Resting House Rules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
CKenn1

Resting House Rules

Post by CKenn1 »

I’ve been using the resting and HP recovery rules as written and they seem a little slow.

Could you all post some of your house rules, or maybe direct me to a supplement?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Resting House Rules

Post by Solomoriah »

They are slow, in an attempt to more or less mimic real life. Normally, there will be a cleric in any serious adventuring group who can heal up the others within a few days after returning to town or some other place of safety.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
CKenn1

Post by CKenn1 »

I like the realism, don’t get me wrong. I’m just looking for advice on bumping it up just a little, I’m curious what others do.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Why would you want to?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
CKenn1

Post by CKenn1 »

Mostly curiosity, I guess a better question would be how many people use the rules as written? If they don’t what do they do that works for them that doesn’t break the game or turn the players into Wolverine?

If nobody shares I’m sure I’ll come up with something though. Or keep it as is since it’s solid anyway.
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

I run it as written, but my players have a cleric and a paladin in the party so they heal plenty fast.

If you’re looking for some options though the ‘81 rules of the original game have 1-3 hps a day healing with full, uninterrupted rest (roll 1d6, 1-2=1, 3-4=2, etc.).

Another option I’ve heard people do is to have them heal 1 hp a day plus Con bonus. However, to keep it consistent a Con penalty might add time to get back even 1 point. I’m not a fan of this, but it’s simple and suggests a variance of healing mirrored by the Con score.

Whatever you decide, if the healing ever gets too quick (like if there’s a cleric and paladin), just interrupt that full day of rest with an encounter. It will speed the pace of the campaign, keep them breathless looking for real sanctuary, and make them reasonably cautious.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I've seen groups use 1+level or a fraction of level for hp recovery. This lets it scale with characters leveling. This same group ruled that con modifier plus 1 (minimun 1) was the actual physical hp with everything beyond that was luck, bruises, etc... of the hp factor. This was their rationalization of the hp increasing on the leveling.

I'm sure this is more to it but I don't know it all.
CKenn1

Post by CKenn1 »

I like the idea of scaling it up according to the PCs level, here’s what I came up with.

* Heal 1 hit point per full rest outdoors or in dungeons.
* Heal 2 hit points per full rest at an inn.
* Add 1hp if a healer makes a successful Wisdom roll.
* Add hp equal to 1/2 character level rounded down.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

CON modifier added to hit points recovered from resting. (Minimum of 1HP per nights rests.

or

A character recovers 1 HD per rest. (Fighters recover 1d8, clerics 1d6, thieves and mages recover 1d4.

or

A resting character recovers 1 HP per level.

or

Combine all three. A resting character recovers 1HD + 1HP per level, + CON modifier. (again Minimum of 1 HP per rest)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

One of the most common rules is using the 3.x resting rules:

"With a full night’s rest (8 hours of sleep or more), you recover 1 hit point per character level. Any significant interruption during your rest prevents you from healing that night.

If you undergo complete bed rest for an entire day and night, you recover twice your character level in hit points."

I like the idea of either a percentage, like 25% (or HP/4) as a base, or the roll of a hit die for recovery (with extra dice rolled at later levels) but any of these changes would require tinkering the magical healing
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/