AetherCon

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hywaywolf

Re: AetherCon

Post by Hywaywolf »

I tell you what, those indie+ people know how to put together a website that gives you solid information and explanations for everything. The aethercon website felt like they assumed I knew all about it and no explanations were necessary.
elperdedor4

Post by elperdedor4 »

Hello, Hywaywolf!

I'm Erik Evjen, the guy that was going to run Basic Fantasy during the convention. I know I spoke with you in the Ox & Mule but I wanted to reiterate again my apologies for the canceled game. Originally I was just going to be running my two games but ended up handling the discussion panels, and the workflow was too immense to top it off with the games I had intended to run. I canceled my games but the word didn't get out quick enough, so my apologies to you for leaving you hanging.

In the meantime, I'm still considering the possibility of running a BFPRG game online, most like either a Play by Post or through Google+. It'll probably be mid December before I could commit to a G+ game due to my college schedule, but I'd love to get something going. I've been involved with a few cons now and Basic is my poison of choice, I think for online purposes it's a logical choice to run as well.

As far as AetherCon we're going to be looking at ways to vastly improve for next year, I've been filling my notebook with ways to do so. Personally I'm hoping that we can make it work, as something like the con makes it viable for people who have no other venue of play due to their location be able to play. It was a situation I was in a few years back, and if there's something I can do to help others with that issue then I'd love to do so. Granted it was a bumpy first year, but I'm optimistic that we can improve the experience by next year.
elperdedor4

Post by elperdedor4 »

And to answer a previous question of you asked, both of the games I was going to run for AetherCon are my usual two Con games that I've ran for the conventions in Montana. Both are set in the Iellos Campaign Setting, something I've been drafting up for a while now. The two modules themselves are based on the general background history of the setting and experiences from my first campaign in the setting (and are presented along the lines of the Dragonlance modules for 1st/2nd edition of that other popular game).

Battle For Mt. Ravinfel is the 10th level adventure, based on the ending events of a war 40 years before the first campaign. It basically has players assuming the roles of a party that slew a dragon "god" in the setting, first having to deal with entering a temple dedicated to the god of Earth (and dealing with frost worms and such outside)...and leading them to encounter a large snakehead fish named Gorsonath that is guarding a legendary sword that ends up being needed to kill off the dragon. McGuffin Quest, of course; but the players generally have fun with it due to the high levels of the PCs.

The Hall Of Sepna Austir is a 4th level adventure; which actually uses the first PC I ever made as the lead party member, and some others from that campaign trying to save their companion (and my first PC's love interest) from being killed off by another famous dragon in that setting in use for a sacrifice. Another basic plotline, but considering the players are 4th level and facing off a dragon on the other extreme of the age table...it leads to an rather bad end usually unless the players are smart enough to check their inventories. ;)

As far as my next convention roadstop, it won't be until 2013. May 24th through the 27th I'll be in Missoula Montana for the MisCon 27. It's the largest convention in Montana (Even mentioned in passing in the 2E D&D Player's Handbook), and being just a few hours away from where I live I'll be running these games there. http://www.miscon.org/

In October that year as well, I'll be running my games at Great Falls Gaming Rendezvous during it's 2nd year. It's my hometown, and I'm glad that convention has taken off as well as it has. http://www.gfgr.org/

I'm also drafting a potential third scenario(and more in the pipeline) to run, I'll run those there if I complete them in time. I'm always available during conventions for open gaming as well, so if any of you are in the area around then I'd be glad to run some BF.

In the meantime, sorry for lurking everyone! I've been signed up on the forum here for quite some time, but rarely post unless I really have something worthwhile to say. I need to become more vocal around here. :oops:
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Hi Erik, It's Pat S here. Your BFRPG games was the main focus for me struggling to make it to AetherCon. While the panels were nice, it was gaming the reason for me trying to make it. I wasn't there for the door prizes or anything being given away and could have care less about that. I understand you being tapped to run stuff for the convention and while it was irritating I wasn't upset about it. The only other game that I truly tried to get in was the Fiasco game but I never could and the only reason for wanting to play in it was that the GM (Venus) was a truly nice person and the way she describe the game really intrigued me.

Is there a feedback page or something for the con? If so then I would like to put some feedback on it otherwise I will just IM the hobbit since I have his nick on skype.

Have you ever thought about submitting those modules to Solo to be displayed here or are you keeping them private for Con usage?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Sounds like the CON didn't go over too well. I would think that next year, a lot more testing will be done before the event begins. It is a great idea, but with bad execution. Hopefully they don't lose all the vendor participation because of the snafus. I hope everyone has learned from the mishaps, and is ready to modify the methods to improve.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I hope so too. This type of con can not be ran like physical con but needs to be ran more like a chatroom with various subrooms for specific things like vendors ( if any ), game recruiting/listings, etc....

Use the main room for general chat and help when needed. If they required the GM's to be in that subroom 30 mins prior to their game it would give them enough time to put out an open call in the main lobby about games having open slot. The gm could give the room codes in im instead of email or just send the room link to their players and after getting their players settled in with permissions, open the room for lurkers. That's my suggestions.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

And they should move to a quarterly schedule.