Beginner's Essentials

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlfTheRed

Re: Beginner's Essentials

Post by AlfTheRed »

Hello, I would suggest some edits on the R10.

- It should be specified that a Thief must be behind the target for the Sneak Attack and the use of the word "surprise" in its description could be misleading.

- Some items are missing from the Equipment list:
Belt Pouch / 1 gp / *
Cloak / 2 gp / 1
Lantern / 5 gp / 2
Lantern, Bullseye /14 gp / 3
Manacles (without padlock) / 6 gp / 4
Padlock (with 2 keys) / 12 gp / 1
Quill / 1 sp / **
Quill Knife / 1 gp / *
Spellbook (128 pages) / 25 gp / 1 ( I know it’s specified in the note, but maybe the price and weight are important)
Whistle / 1 gp / **

In R10 there is "Writing Ink" instead of "Ink, per jar". I know it's basically the same thing and the price is the same but "Ink, per jar" weights 1/2, not *

- In the Beasts of Burden section, after the Equipment, Camel, Donkey and Mule are missing and Pony War has the same stats as the normal Pony, but just costs double the price.
In the rule book there is no Pony War.
Also, the sentence under the table is different than the one in the rule book, which I think could be a bit more clear: "Due to their small stature, Dwarves and Halflings generally ride ponies rather than horses."

- Tack and Harness items are in the general equipment list in the rule book.

- In the Weapon Range table: Hammer should be Warhammer.

- Overland Travel adjustments:
Jungle, Mountains, Swamp → x1/3
Desert, Forest, Hills → x2/3
Clear, Plains, Trail → x 1
Road (Paved) → x1 1/3 (even though I still don’t understand what it means)

- Spellcasting rules:
"If a spellcaster is attacked on the Initiative number on which he or she is casting a spell, the spell is spoiled and lost."
Should be:
"If a spell caster is attacked (even if not hit) or must make a saving throw (whether successful or not) on the Initiative number on which he or she is casting a spell, the spell is spoiled and lost. As a specific exception, two spell casters releasing their spells at each other on the same Initiative number will both succed in their casting; one caster may disrupt another with a spell only if he or she has a better Initiative, and chooses to delay casting the spell until right before the other caster."

- Sleep spell: the last two paragraphs in the description are missing.

Now I think that's all :shock:
Last edited by AlfTheRed on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfredo
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'll let Solo and others weigh in, if all look good I'll correct for r11.
AlfTheRed

Post by AlfTheRed »

I have just updated my previous post with more stuff I found.
Alfredo
Bitan

Post by Bitan »

GreatTheAlfred wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:47 am
- In the Beasts of Burden section, after the Equipment, Camel, Donkey and Mule are missing and Pony War has the same stats as the normal Pony, but just costs double the price.
In the rule book there is no Pony War.
Hi,

I'll refer you to the core rules book, p.55. the description of ponies states that:
"Ponies can be trained for war, and the morale in parentheses above is for a war pony; this does not allow them to fight while carrying a rider."

Morale of pony = 6, pony war= 9.

Regards.
AlfTheRed

Post by AlfTheRed »

Bitan wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:13 pm
Hi,

I'll refer you to the core rules book, p.55. the description of ponies states that:
"Ponies can be trained for war, and the morale in parentheses above is for a war pony; this does not allow them to fight while carrying a rider."

Morale of pony = 6, pony war= 9.

Regards.
Oops! I don't know how I missed that, thank you!
Alfredo
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

One minor suggestion regarding the text on spell casting that appears on page 11:

"In combat, casting a spell usually takes the same time as making an attack. If a spellcaster is attacked on the Initiative number on which he or she is casting a spell, the spell is spoiled and lost."

Would it be possible to add this language (or a pointer to it) to the "Combat Cycle - #2 Act in Initiative Order" paragraph on page 9? I'm bringing this up because I've been asked several times how magic fits into combat by players who missed this bit at the end. As newbies they didn't get that "attack" was more than striking with weapons.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

The wording in the BE follows what's in the Core Rules; if Solo and others feel we need to clarify it at least in the BE I can edit it for r11.
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Since the BE is supposed to be for beginners, I think at least referencing the relevant page would be good. Experienced gamers would likely assume "attack" means more than just "hit with a weapon" but not new gamers. That's just an opinion from teaching the game to my computer programming students.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I agree with that. I'll start on r11 soon.
AlfTheRed

Post by AlfTheRed »

Will r11 be available for download?
Alfredo