kill the sleeping dwarfs and then we have all of them on our tails the rest of the way. We can take them now that the odds are in our favor
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Yep, we have to finish them now.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I just went to the character sheets to see how many sleep spells Timorel has and, lo and behold, I discover the dude is a MU/thief. All this time I was thinking he was an MU/fighter. I wonder at what point I forgot that information and replaced it with the erroneous one.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

On the sleep spells, when I created this character I made the erroneous assumption that we'd collect XP as we went and that he'd move up to 2nd level & 2 sleep spells pretty quickly.

I'm not sure I'd have changed anything if I had known, but it's kinda frustrating. We've been playing since March 2011 and we don't seem to have moved any kind of plot forward, we haven't accumulated treasure of any note (save the horn), and w/o accumulating XP, there's no measure of accomplishment at all.

I feel like we're missing some key detail and that things will more or less fall into place once we discover it, but I have no particular evidence that that's the case; I'm just metagaming.

I think part of my frustration may be just part of the PBP experience. I feel like we haven't done more than scratch the surface. Part of me thinks that the mysteries we've confronted are just too difficult, but maybe it's the difference between the PBP format and sitting around a table together for an evening or three.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

I wish we'd gotten that last dwarf.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hey, sorry for the slow pace. It's kind of the nature of PbP gaming. I do plan to hand out XP, right about the time you finish exploring the dungeon. I really thought it would be over last chapter, but you bailed after the serpent about did you in (and that does show good sense BTW, it had every possibility of handing you your butts).

Hang in a bit longer, eh?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Yeah, that was my conclusion, too: it's just kinda the nature of the beast. This is my first PBP campaign, so I think I had different expectations going into it. I certainly prefer sitting around a table together, but right now I don't have the cash to fly you all over for an evening, alas. And, since my old gaming group split up, it's PBP or nothing for me right now.

It actually doesn't seem like it's taken this much real time; I was surprised when I went back to our first posts and realized how long we've been going.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Have you tried an online tabletop game with or without voice chat? They can get pretty close to that table top experience, especially if you use voice and video.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

No, but I wouldn't have time for it right now anyway. I'm thinking maybe once the semester's out I might try to get another group going here.

Speaking of flying everyone over (not that that's going to happen, mind you), it would be cool to have a BasicCon. I'd drive over a state or two to spend a weekend playing BF face-to-face. I'd run something, too. And probably buy a T.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

A quick note I'm new to Role Playing Games so if I make a mistake please bear with me
also if I don't post often then that's because I'm thinking of what I should do next :) :D
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale