Combat with Floor Plans

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
JoeCarr28

Re: Combat with Floor Plans

Post by JoeCarr28 »

dymondy2k wrote:Joe.. I was considering the shooting into combat penalty and I had a thought that fits more into your supplement since it takes size into consideration. I was thinking that if your party was engaged in melee combat with a large creature that the penalty should be reduced to a -2 (and larger to 0). But if they are attacking a creature smaller than normal the penalty would be increased to -6.
Yeah that would work, but I think to start with my main aim is to get the supplement to a point at which it can be used in conjunction with the Core Rules with a minimum of house-ruling.

However, one thing I definitely do plan to do for the supplement is to go through the Core Rulebook and categorise each of the monsters for size - Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, etc. - with corresponding footprints for use with floor plans (Small, Medium = 5' x 5', Large = 10' x 10', etc.). So that would help with your penalty-based system.
JoeCarr28

Release 0.04

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Version 0.04 uploaded to first post in this topic. Futher comments, criticisms and suggestions notwithstanding, I consider this a pretty complete draft of the core document. The only part that still needs major work is the "Special Circumstances" section.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Thats a great idea.. I usually just hit the D20 SRD to check for creature sizes...
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
JoeCarr28

Release 0.05

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Progress has slowed somewhat, but we're still moving in the right direction. Release 0.05 includes rules for attacks from behind and simultaneous movement. It's available for download in the first post of this topic.
JoeCarr28

Release 0.06

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Minor update. Explanatory figure for 'Attacks From Behind' added + various minor typos corrected.

It now just needs the section on Large combatants to be written, as well as a final thorough proof read.
JoeCarr28

Release 1 (Final)

Post by JoeCarr28 »

And it's finished. Available to download in the Showcase.
JoeCarr28

Release 2

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Just one update as a result of playtesting ... diagonal movement has been simplified so that it now costs the same as horizontal and vertical movement, i.e. 5' per square (rather than the Pathfinder/3.5E 5'/10'/5' approach).
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

man you can really scoot diagonally then :) I know that maptools calculates it for you but it is a PITA to do it manually.
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have not really been following this but just a thought... perhaps use hexes instead of square grids? This might better deal with diagonal movement... but it complicates mapping when most maps are on square grids.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Yeah unfortunately it would make it difficult for most dungeon mapping which are based on grids..
The Dragonclaw Barony