Healing Option

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hywaywolf

Re: Healing Option

Post by Hywaywolf »

No, I was saying that if you want the cleric to use more now-healing spells just giving them more healing options won't work because players will just start needing more healing. IE, players will rack up as many lost HPs as they think they can reheal. Give en less opportunities to be healed they'll be more risk adverse, give them more they will take more chances.

My point about heal pots and other non-clerical means of healing was that giving everyone a box of bandaids might slightly free up the cleric to consider other spells.

My last post about a non-healing cleric was that about the only way you will make a cleric that won't use most of his slots for healing is to not have any heal abilities. I didn't say that would make for the best cleric. I said its about the only way to get those other spells used on a regular basis.

For most people a cleric is viewed as a head cracking medic that can scare away the boogeyman.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

BTW, i wasn't saying drop the traditional cleric and replace it with a non-healing one. I was just saying create a new class where its beneficial for a player to chose non-healing spells.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:My last post about a non-healing cleric was that about the only way you will make a cleric that won't use most of his slots for healing is to not have any heal abilities.
I don't understand this... the option I'm considering would remove healing spells, so that there would be no using slots for healing spells. Healing would instead be paladin-like, laying-on-of-hands style. So a "non-healing cleric" is NOT the only way to make a cleric use up his or her slots on healing magic.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Sorry, I missed the part about removing the healing spells altogether except lay on hands. Sorry for the confusion. I know this doesn't really matter since its just a supplement, but one of the biggest things that turned me away from modern D&D was the heal creep where people could get seemingly endlessly healed every single round. It jaded me :)

So how many spell slots does the new cleric lose? At 10th level this new cleric will essentially have 10 cure light wound spells plus however many spell slots while the traditional cleric only has 11 spell slots total.

A traditional 3rd level cleric only has 2 spell slots, but the new cleric will have 3 of the almost cure light would spells plus the 2 spell slots?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Statistically, the additional healing is offset by loss of overall healing power at higher levels (where Cure Serious Wounds would kick in). Given that most time is spent playing at lower levels, this might still be an issue.

It's why I said I'm thinking about it... because I am. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Seems to be a fair, balanced option as presented, including Smoot's clarification of how the "pool" can be split over over the course of the day.

In our games, clerics don't need to memorize healing spells at all - they fill their slots with everything else, but can always burn an appropriate level slot to cast a Cure X Wounds spell instead.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The problem with allowing changing one spell for a healing one is that the cleric will no use some spells as to not lose his healing ability
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Basically, I am with Solo on this one. Having an idea to still allow the traditional role of healing, while removing the option to become just a Heal-Bot in campaigns is good enough rationale for me. It is always rather deflating to have the Great War Cleric of Thor memorize nothing but healing options, especially when one makes the effort to have pantheons for clerics where they can have access to other cool powers.

Campaigns need healing available in some form, but it isn't so nice to have characters whose only function is memorizing healing spells.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Even when one allows spontaneous swapping of spells for healing instead, one will still tend to get clerics that choose the healing when the need is on them. So, no real substantive change in going this route... and I agree, like noted above, they hold onto spells so that they don't lose this healing option.

I rather like the idea to lose the "cure" spells so that other sorts of clerical magic gets utilized. The more I think about what Solo proposes here, the more I think it is a good idea.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Its all fun and games until you're cleric dies or is otherwise incapacitated or lost. Could we please make the lay on hands function more like the Blarney Stone (except for healing rather than the gift of gab). So as long as your cleric is alive you can haul him around with you and touch him for healing.

Just joking here, but, ummm, can we do this haha, just kidding. no really can we make the cleric a Lucky Charm.