First Aid Mechanic (and more ideas to free clerics)

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

First Aid Mechanic (and more ideas to free clerics)

Post by SmootRK »

First Aide Mechanic (class specific, likely to become a supplement or part of a supplement):
Idea coming from discussion about Clerics being the "healing" part of the game and trying to free them from having to be required to memorize multitudes of Cure spells.
Hywaywolf wrote:As a DM you could introduce more healing potions into your games and/or easily accessible higher level clerics in towns. You could also include more minor healing abilities into other classes like with scouts, rangers, etc. If the cleric didn't have to serve as the medicine cabinet for the party they might use some of the other spells more often.
Indeed. I would even say that a Fighter, by the nature of their combat training would have a degree of "first aid" within the breadth of their knowledge. Perhaps an after combat "tending wounds" ability (maybe 1d3 points of healing from weapons/bites/claws/etc (ie. standard physical wounds), each individual can only receive once immediately after a battle (perhaps within 10 minutes of battle)- ie. NOT a daily bonus used each day until healed).

One could expand this idea for MU and Thief with a degree of flair for each. Thief may grant a second saving throw against Poison or heal 1d3 points of Poison/Toxin damage immediately after the event (same 10 minute proposed). Magic-Users can "heal" 1d3 point of damage suffered from magical effects...

The idea is to provide a small measure of immediate First Aid, again to help free the cleric from being restricted to status of first aid bot for the game.

and expanding upon this idea, Rangers/Barbarian/Scout or similar outdoorsy/wilderness/naturalist might get both/either Fighter style healing (above) and/or Thief style. MU subclasses might get standard MU style, Necromancer might be inclined to have either/both knowledge of Magical Wounds and Toxin/Disease types.

Anyway, one gets the idea. A small amount of healing available to free the cleric a bit. Of course, it could be just simplified to a standard 1d3 points of (any sort of) healing doable by anyone (within the time frame and only once per person), but I rather like the small differentiation and interesting role each type of character might take on in these healing processes... drawback being having to note the damage "type" suffered to see who might do the curing (but this is rather negligible in my mind, as one only has to worry about it for a few moments after the battle).

Thoughts? Would this see use? or Useless idea that nobody will want?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Re: First Aid Mechanic

Post by Joe the Rat »

I know that MedievalMan and I had kicked this around some for houserules a while back.

Clerics and Fighters both should have this knack for treating typical wounds (They're as much Hospitaler as Templar now, so why not continue the theme). One per battle is a necessary limit. At higher levels this is a small boost, but it could be a real lifesaver in the lower levels. If you want to limit this more, you could require an ability roll rather than have automatic success.

I like the idea of MUs and Thieves having different specialties, but if you go that route, you should only allow one first aid recovery per person per battle. If Gary the Fighter was stabbed, poisoned, and blasted with a fireball, he shouldn't get a first aid recovery for each.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Re: First Aid Mechanic

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:I know that MedievalMan and I had kicked this around some for houserules a while back.

Clerics and Fighters both should have this knack for treating typical wounds (They're as much Hospitaler as Templar now, so why not continue the theme). One per battle is a necessary limit. At higher levels this is a small boost, but it could be a real lifesaver in the lower levels. If you want to limit this more, you could require an ability roll rather than have automatic success.

I like the idea of MUs and Thieves having different specialties, but if you go that route, you should only allow one first aid recovery per person per battle. If Gary the Fighter was stabbed, poisoned, and blasted with a fireball, he shouldn't get a first aid recovery for each.
I agree with both your points... although I would restrict it to once after a battle and no more than once per day regardless of the type (whether MU/Thief/Fighter/Cleric). Certainly debatable aspects though.

And, if it was not clear, the idea comes from Solo's idea (houserule) to eliminate clerical healing spells altogether (forcing clerics to choose other spells besides stocking up on Cure Light) and instead giving them a sort of Lay Hands method of curing. I still think certain spells can be developed to assist in healing in general, but they can be designed to work in manners where clerics cannot stock up on the spell. For instance, a Healing Rest spell where the natural healing rate from a rest cycle is boosted - obviously one can/needs only cast once per day (but perhaps multiple targets - and probably 2nd level spell).
Ynas Midgard

Re: First Aid Mechanic (and more ideas to free clerics)

Post by Ynas Midgard »

Interesting... I never understood the "Clerics cannot use their cool abilities because they are needed for healing" thing, though, for no group I have played had this mentality; there were either no cleric or they memorised other spells instead of healing.

An idea: remove spells that heal HP directly and introduce a rule variant that allows Clerics to turn any of their memorised spells into a healing spell that restores 1d8 hp/spell level. Problem solved.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Ynas Midgard wrote:Interesting... I never understood the "Clerics cannot use their cool abilities because they are needed for healing" thing, though, for no group I have played had this mentality; there were either no cleric or they memorised other spells instead of healing.

An idea: remove spells that heal HP directly and introduce a rule variant that allows Clerics to turn any of their memorised spells into a healing spell that restores 1d8 hp/spell level. Problem solved.
Even then, the Cleric "holds off on casting spells" just in case a Cure Light Wounds is needed... rather the same thing. I think Solo is onto something with the complete removal of Spells That Directly Cure and instead having a separate curing mechanic. Having the cure mechanic separated from spells is nice also, because it allows the GM another feature that can be customized or tweaked for specific deities. For instance, God of Death & Destruction may not Cure at all (or only has Harm version), while a Deity of Healing and Goodness might get additional points.

But certainly, consideration of any and all such tweaks are worthy to debate. The First Aid Mechanic (IMO) is being considered to further shift the role of having to be the exclusive healer away from the cleric altogether, allowing each member of the core classes some way to contribute to this process. It just takes some more of the pressure off the cleric class to feel the need to focus on healing.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

OK, first stab at the actual wording that might be in such a supplement:

First Aid (basic version)
First Aid may be applied by any character to another wounded individual within 10 minutes of the conclusion of a combat sequence or damaging event. Upon completion the individual is healed 1d3 points of damage that was suffered during the course of the battle or event. It cannot heal hit points lost in other previous encounters. Only one instance of First Aid can be applied to any one character per day, and it can not be rendered to wounds that have settled (beyond the 10 minute time frame). The process of rendering First Aid requires nearly 10 minutes which may extend beyond the initial time limitation, so only one individual may benefit from First Aid by any particular responder. While receiving First Aid, the individual may not perform any other tasks concurrently.

First Aid (advanced version)
First Aid may be applied by any character to another wounded individual within 10 minutes of the conclusion of a combat sequence or damaging event. Each class has one or more specialties that they are best suited for treating.
  • Fighters may treat standard wounds such as those suffered from weapons, bites, claws, or other similar physical effects.
  • Magic Users may treat wounds caused by magical effects or effects of fire, lightning, acid, etc. regardless of the source of the damaging agent.
  • A Thief may treat wounds that were caused at least in part by poison, infectious material, acid (overlapping specialty with Magic Users), or other damages usually associated with traps (including poisonous snakes, centipedes, or other such beasts that are often part of traps).
  • A Cleric, due to their nature as healers, can treat any such wound type or even other sorts of wounds that might not fit neatly into the damage types above.
Upon completion the individual is healed 1d4 points of the appropriate sort of damage suffered during the course of the battle or event. It cannot heal hit points lost in other previous encounters or types of damage outside the expertise of the responder. Only one instance of First Aid (regardless of type) can be applied to any one character per day, and it can not be rendered to wounds that have settled (beyond the 10 minute time frame). The process of rendering First Aid requires nearly 10 minutes which may extend beyond the initial time limitation, so only one individual may benefit from First Aid by any particular responder. While receiving First Aid, the individual may not perform any other tasks concurrently.

Note: Thief class is intentionally the weakest such Healer, being limited to just poison or trap type damage; just seems appropriate. Due to the more restrictive "types of first aid" associated with different classes, I put the amount at 1d4 points instead. The quantity of healing (in both cases, basic/advanced) is debatable... thoughts?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just for comparison, Talislanta had a skill (something like "cult powers") that could be used for healing, among other things, but did not involve spells.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Just for comparison, Talislanta had a skill (something like "cult powers") that could be used for healing, among other things, but did not involve spells.
Never played that... can you summarize the mechanic?

I should pick up that game... there are even free versions available (I even have it on my RPG FREE LIST site).

I updated the info above just slightly... time required to render first aid and thus limiting the ability to give first aid to everybody. One must divey up the party appropriately.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:Just for comparison, Talislanta had a skill (something like "cult powers") that could be used for healing, among other things, but did not involve spells.
Never played that... can you summarize the mechanic?
Ack. I'd have to find it first.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Anyway... thoughts on what I have put together? Any gaping holes in my logic or wonky hard to understand language use there?