CS1 Castle by the Sea

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: CS1 Castle by the Sea

Post by chiisu81 »

CS1 Castle by the Sea, Release 16 -- June 06, 2019: This new release contains further edits by James Lemon, and a possibly final layout pass by Chris Gonnerman. As of right now, this is a print release candidate, so please take a look and let us know right away if you find any errors or flow issues.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#cs1
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Caer Mortling - header says "Introduction"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Well, crap.

So...

Announcing!

CS1 Castle by the Sea, Release 17 -- June 12, 2019
James Lemon found a flow error (specifically, the header of Caer Mortling was wrong), Chris Gonnerman fixed it, and this is the new print release candidate.

My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Castle by the Sea Version 17 Corrections

There are differences between the ODT and PDF Files the HP blocks in the ODT don’t appear to be the same size or have the same spacing as the blocks in the PDF file.

Page 3 – Caer Mortling – Room 3 Throne room – Shadow HP Blocks

In the ODT there are several of the HP Blocks for the Shadows have an extra tab between the blocks and the next line character. This is on lines one, three, five and seven. The PDF file doesn’t have the extra spaces.

Page 4 – Caer Mortling – Room 4 Northwestern Tower – Steel Spider HP Blocks

In the ODT the second line of blocks is aligned to the HP number on the first line and goes to the left from there, essentially the second row of blocks appears in the margin of the page. In the PDF the second line of blocks starts under the first block and goes right like it is suppose to.

Page 9 – Castle of the Unknown – Room 1 Bridge – Bugbear HP Blocks

In the ODT there is one of the HP Blocks for the Bugbears that has an extra tab between the blocks and the next line character. This is on line seven. The PDF file doesn’t have the extra space.

Page 10 – Castle of the Unknown – Room 3 Throne Room – Bone Horror HP Blocks

In the ODT the first Bone Horror entry has an extra tab between the HP number and the first block. The PDF doesn’t have this extra tab space and is aligned like it should be.

Page 11 – Castle of the Unknown – Room 7 Northeast Tower – Haunted Bone HP Blocks

In the ODT the last (fourth) Haunted Bone entry has an extra tab between the HP number and the first block. The PDF doesn’t have this extra tab space and is aligned like it should be.

Page 12 – Castle of the Unknown – Room 9 Pumpkin Patch – Jack O’Lantern HP Blocks

In the ODT the first Jack O’Lantern entry has an extra tab between the HP number and the first block. The PDF doesn’t have this extra tab space and is aligned like it should be.

Page 29 – Fortress of the Barbarian Queen – Room 9 Makeshift Crypt 1 – Crypt Dweller HP Blocks

In the ODT there are some of the HP Blocks for the Crypt Dwellers that have an extra tab between the blocks and the next line character. This is on lines one, and four. The PDF file doesn’t have the extra spaces.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

What version of LibreOffice do you have? I'm on the latest 6.2, and there was a recent document I was looking through for corrections (not sure if it was CS1, but it was something on the Downloads page) and I noticed a lot of things were off, but the PDF was just fine. This means Solo's copy of LO is displaying them just fine, and it's likely he's running the version of LO that comes with Ubuntu that's not as recent (it may not even be 6.x (he might be on Ubuntu 18.04 or even 16.04.x, I know he tends to stick to the LTS releases).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm presently running LibreOffice 6.0.7.3. The extra spaces and/or tabs don't appear in the PDF because the process of generating the PDF converts most tab characters to absolute positions, and removes extraneous spaces. While I appreciate having these issues pointed out, in general if the PDF is correct we don't need to worry too much about them. However, some of the HP checkboxes were irregularly wordwrapped in Caer Mortling, which I did need to fix... those creatures with more than 20 HP were allowed to wordwrap, instead of a hard paragraph break being inserted. This leads to some issues in formatting, so I inserted the hard breaks and removed the extra spaces. I think I got all the extra bits Al called out above.

I'm not going to put R18 out until Francisco gets his last piece uploaded and I integrate it. I've redone the flow of Caer Mortling rather a lot this evening, so it will need scrutiny.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

New forum member and newbie BFRPG player here....
Last night was my first time GM-ing BFRPG for a couple friends and my 11 year old son, and I started with "Call of Doom". I just wanted to say we all had a great time, and to thank you for putting together this material.

If the adventure had typographical errors, I didn't notice. In terms of play, I found some of the encounters a bit overpowered. It all would have gone smoother if their level 1 cleric actually succeeded in turning undead, but since that wasn't the case the party had to survive by using their noggins and lots of retreating. As my son learned, walking into a room full of corpses and poking the first dead body you find is usually not a good idea.

The funny thing is, he had been playing some D&D 5th edition, and I thought he'd never be open to an OSR ruleset. On the contrary, we're both converted to BFRPG. (Now where do I get a refund for all the $$$ I spent on 5e tomes???)

Anyhoo, thanks again for creating stellar material, and I look forward to playing (and maybe even contributing) more.

Thanks,
Kyle AKA "Bumblepig"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks Kyle! Sorry if it's overpowered... I have a hard time creating 1st level adventures that aren't killers, it seems. (Just a warning, BF1 is tougher than it probably should be too...)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

CS1 Castle by the Sea, Release 18 -- August 06, 2019
Many thanks to Francisco Chavez for donating several pieces of artwork for this module! Despite my overall unhappiness with some large blank areas (page numbers 8 and 25, I'm looking at you...) I'm calling this one a print release candidate. As usual, please download this one and check it over thoroughly, and report any issues in the comments thread!

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Wow, no comments. Chi, are we looking good here?