Character Advancement

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
mooflaghero

Character Advancement

Post by mooflaghero »

I am alittle confused about character advancement is the only stat that goes up upon leveling up the PC's HP and Hit Dice? If that is the case how do PC get permanent changes in the stats?
Maltese Changeling

Re: Character Advancement

Post by Maltese Changeling »

Traditionally, they don't barring powerful spells or magic items.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Though you probably already know this, a lot of other things improve as well:

Saving throws
Attack Bonuses
More spells
Better Turning of Undead
Thief Skills

However, in the rulebook there chart under "Optional Rules" that lowers the difficulty of Ability rolls as you increase in levels. That might be the kind of thing you are thinking of.

It's all done differently than later editions because there's no one unified mechanic. Not better or worse, just more old school.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

In true Old School games, ability scores do not change under normal circumstances.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

Drink from the magical bubbling pool. It might increase your ability attributes or something else...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Tree Ant wrote:Drink from the magical bubbling pool. It might increase your ability attributes or something else...
Not "normal circumstances." :D
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Bear in mind that the Scores don't affect many things directly and that BF uses smaller bonuses than other similar games.
Plus, the bell curve will make higher bonuses easier to achieve if you allow a flat Score increment.
Considering this, if you still want to increase the Ability Scores try with the 3.X progression and Score increment method.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
mooflaghero

Post by mooflaghero »

Thanks for the speedy replies. I have one other question and I may need to start a new thread but how are discussions resolved between PCs and NPCs. Example like diplomacy, intimidation or persuasion?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The player and GM should role-play the encounter, and reaction rolls may be used to determine the NPC's opinion of the PC. Generally, I ask the player what he or she says to the NPC, then roll the reaction roll, applying the PC's Charisma bonus or penalty and adding or subtracting a point or two (2d6 rolls don't need much modification) as I see fit based on the player's stated approach to the negotiation.

If the player's entreaty to the NPC was painful for me to listen to, it was probably painful for the NPC, so I'd apply a penalty for that; if the player's argument is hard to refute or expressed very well, I'd give a bonus.

A new player joining the negotiation would necessitate a new roll. Of course, a very good or very bad reaction roll will bring the negotiation to a swift end...
mooflaghero

Post by mooflaghero »

Ok that makes sense and I would use the table under the monster reaction roles to determine the reaction.