Curse of the Lost Spells

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Maliki

Re: Curse of the Lost Spells

Post by Maliki »

In general, I like the idea of a lay-on-hands/healing hands ability for clerics. How much and how often etc. would be something that I would tinker around with.

My first thought for my game would be usable one per level (including first) and heals 2 points+wisdom bonus (I like have the clerics wisdom really count for his abilities.)

If I added this ability (in any form) I would drop the healing spells.

Once some playtesting is done, this would make a nice addition to the Clerics Option supplement.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Maliki wrote:In general, I like the idea of a lay-on-hands/healing hands ability for clerics. How much and how often etc. would be something that I would tinker around with.

My first thought for my game would be usable one per level (including first) and heals 2 points+wisdom bonus (I like have the clerics wisdom really count for his abilities.)

If I added this ability (in any form) I would drop the healing spells.

Once some playtesting is done, this would make a nice addition to the Clerics Option supplement.
I like tying things like this to ability scores as well, gives a reason for having a decent score besides just qualifying for the class.

Here is how I did Lay Hands for my Holy Quasi-Class (paladin-ish):
A Holy character may heal wounds by calling upon divine powers and Laying Hands upon the injured individual (or himself). Each application of Lay Hands will restore Hit Points equal to the Holy character's level, up to the individual's normal full Hit Point total. The Holy character may use the power a number of times per day according to their level (see chart) plus their Charisma bonus. For instance, a 3rd level Holy Character with a 15 Charisma (+1 bonus) can Lay Hands twice per day. At 4th level the character can do this an additional time each day.

The table mentioned has a progression that is 1/day to start, then an additional time at each level divisible by 4 (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th, and theoretically beyond that), plus the ability score bonus (Charisma in this case).

All that said, when a solid final version is decided, I may decide to alter my quasi-class version to a matching mechanic (albeit, likely less potent). Although there is nothing inherently wrong with how I set it up, just consistency might make me change to a matching mechanic.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

you could try it out as a new class, something like a Positive Energy Channeler with healing hands, turning undead and a smaller list of spells
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Fabio_MP wrote:you could try it out as a new class, something like a Positive Energy Channeler with healing hands, turning undead and a smaller list of spells
I agree. A play-test with an alt-cleric would be a good step in testing.
Urieal

Post by Urieal »

There's a HEALER class in Dragon Magazine #3. It was designed for OD&D, and seems as though it would be a bit overpowered in BFRPG, but one could adapt it.
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

Urieal wrote:There's a HEALER class in Dragon Magazine #3. It was designed for OD&D, and seems as though it would be a bit overpowered in BFRPG, but one could adapt it.
actually the Healer in DM3 was something completely different more of a doctor that could heal but not restore hit points (it's a Magic User variant), if you want a variation on this here is my take on it The Occult Physician as you can see here the healing can backfire on the healed so it's better to heal out of combat
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Fabio_MP wrote:
Urieal wrote:There's a HEALER class in Dragon Magazine #3. It was designed for OD&D, and seems as though it would be a bit overpowered in BFRPG, but one could adapt it.
actually the Healer in DM3 was something completely different more of a doctor that could heal but not restore hit points (it's a Magic User variant), if you want a variation on this here is my take on it The Occult Physician as you can see here the healing can backfire on the healed so it's better to heal out of combat
I agree that healing should be a process that occurs outside of combat (at least primarily so). That is why I am trying to get the various ideas bent towards non-combat times... even the spell options I intend to use.

Over in the First Aid thread, I have ideas for First Aid including an advanced form of it. A couple of spells for enhancing Rest periods and a minor sort of Regeneration (Vigor) spell (nothing so powerful as the 3e stuff). I also would like to find a good minor (but non-first aid) doctoring mechanic or potion sort of thing... something that can be dressed up in different ways (but works alike), for instance some might work it as Herbalism, others as Alchemy/Hedge Wizard stuff/minor magic, others as divine faith (perhaps using holy water or similar stuff), or even potentially other kinds of healing. It needs to be small scale and perhaps perishable so it cannot be abused or stockpiled (and thus bypassing traditional magical items like actual potions).