New Class - The Warden

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
merias

New Class - The Warden

Post by merias »

So I had the day off today, and wanted to convert a class I created originally for S&W Whitebox to BFRPG. Here is my first attempt. The Warden is sort of a Ranger, without spell-casting and with non-magical healing skills, along with animal companions and a few other abilities. I think they would really shine in outdoor-themed campaigns, although I've only used them so far as NPCs. Hopefully I got the fonts, layout, etc. correct.

One of the challenges converting this was that it was coming from an OD&D-style format where everything was either referee discretion or a d6 mechanic, to something more in line with BFRPG, for example the tracking ability in the original is totally referee discretion as far as chance of success, here I used the Ability Rolls table from the core rules as a base (I dislike percentile skill tables, not sure if this is a good substitute or not). Let me know what you think!

One note - the animal companion section was based on Pete Spahn's work from the first Brave the Labyrinth 'zine, and is OGL.
Attachments
BF-Warden-r3.odt
(42.07 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
BF-Warden-r3.pdf
(83.78 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Last edited by merias on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dimirag

Re: New Class - The Warden

Post by Dimirag »

I don't understand the HD progression, at first level I roll 1d8+5, at 2nd I get to roll 1d8-1? BFRPG does not make use of HD re-roll per level.

The Warden gets a +5 HP, more than 50% of a fighter medium HP per level
He uses every weapon and has a +1 attack bonus with bows.
Gains 2 saving bonuses of +2.
They get healing, once per character, 4 times per day after having to gather materials. And heals up to 23HP.
Survival in fitted environment.
3 in 6 and 5 in 6 chances of surprise others.
1 in 6 and 3 in 6 chances of being surprised.
4 in 6 chances of hiding while moving silently.
Tracking ability.
Animal companion

On the other hand
Limited to leather armor.
Surprise modifiers limited to native environment.
Stealth limited to outdoor.
Prohibition of Scrolls and Potions.
I would presume that the creation of poultices is limited to the outdoor.

All of these for 250XP more than a fighter...

I think the class could be extremely good in his native environment, quite good on the outdoor but seriously limited everywhere else.

I would remove the extra HP and limit his weapon access, modify some skills and raise his XP.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Your OGL treatment is fine. I'm afraid I don't have time right now to look at the game details, but you've done a nice job on the formatting.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
merias

Post by merias »

Dimirag wrote:I don't understand the HD progression, at first level I roll 1d8+5, at 2nd I get to roll 1d8-1? BFRPG does not make use of HD re-roll per level.
Thanks, I missed that one. LIke AD&D Rangers, I meant for some extra HP at low levels, I'm not sure the best way to do that, or maybe it is not needed given the other skills, which I think is what you are suggesting.
Dimirag wrote:The Warden gets a +5 HP, more than 50% of a fighter medium HP per level
He uses every weapon and has a +1 attack bonus with bows.
Gains 2 saving bonuses of +2.
They get healing, once per character, 4 times per day after having to gather materials. And heals up to 23HP.
Survival in fitted environment.
3 in 6 and 5 in 6 chances of surprise others.
1 in 6 and 3 in 6 chances of being surprised.
4 in 6 chances of hiding while moving silently.
Tracking ability.
Animal companion

On the other hand
Limited to leather armor.
Surprise modifiers limited to native environment.
Stealth limited to outdoor.
Prohibition of Scrolls and Potions.
I would presume that the creation of poultices is limited to the outdoor.
Yes, creation of healing poultices is done outdoors, but they can be administered anywhere. Keep in mind the 1d4 hours for them to take effect, that could be dangerous without a safe place to rest. The surprise is basically one pip better in all circumstances (I noticed BFRPG has the rule for enhanced chance of surprise in ambush situations, which I just reduced by 1).
Dimirag wrote: All of these for 250XP more than a fighter...
Yes, I do see the need for more XP. I think that made more sense with the 10 levels in my original version.
Dimirag wrote: I think the class could be extremely good in his native environment, quite good on the outdoor but seriously limited everywhere else.

I would remove the extra HP and limit his weapon access, modify some skills and raise his XP.
I did indeed intend for Wardens to be very good outdoors, and basically revert to a fighter with limited armor underground. I don't think being able to use all weapons is much of an advantage given the limited armor class, but limiting them is worth a look. Thanks for the comments!
merias

Post by merias »

Solomoriah wrote:Your OGL treatment is fine. I'm afraid I don't have time right now to look at the game details, but you've done a nice job on the formatting.
Thanks, glad I got it right.
merias

Post by merias »

I've cleaned this up and made a few changes, I'm not sure of the proper versioning procedure - do I bump the files to r2 after any such changes?

To briefly summarize - I bumped up the XP requirements, removed the extra HP, and clarified the surprise bonuses (they must be alone to get a bonus to surprise others or sneak up on them). I also specified how long foraging for poultice supplies would take, and also that PCs don't get the healing benefit from a poultice if they engage in combat or have to flee while waiting the 1d4 hours.
Last edited by merias on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Generally, bump the release number every time you release a new version, so there are never two different files with the same name.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
merias

Post by merias »

chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Also, you can edit your first post to have the latest download links shown there, rather than all over the thread.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Some suggestion:

HD: You can take the "barbarian way" and use a d10 for HD, use the "ranger way" and use 2d6 for 1st level and 1d6 thereafter or use the "thug way" and give them 1d6+3 for its HD.

Its seem some abilities are only usable on his Native Terrain, while other are usable on the outdoor. If this is the case having info on whats a Native terrain will be helpful.

If you want to go more Basic then make some abilities work on outdoor and others everywhere.
If you want to go more Barbarian/Ranger then some abilities will work always, he will gain and improve his abilities on the outdoor, on any familiar terrain and in his native terrain.

Standard Abilities:
The warden senses gives him a 3 in 10 (30%) chances of being surprised.
His training with range weapons gives him an attack and damage bonus equal to those of weapon specialization (BF-Combat options).
He knows how to apply healing poultices.
Animal Companion
Saving Bonuses

Outdoor Abilities:
2 in 8 chances of being surprised and 3 in 8 of surprise others. (25% and 37.5%)
Gathering materials for his poultices takes 6hs.
Tracking, Move Silently, Hide and Survival skills with percentage values.

Familiar Terrain Abilities: Any terrain resembling his Native terrain is Familiar to the Warden.
1 in 6 chances of being surprised and 3 in 6 of surprise others. (16.6% and 50%)
Gathering materials for his poultices takes 4hs.
Tracking, Move Silently, Hide and Survival skills with increased percentage values.

Native Terrain Abilities: The place where the Warden trained and was raised.
1 in 10 chances of being surprised and 7 in 10 of surprise others. (10% and 70%)
Gathering materials for his poultices takes 2hs.
Tracking, Move Silently, Hide and Survival skills with more increased percentage values.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/