Healing Option

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
The Angry Monk

Re: Healing Option

Post by The Angry Monk »

Koren_nRhys wrote:Seems to be a fair, balanced option as presented, including Smoot's clarification of how the "pool" can be split over over the course of the day.

In our games, clerics don't need to memorize healing spells at all - they fill their slots with everything else, but can always burn an appropriate level slot to cast a Cure X Wounds spell instead.
That's the way I would play clerics. Free to cast any spell within the confines of the number and level of spell slots.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Would the spell Heal be changed or removed? I'm not sure it would need to be. By that level the cleric would have enough healing to not need it, but might still prepare it because of the other effects.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

SmootRK wrote:Even when one allows spontaneous swapping of spells for healing instead, one will still tend to get clerics that choose the healing when the need is on them. So, no real substantive change in going this route... and I agree, like noted above, they hold onto spells so that they don't lose this healing option.

I rather like the idea to lose the "cure" spells so that other sorts of clerical magic gets utilized. The more I think about what Solo proposes here, the more I think it is a good idea.
To each his own, I suppose. To me, that's part of the resource management. Do I use the spells for healing, or other options? If healing, then other avenues suffer. It's part of the game, IMO, but I do see your point, and others may want other options for their campaigns.

I want the healing spells in the repertoire, but can see the value in adding a lay on hands ability as well. I'd be more likely to limit it to certain deities only and not across the board. Specialty priests are much more interesting and varied than the generic cleric in my book.

As was restated in the "Companion/Advanced" thread, the beauty of BFRPG is the modularity of it so that we can pick and choose for ourselves.
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Koren_nRhys wrote:I want the healing spells in the repertoire, but can see the value in adding a lay on hands ability as well. I'd be more likely to limit it to certain deities only and not across the board. Specialty priests are much more interesting and varied than the generic cleric in my book.
I agree with this. I'd like to see more spheres for clerics. That would make each a little different.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I like the idea, in general, but rather than the dice pool allow the cleric to lay on hands a number of times per day equal to their level, with each touch healing 1d6 hp.

Or instead of a flat 1d6, their touch restores 1 HD (1d8 for fighters, 1d6 for clerics, 1d4 mages and thieves.

To give it a bit more power the clerics wisdom modifier could be added to the roll.
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:22 amI'll be adding this to one of the options supplements (or making a new one) sometime soon, if no one finds an issue with this idea.
Did these healing option rules ever get added to a supplement?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No. There was, ultimately, no pressing interest.

If you feel like starting one, jump in!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Olgabelle

Post by Olgabelle »

I just encourage the whole party, not just the cleric, to invest in other healing magic, like potions. I also allow the option from one of the newer editions of the other game where a cleric can hot swap out any spell she has prepared for a CLW spell in an emergency.

Or they can hire a healer (low level cleric NPC) to tag along, but I usually make them kind of pacifist and tend to hang back and wait to heal people, instead of adding another offensive cleric to the party.
Barantor

Post by Barantor »

I wonder if increasing the die at certain levels would allow it to keep up with the needs of the characters without making it overpowered at lower levels?

Levels 1-4 - Cleric gets 1d4 per level per day
Levels 5-9 - Cleric gets 1d6 per level per day

10-15 - 1d8
16-20 - 1d10

This could be enhanced by the Cleric's wisdom modifier, but I don't know if that would be too much. Scaling like this keeps things modest at the lower end, but gives the cleric something to look forward to at certain levels. I think I would give this ability to the Priest class in the showcase by Kevin Smoot as it seems to fit a bit better in my opinion.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I think there are some factors to consider:
1-how much powerful should each healing be?
2-how many times can the cleric use this ability?
2-how streamline should the mechanic be?

One option is to just give a pool of CLW and another of CSW, its the closest to the original but requires a little more number crunching.

Now, combining the amount of healing per day is easy, and if we go with 1 per 2 levels the values are roughly the same
Combining the healing value is the complicated part, CLW is a constant value whether CSW increases with level.
After a lot of numbering I think that 1d6+half level could be a good point.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/