Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. I was not aware of that.

So perhaps I can feel a little better about the Wood Elemental. But I still feel the Timber-Wolf works better as the manifestation of the rage of a forest under attack, more or less as you created it, just without the elemental entanglement.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Just an fyi, thank my daughter's love of My Little Pony for the actual inspiration of the Timber Wolf.

Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah... rather cool, actually. Not a pony fan, but I can appreciate that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
ThorinSchmidt

Post by ThorinSchmidt »

Nothing to see here:

Just your average Treant out for his morning walk with his pet Timber-wolf, "Scruffles".
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" – Thorin
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

The Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2, Release 34 -- June 06, 2019
This new release includes edits by James Lemon and Chris Gonnerman. It's not a print release candidate; there are still a lot of entries that need to be reviewed, and the layout needs a lot more refinement.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#fieldguide2
teaman

Post by teaman »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am
This new release includes edits by James Lemon and Chris Gonnerman. It's not a print release candidate; there are still a lot of entries that need to be reviewed, and the layout needs a lot more refinement.

Thanks so much to you guys for ALL your hard work. I was THRILLED to see my illustrations in there, especially the fairies.

Really enjoyed seeing all the new and strange monsters too. Some will definitely be getting some time at my table soon.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

teaman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:09 pm
chiisu81 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks so much to you guys for ALL your hard work. I was THRILLED to see my illustrations in there, especially the fairies.

Really enjoyed seeing all the new and strange monsters too. Some will definitely be getting some time at my table soon.
I agree with sentiments. I am also quite THRILLED, as I have several contributions within this project and it is very satisfying having them become part of the BFRPG "world", so to say.

What a great collaborative project this is turning into. Lots of very creative and unique creatures for BFRPG; stuff that cannot be found elsewhere. Really breathes life into BFRPG project overall.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Next release we'll need to add Zaozabob's Mithridatium Bush artwork.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are my edits for Basic Fantasy Field Guide R34

Page 3 Amalgam – The last paragraph says that non-magical weapons will not work on these creatures, the AC doesn’t have the double dagger symbol to show this.

Page 12 Bloodshroud – Second paragraph
Currently:
The bloodshroud receives half of any damage suffered by the shroud, except for piercing or bludgeoning damage, which will be normal.
Should be:
The bloodshroud’s victim receives half of any damage suffered by the shroud, except for piercing or bludgeoning damage, which will be normal.

Page 15 Cheiropterans – First paragraph
Currently:
Its can still “see” through echolocation as a bat does.
Should be:
It can still “see” through echolocation as a bat does.

Page 23 Frost Dracomander
Claw attack for age 3 and 5 is 1d6
Claw attack for age 4 is 1d8

Page 23 Lightning Dracomander – Second paragraph
Currently:
Anyone in the area effect of both breath weapons in the same round suffers damage only from one of them …
Should be:
Anyone in the area of effect of both breath weapons in the same round suffers damage only from one of them …

Page 24 Ice Dragon – Second paragraph
Currently:
It can also disguise itself completely by burrowing underneath, often using this to ambush its prey, surprising on 1-5 on 1d6.
Should be:
It can also disguise itself completely by burrowing underneath the snow or ice, often using this to ambush its prey, surprising on 1-5 on 1d6.

Page 24 Ice Dragon should this have the age thing cleared up and an age chart made?

Page 27 Dwarrow – First paragraph
Currently:
Dwarrows hates Dwarves and will attack them first unless ordered otherwise.
Should be:
Dwarrows hate Dwarves and will attack them first unless ordered otherwise.

Page 50 Infernal, Malebranche – The image on the previous page (49) for Infernal, Hezrou would work better here. The Malebranche is described as carrying a two-tined fork, that is the weapon portrayed in the image. The Hezrou doesn’t have a flying movement, the Malebranche is described as having bat-like wings and has a flying movement type.

Page 52 Jotenkin – Third paragraph
Currently:
Each joten longboat will be led by a chieftain of 8+8 hit dice, …
Should be:
Each jotenkin longboat will be led by a chieftain of 8+8 hit dice, …

Page 62 Pangotherium – First paragraph
Currently:
A Pangotherium looks like a grizzly bear with the heads, hides, and rather-enlarged claws of scaly anteaters.
Should be:
A Pangotherium looks like a grizzly bear with the head, hide, and rather-enlarged claws of a scaly anteater.

Page 63 Phoenix – First paragraph
Currently:
It can only harmed by magical weapons, …
Should be:
It can only be harmed by magical weapons, …

Page 64 The Quizmaster – Second paragraph
Currently:
The quizmaster will approach creatures and in a deep slow voice will ask complicated questions; without an answer in within 1d4-1 rounds, the quizmaster will attack the questioned creature until the question is correctly answered. An inappropriate answer will provoke an immediate psychic attack that cannot be avoided. It will persist until 1d6 questions are answered. If the creature tries to run away, the quizmaster will pursue it until the questions are answered or the creature dies.
Should be:
The quizmaster will approach creatures and in a deep slow voice will ask up to 1d6 complicated questions; if the question is not answered within 1d4-1 rounds, the quizmaster will attack the questioned creature until the question is correctly answered or the questioned creature is dead. An incorrect answer will provoke an immediate psychic attack that cannot be avoided doing 2d8 damage. If the questioned creature tries to run away, the quizmaster will pursue it until the questions are answered or the creature dies.

Page 73 Snake, Rainbow – First paragraph
Currently:
The effect of this poison is as if a bitten creature has had the spell confusion cast for 1d4 rounds.
Should be:
The poison has the same effect as a confusion spell cast for 1d4 rounds.

Page 74 Should the Spitting Slug be listed as Slug, Spitting and then moved to Page 72 above the Snail. Giant?

Page 74 Spitting Slug – Third paragraph
Currently:
Most human-sized creatures take 1d6+3 rounds to engulf a limb, …
Should be:
Most human-sized creatures take 1d6+3 rounds to be engulfed, …

Page 84 Should Wolf Spider, Giant be listed as Spider, Giant Wolf since it is a variant of a spider and not a wolf?

I know there is probably more flow editing that needs to be done. And a load of new images would be a help too.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r35 emailed to Solo.