Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Shonuff

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 3rd Edition

Post by Shonuff »

Hey Sol, you mentioned wanting artwork for the core book. ( full page action shots and some empty space "fillers" but it was mentioned there are monster entries in the core book.

Do you need illos of those monsters as well?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, please. Drawings of those monsters not presently illustrated would be very welcome. I don't want full-page action shots, but half to quarter page drawings (i.e. wide and flat) would be welcome.

ALSO: Anyone who contributed to the BFRPG Core Rules, as writer, editor, or artist, and who does not have a signature on the signatures page, is invited to send me a signature. Email me, please, solomoriah@basicfantasy.org. You have time... 3rd Edition may make it to print by August, if we're darn lucky, or by Christmas if we're merely a little lucky.

AND ONE MORE THING: I need a volunteer. Someone needs to go through the Dragonsfoot threads and summarize the errata from there in this thread. BFRPG 2nd Edition R75 was released as a print edition August 1, 2008, so the posts after that time are the ones of interest.

For the convenience of the poor sucker (that is, honored contributor) who accepts this duty, here are the starting points:

Core Rules Thread http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... start=1050
Original BFRPG Thread http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... start=1140

Someone on one of the blogs last week called me a taskmaster... am I really that bad? :(
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

SmootRK wrote: AC 11 (the base) when unarmored.
+1 - Basic (Medium) Shield, can be applied in addition to other armor types
+2 - Leather (or AC 13)
+3 - ?? Scale/Studded Leather (AC 14)
+4 - Chain (or AC 15)
+5 - ?? Splint/Banded/Partial Plate (AC 16)
+6 - Plate (or AC 17)

That is just 2 new categories of AC value but it adds substantially to the choice and variability of the game (and expands greatly on magical armor variability too). Personally I would go with the terms Scale & Splint, but that is debatable.
I will try to convince you that it's better to keep just 3 armor:
since you have already the +1 from the shield all that holes are already filled :)
AC........armor/shield
11........ unarmored
12.........shield
13.........leather
14.........leather+shield
15.........chain
16.........chain+shield
17.........plate
18.........plate+shield

(still the best AC you can get is AC 18 = plate+shield)

and having just 3 type of armor is so much simpler (light/medium/heavy), furthermore it gives more meaning to the choice between two handed weapon (w/out shield) and one handed weapon (with shield)

if some "complication" is to be added to armor I would give some love to the helmet :)
something simple like a +1 bonus to ST (if you go to 0 hp and vs area and mind controlling spells), I mean something simple and not rule breaking but still worth wearing it :)
Solomoriah wrote:AND ONE MORE THING: I need a volunteer. Someone needs to go through the Dragonsfoot threads and summarize the errata from there in this thread. BFRPG 2nd Edition R75 was released as a print edition August 1, 2008, so the posts after that time are the ones of interest.

For the convenience of the poor sucker (that is, honored contributor) who accepts this duty, here are the starting points:

I cannot help on this before 2 weeks sorry
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

My thinking on armors has less to do with "just numbers", and more into having slightly more variety (descriptively) and for basically exploding the magical varieties by that number of permutations. I like simplicity, but just 3 types is just ... too simple.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I would readily accept scale mail armor as given. It should be as heavy, or nearly so, as chainmail; it's not a preferred armor type for most characters for a reason. I'm not sold on any of the in-between types listed between chainmail and platemail, though.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

danbuter wrote:One change I'd like to see is that Thief skills start at a higher percentage at level one. Right now, thieves are pretty much useless until 4th level or so, unless they get really, really lucky with their rolls.
My house rule these days, for what it's worth, is that those percentages represent having to hurry, and if a thief can take her time to get it right there's a substantial bonus.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Solomoriah wrote:I would readily accept scale mail armor as given. It should be as heavy, or nearly so, as chainmail; it's not a preferred armor type for most characters for a reason. I'm not sold on any of the in-between types listed between chainmail and platemail, though.
What about Brigandine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine
I've always had a special fondness for the stuff.
Reshaim

Post by Reshaim »

Just a side thought, will the printed version of 3rd edition have a new cover also?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll have to make some sort of revision, but the main art piece stays as is. The main reason being that I specifically asked Erik Wilson to do it, and he perfectly realized what I was trying to express in words. The second reason? Color art is hard to come by.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah wrote:AND ONE MORE THING: I need a volunteer. Someone needs to go through the Dragonsfoot threads and summarize the errata from there in this thread. BFRPG 2nd Edition R75 was released as a print edition August 1, 2008, so the posts after that time are the ones of interest.

Someone on one of the blogs last week called me a taskmaster... am I really that bad? :(
I would like to volunteer for this