First Aid Mechanic (and more ideas to free clerics)

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: First Aid Mechanic (and more ideas to free clerics)

Post by SmootRK »

Revisited the proposed spells in the last post to tweak the wording in a few places.
Nobody has commented yet, thoughts?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

I like the spells :)

I have always been for this king of healing spell spread over other classes

I think another route is to make the possibility to try CLW more common (even at will) but more dangerous for the healed character (maybe it's toxic, can give dependency or can put you out of combat for a time) you can take various routes
1.1) make healing more and more difficult (-1 to success for each 10hp healed/day, or -1 for each spell cast on the same target)
1.2) the character must make a ST or fall unconscious for 1d3 turns
1.3) for each 10hp healed in a day the character must make a ST or get addicted and crave for more healing, or for each healing spell received
1.4) all of the above and more

the first aid you propose don't seem overly powerful and could work, in the ACKS core rules (which were heavily tested) there is an healing proficiency that can be taken 3 times
1 rank) add 1d3 healing to day recovery, roll 11+ identify illness
2 rank) on a roll of 18+ you can cure light wounds/disease/poison 1/day per character, identify 7+
3 rank) on a roll of 14+ you can cure serious wounds/disease/poison 1/day per character, identify 3+
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

What about a dutch courage rule?

I saw a good one today. Heal 1d4 damage every time you can chug some wine or ale, but take a -1 penalty to all rolls for every drink after the first. (With, perhaps, the option of a time frame to get sobered up again and reset the penalty counter)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

LibraryLass wrote:What about a dutch courage rule?

I saw a good one today. Heal 1d4 damage every time you can chug some wine or ale, but take a -1 penalty to all rolls for every drink after the first. (With, perhaps, the option of a time frame to get sobered up again and reset the penalty counter)
I think this calls for the BFRPG Alcohol Supplement. Perhaps even having an assortment of special brews (minor magical effects)... Dwarven Hard Cider, Elvish Moonwine, Halfling Heavy-Hops Beer, etc.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Late to the party on this one but I do remember having a house rule for first aid. Unfortunately I don't have my list of house rules anymore so I have no idea exactly how the rule worked. Something like 1d3 after any single battle + Wisdom modifier in bonus HP restored.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Late to the party on this one but I do remember having a house rule for first aid. Unfortunately I don't have my list of house rules anymore so I have no idea exactly how the rule worked. Something like 1d3 after any single battle + Wisdom modifier in bonus HP restored.
That is quite similar to what I have down, except I limit it to once per day and no bonus amounts. The advanced first aid idea allows different classes to have slightly different sorts of aid applied... but the idea is to have one or the other of the mechanics for one's game (not both).
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I don't know how well that would work in game, but call me curious. In any case I did it the way I did because the other methods we tried ended up not being enough (folks were dropping every battle, it was crazy, like, beyond normal crazy).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:I don't know how well that would work in game, but call me curious. In any case I did it the way I did because the other methods we tried ended up not being enough (folks were dropping every battle, it was crazy, like, beyond normal crazy).
My goal centers on decentralizing these functions (off the cleric as the primary source). So multiple methods are to be in place that work with Rest, minor healing, alchemy, etc. Also, at least in my personal campaigns, I like a tad less of the Heal and Rest after every encounter way of exploring. I can get lower level beasties to confront even mid-level characters, dealing out less damage. More exploring goes on as characters shrug off little bits of damage, as they won't be regularly encountering massive damage dealing creatures/BBEG in every other room. A bit less high-fantasy in certain ways.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Yeah I like the stuff you presented, certainly a good fix to the heal-bot Cleric.
Urieal

Post by Urieal »

What about just allowing the Cleric to create scrolls at 1st level? It's a great way for your spellcasters to burn cash, and instead of having to spend your slots on healing spells, or changing the rules, you can just carry around scrolls.

250 × spell level × caster level for scroll creation.

So...you want a 1st level CLW spell, 250 gold. You want it to function @ 2nd level potency? That's 500 gp. and so on...

It's not perfect, but it's something.