Online Character Generator

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SooperGenius

Online Character Generator

Post by SooperGenius »

Several years ago I wrote a javascript based character generator. You can find it here: http://basicfantasy.andrewcooperonline.com. It was fairly ugly but it worked fairly well. I've updated it a bit both with the UI and the underlying javascript.

The most visible change is that I've used Zurb Foundation as the CSS framework. It's a bit prettier (while still being basic) and it should be responsive.

The more important change is that I've upgraded the javascript code to ES6. For the non-technical, the key takeaway is that the code won't work on older browsers or IE-11. It will work for Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. It might work for other modern browsers but I haven't tried on them.

For those who have used this application or those who would like to use it, what functionality could be added to make it more useful to you? If you've found something difficult to use in the app, please, let me know. I'd like to do a bit more development on the application in the near future and I'd like to know what features would be best to implement.

Thanks,

Andrew
orobouros

Re: Online Character Generator

Post by orobouros »

Bookmarked! This is really handy. I had something similar in a spreadsheet, but this is a much cleaner approach.

Would you consider adding in an option to swap the highest stat into the class "main" stat, perhaps as a checkbox next to the randomize button. If I select a fighter, perhaps STR 9 and INT 17 isn't the best idea. (Might be fun to play, but probably not what most people are expecting.)

I'll probably use this tonight for a one-shot. We're creating characters and having all the details readily available will make the boring part easier and faster.
SooperGenius

Post by SooperGenius »

Orobouros,

I've implemented that feature. FighterMage has two primary attributes so it ignores any switching when you select that class. Otherwise it works fine. Let me know if you run into any bugs.
Haronniin

Post by Haronniin »

That is nice. This tool will really help me quickly create some pre-gens and NPCs.

Thanks.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

I had some pre-gens but this made it really easy to just drop in the stats, get all the details right and right away, and save them off as PDFs.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Spectre pops up under the thief skills. Other than that looks good.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Just had a thought: encoding various values in the URL. It might be convenient to link to a character sheet with specific values already filled in.

Perhaps that's outside the scope, but it would be handy.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

At that point you may want to use PCMatic.
bhonest2

Post by bhonest2 »

That is a great program! It would be cool if you could spit out a pdf version of the results. Thanks!
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

The results all fit on one page if you scale it down just a teeny tiny bit. I use this regularly to generate the pre-gen characters for my modules.