[TSGS] The Simple Game System, 2nd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

[TSGS] The Simple Game System, 2nd Edition

Post by Solomoriah »

Back in 2008 I released an RPG game system four pages long called The Simple Game System, or TSGS. I used those rules for online PbP play here for two games, Dirigible of Doom and Space Force. However, those rules had some significant limitations, and despite some early support from several other members here I kind of abandoned them.

Well, for some reason I've gone back to those rules again. Exposure to a couple of new games has led me to a new mechanic, similar to the old mechanic but better in that it avoids pitfalls of the original version. So I've decided to post the new materials here for comment.

To be clear, no, this is not BFRPG material. Sorry. But as with Iron Falcon, I'm not going to spin up an all-new forum just to cover it. This is my house, so I'm putting it here.

https://tsgs.atomicunicycle.com/
Attachments
TheSimpleGameSystem-2E-R5.pdf
(245.4 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
TheSimpleGameSystem-2E-R5.odt
(140.57 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
ThorinSchmidt

Re: [TSGS] The Simple Game System, 2nd Edition

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

This looks NEATO! I really like the whole concept!

I have a question about the die rolling examples though. I'm not sure iif I'm just dense or what.
John and Barney decide to arm-wrestle. This is obviously a contest of strength, and both men are Strong, so each rolls three dice:
John: 5 1 1= 1
Barney: 4 4 1= 2
John loses, since he has only one success, while Barney has two.
Shouldn't the "snake eyes" rule be applied here? That would make it John: -1, and Barney: 1.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Page 2 "may add an a bonus die to the pool."

Regarding boxcars (BC) and snake eyes (SE):The chances of getting any of this increases as the player rolls more dice, which is good for BC, but bad for SE...
SE is a stronger effect than BC as the late has a chance of not happening, and even, causing a snake eyes...
How about an unified mechanic?
-You get to name one die as a special die before rolling, that die will be used for SE & BC.
-SE provides a -1 to the result while BC gives a +1.
Wanting a little more risk on them?
Allow the player to choose to re-roll the die in order to change the bonus or penalty
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Wow, Thorin, sloppy of me. I converted the examples from the original text, badly it appears.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

ThorinSchmidt wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:31 am I have a question about the die rolling examples though. I'm not sure if I'm just dense or what.
You may, or may not, be dense, but you're not wrong here as I noted above. I've uploaded a new version with better examples.
Dimirag wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 pm Page 2 "may add an a bonus die to the pool."
Ack. Missed this in the upload I just did. Will fix in R5.
Dimirag wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 pm Regarding boxcars (BC) and snake eyes (SE):The chances of getting any of this increases as the player rolls more dice, which is good for BC, but bad for SE...
This is why you are not required to roll bonus dice. If you've won already, rolling another die is a mistake.

But remember, every die you add to the roll has a 50% chance of adding to your result and only a 16.7% chance to reduce the total. In other words, even though snake eyes become more common with more dice, they don't skew the results. Another die is always "better," at least until you roll it.
Dimirag wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 pm How about an unified mechanic?
-You get to name one die as a special die before rolling, that die will be used for SE & BC.
-SE provides a -1 to the result while BC gives a +1.
Reduces the effect of boxcars, which is undesirable in this system.

Also remember, because boxcars don't "stack" you'll never roll more than twice the indicated number of dice.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Also, new home page:

https://tsgs.atomicunicycle.com
AlfTheRed

Post by AlfTheRed »

This looks great!

- In Character Generation: "For each ability, the equivalent disability is listed in parentheses beside it.", but there are no actual parentheses.

- I think it should be better explained how skills influence rolls with bonuses/penalties: a "normal" one gives one extra die and a "+" one gives two, am I right?

- When an opposed roll occurs, how do you manage bonus dice rolls?
"Any time a 6 is rolled on a die, the player (or GM) may add an a bonus die to the pool.
The decision of whether or not to add dice does not have to be made right away; the player may wait to see what result the opponent has rolled before choosing whether to add the additional dice or not. Of course, the opponent can do the same thing."

Let's say two characters rolled three dice with these results:

Char1 - 6 5 5 -> 3
Char2 - 6 4 2 -> 2

Char2 wants to roll his boxcar bonus die because he could tie getting to 3.
Char1 doesn't know whether he should roll his one or not because Char2 could just fail his boxcar but could also tie, and Char1 could win his boxcar getting to 4.
Can Char1 wait for Char2's boxcar and THEN decide whether to roll or not his?
Or do they have to roll their boxcars simultaneously?

- Effects of Being Wounded: "Immediately upon being wounded, a character must make a toughness roll against the total number of wounds he or she has accrued."

If Char1 gets hit by a normally strong character with a shortsword getting 1 wound point, he has to roll toughness against 1.
Let's say he saves and is now wounded (1).
Later on, he gets hit again by the same normally strong character with the same shortsword getting another wound point, reaching two wound points.
What does Char1 have to roll against? 1 or 2?
Is "the total number of wounds he or she accrued" the total of wound points of the single attack or the total of wound points that got stacked on him?
Elouin

Post by Elouin »

Absolutely amazing!

Just read through TSGS Core Rules and Dead Cities. I love how dead city gives you a setting with a somewhat complete Story, Game Mechanics, Items and Monsters on only 12 Pages.

Can you tell me which Fonts were used in Dead Cities?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

The header font is Queen Empress I believe. It's part of the BFRPG "font package", I'll PM you a link.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

On page 1 the URL needs to be replaced with the newer one.