Kind Words from a Fan

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Kind Words from a Fan

Post by Solomoriah »

Wayne Rossi on the Semper Initiativus Unum blog had some kind words to say about BFRPG:

https://initiativeone.blogspot.com/2016 ... ss-by.html

Also, he refers to an infographic on the Roll20 blog that I found gratifying:

http://blog.roll20.net/post/14884085454 ... rt-q2-2016
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
BardHarlock

Re: Kind Words from a Fan

Post by BardHarlock »

Great review and I agree with the majority of what was said. I actually like the layout. And as much as I wish there were a companion edition, I understand your reasoning in not wrestling that particular demon.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

It was a nice review and while I agree with most of it, especially the BFRPG growth on roll20, I rather not have a companion pdf. I actually enjoy pulling the various supplements that I like and tweak them to fit my vision of the game I wish to run. While a companion book might help with that, depending on what was included and what the scope of the book would be, I would not get it or use it. My opinion is that the focus should be just improving the core book by fixing typos and tweaking the layout which is what it is now.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Great review.

In my mind, the website with all the downloads, is the companion for the game. I think the plug-in method of our supplements is a real boon for gamers that the other organizations just do not really get. Having each individual item as a a la carte offering allows a degree of fine tuning control over one's games. Need a ranger but don't want paladins.. Fine. There is no need for a whole catalog of changes that come with a complete book of add-ons.

Honestly, I am surprised that the more mainstream organizations don't realize this aspect.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
BardHarlock

Post by BardHarlock »

SmootRK wrote:There is no need for a whole catalog of changes that come with a complete book of add-ons.
That's the thing. A Companion from BFRPG wouldn't have to be the Companion edition TSR eventually put out. It wouldn't have to be a "whole catalog of changes" either. But again, I understand the scope Mr. Gonnerman started with and respect it.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I'd guess that the free addition and use of supplements on the website works well if gamers are already experienced with the Old School and understand that they can use what they want, and also not to be confused by multiple variants of the same idea.

Some more inexperienced players - or those used to a more unified system - might be confused by the fact that there are 5 or 6 different variants of the ranger class, or herbalism, or archery specialization, on offer here.

The availability of different versions is not always apparent unless you explore the site thoroughly. I have always used the ranger subclass listed in downloads by Gonnerman and Wynter from 2011, and I've only just noticed the one by William Smith from 2006, which is quite different.

A supplement would have the benefit of offering an "official" version of such things to put new players at ease - but it might also deter people from offering up their own variants as workshop or showcase items.

For someone like me it's kinda normal that there are different variants. But it depends on the target market of the game, I guess. Other gamers, looking for on overall picture of how things fit together - or even a literal map of where all the modules go - have probably come from a background of "world specific" and "official" games where there would be only one location of Morgansfort, and only one official Paladin class, for example. They might be discouraged here, or they might learn another (and better?) way of doing things.

Can't please em all, anyway. But you certainly have a fan in me.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I can see where you are coming from, and I get it. I like lots of optional stuff too.

The thing is, and it has been discussed here and there, is that once a book or collection is presented and even when explicitly stated that all portions are optional, people tend to think of the material as "official" and usable. Such offerings are usually taken in whole or not at all, regardless of intent.

Instead of being able to say, "I use these specific supplements in my game: ..." , the Game Master instead has to say "I do not use this list of items coming from this book", and likely might have to give explanations for the exceptions (like I don't like this version of Paladin, or Fire Mages are too powerful or don't fit my campaign style, or whatever). In my mind, much easier and less negative pressure to say what I will include after the Core Rules, and I like I said previously, a finer degree of control over content.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I do what SmootRK says in every game I run on roll20. Here is just a partial copy of my character generation thread (it contains houserules and other information that are not part of this discussion). The lines that start with ..... are links to the pdf's of the supplement so that people can download them directly.

Core Rulebook
.....Core rulebook
Playable races
.....Dwarf, Elf, Hafling, and Human - see core rulebook (see above)
.....Half-elf, Half-Ogre, and Half-Orc - see Half-human Supplement
.....BIsren, Canien, Faun - See New Race Supplement
Playable Classes
.....Core Classes as per the corerule book
.....Druids
.....Illusionist
.....Scouts
.....Barbarians
.....Spellcrafters
Supplemental rules
.....0-level spells
.....Equipment Emporium
.....Combat Options
.....Magic-user Options - Arcane bolt #1, Alternative XP advancement are used. Nothing else out of the supplement is used.
.....Class ability modifiers