[AA3] A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
ShieldBashful

Re: [AA3] A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Post by ShieldBashful »

Hello!

At your suggestion in the other thread I tried running this module for my 4-player group.

This was my first time DMing so I kinda forgot to include random encounters or keep track of loot (I was DMing by the seat of my pants because I woke up slow today and didn't quite get to RTFM.) We still had a blast despite my noobishness.

A criticism: The mini-sheets at the back not including character gear is kinda troublesome because our group had the one stat list with all the characters on it split between them to keep track of gear, although truth be told this didn't wind up causing any major problems. Still, if future editions could include gear on the minisheets somewhere, that would be handy.

Second, lots of vagueness, courtesy of my players being nosy and paranoid S.O.B.s (Is the front door locked? Does it have windows? Is there anything between the starting village and the temple?) and it took a while to explain the circle-mechanism to everyone because it said the slide was on "the Northern wall" but it was technically in the northeast corner of Room 2. I'm going to assume some of the vagueness is to let the GM fill in the gaps and reward clever players, though.

Overall, though, a nifty little adventure great at its introductory purpose, just needs some convenience tweaks like the aforementioned per-character gear lists, and I also have some typo reports I'll try to get back to you on when I'm properly rested.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Wow, thanks! "Somebody running a module I wrote" wasn't quite on my bucket list, but it's still rather satisfying to me. I should probably include somewhere in the text the recommendation that players copy the stats (and the equipment they get) onto a proper character sheet as an exercise to familiarize themselves. Those sheets are generated from the AMAZING Basic Fantasy Character Generator, so I get them in HTML/pdf format. Adding in some equipment might be tricky, but I think this is a pretty good point to work on.

As for a few details: There's no front door! Unless you want to add one. It's meant to allow players to worry about the bees first after their vision adjusts. But I probably should work in some details about windows and such. Likewise, the setup of the slide is very clear to me, but I wrote it! Since it's the central theme of the dungeon, I'll probably take some time in the pre-dungeon text to explain how it works.

Please let me know if you'd like your name added to the playtesters list.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

orobouros wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:58 pmPlease let me know if you'd like your name added to the playtesters list.
And the players as well. 8-)
ShieldBashful

Post by ShieldBashful »

I would definitely not mind either!
Danielaurence

Post by Danielaurence »

Hi, I'm planning on running this module as an introduction game for a group I'm forming (all newbies, including me). I just read through the module and it looks awesome! Looking forward to playing it. I love the simple but clever design.

As a proofreader by trade, I couldn't help but notice some typos still in the text, and some false positives that slipped through the spellchecker. I went ahead and took the liberty of making some changes to the ones I noticed, and I'm attaching my version here with tracked changes in case you'd like to look over it and add the fixes to your version.

Thanks for making this, and I'll let you know how it goes when I play it!
Attachments
A-Temple-of-Slides-and-Stairs-r6-TrackedChanges.odt
(337.2 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Good eyes! I'll fix pretty soon and re-upload. PM me if you'd like to be credited by your real name rather than forum handle.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

ShieldBashful wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm I would definitely not mind either!
I've started working on r7. Please PM me if you (and your players if they'd like to be included/listed) would like to be credited by your real name or your forum handle. Thanks!
Danielaurence

Post by Danielaurence »

chiisu81 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 pm Good eyes! I'll fix pretty soon and re-upload. PM me if you'd like to be credited by your real name rather than forum handle.
No credit necessary! But thanks anyway :)
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Hey, just checking in! I'll get those edits in, and thank you for all your help! I'm just busy these days and haven't had time to be on this forum.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r8 odt uploaded to first post.