BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: BF3 Strongholds of Sorcery

Post by Solomoriah »

CreateSpace rejected both the cover and interior, so I have to resubmit them. The cover was rejected for issues with how much margin I allowed for the spine, and I fixed that.

The interior? They rejected that because some of the fonts were rendering as boxes.

Guess what those were.

Gah. So I have to resubmit, and hope the minimum-wage serf who is tasked with reviewing the interior this time is a different guy and realizes those are SUPPOSED to be boxes.

This has happened before, by the way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

Dang it, I’ve found a couple of small things. I hope it’s not too late. I’m still looking, but I’ll try to post errors soon so you can determine if it’s worth holding off a release.

Here’s what I’ve found in “Tower of Light:”

Pg. 72, Caldemere’s stat block: his AB doesn’t take into account his +1 longsword (by comparison on the same page, Rurik’s +2 dagger is taken into account). This one is no big deal.

Pg. 73, 1. Entrance: The boxed text mentions the portcullis being on the southern wall. It should be northern wall. This one is more problematic. Maybe not worth holding things up for.

I’ll keep looking.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

I found a few more in “The Tower of Light.”

Pg. 74, 8. Pantry/Storeroom: The section heading isn’t bold anymore. It used to be, so this is new.

Pg. 75, 8. Pantry/Storeroom: There is no break between paragraphs.

Pg. 75, 10. Laboratory: The two boxed text sections look a little tight against the header and the other text. Spacing it out might help with any reformatting due to any changes from above.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Crapola.

Okay, so I'm making a combined edit/flow pass right now, fixing the items you found. All those spacing issues are due to LibreOffice losing the styling for those paragraphs; it's a long-standing bug that mainly serves to annoy me. A lot.

So I will make the corrections and upload a new R40, today, with any luck, and we go back into the one-week waiting period.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

Sounds good. I’ll wait for R40 to resume my review.

Have a good Thanksgiving.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

R40 uploading now.

Here's hoping it's all right this time.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

I started over again with "The Tower of Light." Here's what I found.

• Pg. 71, Leaded Skeletons: Aqua Lumina is not italicized in the first words of this page. It seems to be italicized everywhere else.
• Pg. 73, Guardroom: Caldemere’s name is in bold. His name, as well as Anita and Jendrich isn’t in bold anywhere else except the Foes section.
• Pg. 77, Bedroom: Liddan Nu Madar is still misspelled as Maddur twice.

All of these were issues in R37. I just missed the first two in my initial edit.

I'm going to go through the rest with a fine tooth comb. Sorry again for taking so long.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack.

Okay, none of these are show-stoppers... literally, in this case.

I'll have a new R40 proof copy in my hands on Friday. If you haven't found a really critical error (on the order of wrong directions, etc.) by Friday night, I'm going forward with printing for R40.

However, even if the errors remain small, there will be an R41 with those errors fixed, and it will eventually be the print edition.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

I completely agree. These are minor and shouldn’t hold up the print run.

I’ll let you know if I find anything way off.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Well, crapola.

I got a print proof today, opened it up, and saw that it said Release 39. What the holy heck? So I checked CreateSpace and saw that R40 is supposedly the current file, uploaded the 24th; I ordered the proof the 25th, and expected to get R40.

But see, here's what I think went wrong. I submitted R39 and it was rejected because of the checkboxes. I sent them a complaint via their support page at that point. About the same time they told me that they'd get to it after the Thanksgiving holiday, I got the additional errors from Cryanhall; so, assuming I had time, I replaced the rejected R39 with an updated R40.

I got two consecutive messages from them a few days later: one that said that R40 was rejected, and another from the support staff telling me they reinstated my rejected file. I'm guessing they got mixed up and activated the R39, even though the front end says R40 is current.

Gah.

SO I guess I'll go ahead with R41, and try not to rush them this time.

Cryanhall, are you still looking at this? I don't want to start on that R41 until you are done.