Forgotten Realms Novels Recommendations?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
RelevantSky

Forgotten Realms Novels Recommendations?

Post by RelevantSky »

A buddy of mine who is a hardcore sci-fi/fantasy fan is moving, and just gifted me with BOXES of books...including, I kid you not, a mattress box (one of the ones that come rolled) filled with Forgotten Realms paperbacks. There must be easily 225 to 250 books here. Sheer craziness, especially as my girlfriend bought me a Kindle when they first came out just so I could get rid of my own boxes books! Needless to say, I've stuffed these into a room in the basement beneath the stairs, where she never goes (spiders, doncha know). :lol:

So...as I've only read some of the Salvatore books (Icewind Dale, Dark Elf Trilogy, some of the Cleric Quintet), does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start? Any favorites?
SmootRK

Re: Forgotten Realms Novels Recommendations?

Post by SmootRK »

One of the earlier ones (trilogy) that I enjoyed had a heavy druid vibe. "Darkwalker on Moonshae" I think is the title of one of them. Then again, it has been years since reading... sometimes I go back to things and think "uuugggh, what was I thinking?"
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

My recommendation?

Don't. ;)
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

I like Salvatore's early stuff myself. His later stuff is pretty dull.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

SmootRK wrote:One of the earlier ones (trilogy) that I enjoyed had a heavy druid vibe. "Darkwalker on Moonshae" I think is the title of one of them. Then again, it has been years since reading... sometimes I go back to things and think "uuugggh, what was I thinking?"
+1
Although I would stop after the first book (it was originally written as a stand alone novel) The rest of the trilogy (IMHO) went downhill, and the second trilogy (some 20 years after the first) was even worse (again IMHO)
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

I second Maliki's opinion. The second series was quite horrible. The second and third books in the original trilogy are palatable at best, with the first being fairly good.

Maliki

Post by Maliki »

-1warrior wrote:I like Salvatore's early stuff myself. His later stuff is pretty dull.
I agree, after a while it just became pretty much the same old same old.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

His all-time low has to be the Neverwinter quartet. That and the "Transitions" series were both hard for me to actually read all the way though (as in, they are very badly written). The newest series (I don't even remember the name) is mediocre, if that. The trilogy about the Orcs was okay. Everything before that is decent writing. I'd say the Dark Elf trilogy is Salvatore's best work.

RelevantSky

Post by RelevantSky »

Thanks, everyone (I love Rachel's suggestion the most :lol: ).

I'm trying to veer away from Salvatore, as I've recently been re-reading his earlier works and wanted something different. I did find Darkwalker on Moonshae and, although it reads a bit young, the premise is there, so I'll stick with it and see where it leads. Most of my MMORPG characters have been druids or the equivalent, so it already has that going for it.

Has anyone read anything other than Salvatore they've enjoyed? There are at least a couple of boxes with some mixed (non-FR) titles. I've found a few Pathfinder books (I didn't even know they had fiction based on Pathfinder), including one based on the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, which I really like playing, so I'll probably check that out ("White Witch," I think it's called). There's also a couple of general anthologies, some Lovecraft (!), some Orson Scott Card. Pretty impressive collection so far.

I think I need to open everything up and really see what I've got here.
-1warrior wrote:His all-time low has to be the Neverwinter quartet.
That's disappointing to hear; I really enjoy the setting.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Well there is the Azure Bonds series (I think that's what it's called). Elaine Cunningham also wrote s'more good stuff.

As to the Neverwinter, I have nothing against the setting, I just feel that Salvatore's books set in it aren't well written.