Ability Score Modifiers from D20

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Cole n Aidens Dad

Ability Score Modifiers from D20

Post by Cole n Aidens Dad »

Folks,

Do you think using the following would unbalance the game:

3 -4
4-5 -3
6-7 -2
8-9 -1
10-11 0
12-13 +1
14-15 +2
16-17 +3
18(-19) +4

I generally used the roll 4D6 reroll 1's once then add 1's method rolling 7 times drop lowest, then roll 3d6 for Comeliness.

I love the BF rules but want to use certain aspects of D20 like the way skills are done with DC rolls and the modifiers for D20. I give the different races, including humans and half humans, bonuses to ability scores like the basic demi-human classes.

Example - Dwarf: +1 Con, -1 Dex, +1 Wis and -1 to both CHR and Comeliness (I use this) when dealing with non dwarves.
Elf: +1 Int, +1 Dex, -1 Con, and +1 CHR and Comeliness when dealing with other races OTHER than Dwarves (LOL)

With demi humans being the only ones being able to have a Stat higher than 18. Humans and half-elves are the only ones that cannot have stats higher than 18 this is offset with other bonuses (XP bonus of +10%, +1 to any one stat, and role playing perks). One rule that I have is that magical armor is not one size. So youde have +1 Human sized chain mail.

If it my post makes no sense sorry I m a little rushed and wanted everyones input.
Max M.
Oakdale, CA
Gaming since 1986
seandon4

Re: Ability Score Modifiers from D20

Post by seandon4 »

Cole n Aidens Dad wrote:Folks,
Do you think using the following would unbalance the game:

3 -4
4-5 -3
6-7 -2
8-9 -1
10-11 0
12-13 +1
14-15 +2
16-17 +3
18(-19) +4
It could, yes, depending. Based on experience, if you're going to use an 80s module or use B/X monsters then encounters could get too easy and you might find yourself racking your brain on how to inflate monster stats or make encounters more difficult/interesting. As it is, character tends to find +2 magic items and +1 masterwork items throughout an adventure. Having said that, you can adjust BF however you like depending on what makes sense to you :)
I love the BF rules but want to use certain aspects of D20 like the way skills are done with DC rolls and the modifiers for D20.
We had a similar discussion recently on Pathfinder. You could also check out Microlite20 DungeonFinder if you want more of a rules-light d20 number-spread. It will be more compatible with 3.5 / pathfinder monster manuals stats and 3.5 adventure paths. BF is in the spirit of B/X D&D where characters don't really have "skill" rolls per se, instead they have backgrounds and class abilities. Skills are better role played than rolled when possible IMO. But in any case BF has a pre-compiled "DC" chart on pg 141.

In any case, have fun.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Using the d20 modifiers, does give a slight bump in power, but I don't think it will have a big impact on the game. (The method you use for generating ability scores is very generous, and probably bumps the power level of PCs up more than the d20 modifiers)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I addressed my take on Ability Score Progression in another thread. The progression is not d20 but somewhere inbetween... and really just a logical progression from BFRPG (although there are slight tweaks). I also utilize an ability advancement rule, and alternate racial and class minimums. So far it works out well in the global sense.

All of this can be found in my house rules document, right on the first page for most of this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5iDVt ... sp=sharing
Feel free to utilize any portions of my rule tweaks in your own gaming efforts.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?