Useful Tools and Links

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
RelevantSky

Useful Tools and Links

Post by RelevantSky »

I've started work on a massive, new campaign setting and realized (after spending the past couple days collecting various open source resources) that it might be useful to collate it all into one place. And so, here it is. Please feel free to add your own suggestions, and I'll edit this post as needed. To Chris and/or the mods: If this is inappropriate or not acceptable, please feel free to delete it with my apologies.

Every attempt was made to ensure that all items at the links below fall under Open Source or Creative Commons. You may note that, because of this strict criteria, some sites such as Wikimedia Commons aren't listed, as some materials found there remain under copyright. Any software listed below is fully operational and offered by the developer free of charge (no trial).

If this is still around later ( :D ), I'm sure I’ll be adding to it. I hope you find it useful. As always, you are responsible for all legalities surrounding any materials you use.

Art:
Dragonfoot OSR Art Repository
From Old Books (Menu is at top right of site; can be difficult to see)
Karen’s Whimsy
Old Book Art
Old Book Illustrations
Zorger.com (Mostly Sci-fi art from the 1950s)

Cartography Software (All work in-browser unless marked otherwise)
AutoREALM (downloadable software)
Dave's Mapper
donjon RPG Tools
Dungeon Painter
Flat World Map Generator (fractal) by Mikhail Yevchenko Scroll out or in, move around, and take what you need. Absolutely insane.
Gozzy's Cartographic Emporium
HexMapper (downloadable software)
Planet Map Generator (fractal)
Stone Sword Dungeon Maker and World Maker. Not a lot of options, but still worth checking out.

Miscellaneous:
AWW (A Web Whiteboard) A no-frills way to quickly sketch map or creature ideas, and you can save to .png - no registration needed.
Cap This Pretty nifty web tool that shifts all your letters from caps to lowercase or vice versa. Useful if you want to copy and paste a Table of Contents entry into a header, for example.
Lorem Ipsum (Fake "Latin" Placeholder Text) Generator (I find this useful when creating layouts and don't yet have all the necessary text written.)
MindMup A terrific, feature-rich mind mapper (Requires registration, but may use other accounts such as Google).
Wizardawn An insane amount of useful tools, map generators, and guides can be found here.

Useful Threads:
Basic Fantasy Project Submission Guidelines
Mechanics of Production?
Release Announcements

Writing Software:
LibreOffice
Open Office
yWriter
Last edited by RelevantSky on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.
RelevantSky

Re: Useful Tools and Links

Post by RelevantSky »

Added the Miscellaneous section.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

DF's Art Repository would fit in your Art Section:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=97

Be well John,
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
RelevantSky

Post by RelevantSky »

rredmond wrote:DF's Art Repository would fit in your Art Section:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=97

Be well John,
--Ron--
Brilliant, Ron, thanks! Added.

[EDIT: Moved MindMup to "Miscellaneous" and added A Web Whiteboard]
RelevantSky

Post by RelevantSky »

Tidied up and bit and added: Flat World Generator, Planet Map Generator, Stone Sword
Sigmund

Post by Sigmund »

I have removed my suggestion due to it's not being open source. Sorry for missing that part of the OP... the great list of stuff distracted me :D

I am not involved with creating the software I suggested, just a happy user. :) I do understand about only wanting to include open source though, so I've removed my suggestion. Thanks for the welcome. I'm finding BFRPG to be a fantastic flavor of Old School. DLed it way back when it was newish, but then let it sit for awhile and played other stuff (mostly S&W and LL for class/level games), but now I'm looking at what I might want to use to get my kids into RPGing. They're 8 and 11 now and are expressing interest. This list and all the other great resources for BFRPG are going to be great for both starting them out, I think, and then letting them expand their game. Thanks, and if I find or think of any suggestions that fit the profile, I'll certainly poste 'em.
Last edited by Sigmund on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RelevantSky

Post by RelevantSky »

Sigmund wrote:I would submit that the Inkwell Ideas site (http://inkwellideas.com/), with Hexographer, Dungeonographer, and Cityographer, along with various and sundry other tools would be a good addition to your list.
Hexographer is a well-reviewed program, but the reason why these were not included (and I mean no disrespect if you're involved with them in any way) is because they don't follow the same ideals as BFRPG. Everything included on this page allows for complete and full usage, free of charge, either through Open Source or Creative Commons, because BFRPG itself (and all add-ons, modules, and the like) is completely free through the Open Game License.

I appreciate the suggestions, and welcome!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I've been using Wizardawn's site more and more lately
RelevantSky

Post by RelevantSky »

chiisu81 wrote:I've been using Wizardawn's site more and more lately
That's a brilliant site; thanks! Never seen it before. There's so much there, I'm not even sure where to put it...I guess "Misc" for now.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Ever heard of Hexmapper? It's a mapping program I use. It's free, but I can't find the link.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)