CS2 The Dark Temple

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: The Dark Temple CONTEST ENTRY THREAD

Post by chiisu81 »

Bumblepig wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am - There were a couple places where I edited paragraph settings from their default to avoid awkward page breaks. Specifically, I did this for a long block of box text ("Long John Ahab's Tale of Woe") as well as some parts of "The Ceremony". If editing paragraph formatting at this stage is a no-no let me know and I won't do it in the future.
Great to see more entries. 8-) For your own submission I'd say this is fine, but if/when the compilation is put together Solo and I will likely do our own "layout massaging" anyways.

I'm slowwwwly working on my entry. Have started with putting in rough details/descriptions of each room, to help me with what I envision for this environment. I also have my PC level range in mind; I need to start flipping through the Monster Index to put together some initial choices for creatures/opponents, as well as treasure. Will I finish by Friday? Hmmmmmmmmmm....
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Bumblepig wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am Here's my submission: The Children of Zewlac
I hope folks enjoy it. Feedback is welcome. :)
Excellent, more fresh meat! :D Remember everyone, Friday at 6:00pm CDT is the deadline!
Bumblepig wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am Given that I've never submitted to BFRPG before, here are a few things:
- There were a couple places where I edited paragraph settings from their default to avoid awkward page breaks. Specifically, I did this for a long block of box text ("Long John Ahab's Tale of Woe") as well as some parts of "The Ceremony". If editing paragraph formatting at this stage is a no-no let me know and I won't do it in the future.
Generally, you should leave this to me. I hold off tweaking paragraph settings until the very last moment to avoid having to touch them multiple times.
Bumblepig wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am - For flavor I added a few illustrations: the giant cockroach from BFRPG, a hand-drawn glyph (I hereby relinquish all rights to this "art" etc. etc.), and a part of an image lifted from the Wikipedia entry on "cockroach":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach ... oaches.png
This is fine in general; we'll probably replace the Wikipedia image to avoid excess legal text, but for now it's okay. We have cockroach artwork from the Field Guide project that may work.
Bumblepig wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am - I really appreciate this opportunity to contribute creative stuff via an open forum! Thanks very much to those who make this possible.
Thank you for your submission, and good luck!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Bumblepig wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am Here's my submission: The Children of Zewlac

- I really appreciate this opportunity to contribute creative stuff via an open forum! Thanks very much to those who make this possible.
Bumblepig,

Thank you, for the submission. I've really enjoyed reading how every one has taken a different spin on this set of maps.

I looked over your submission and found these issues. If you want, you can change it back. If you make any other changes, make sure to update the release number.

I took the 'ea.' from the Monster Blocks XP entries. There were several through out the document.

Page 3 – Long John Ahab’s Tale of Woe boxed text – paragraph 12 – repeated word
Removed second ‘the’ from first sentence.

Page 5 – The Zewlac Cult – Paragraph 2 after Core Beliefs - change ‘the’ to ‘to’; added ‘was’ and ‘with’ to second sentence to clear up language.
Was:
… (“oh she's in the temple somewhere”, or “perhaps she stepped out the pick flowers”) In fact, the cultists are all aware that she displeased Zewlac and then, fearing for her life, fled to the temple's lower level and has not been seen since.
Changed to:
… (“oh she's in the temple somewhere”, or “perhaps she stepped out to pick flowers”) In fact, the cultists are all aware that she was displeased with Zewlac and then, fearing for her life, fled to the temple's lower level and has not been seen since.

Page 19 – Meditation Chember (Elinor) – Boxed text – removed ‘her’ since ‘Elinor’ is there for clearity.
Was:
From her Elinor's lifeless body floats a transparent figure.
Changed to:
From Elinor's lifeless body floats a transparent figure.

I saved it as release 2 and it is attached below. Good luck in the competition.
Attachments
Dark Temple Entry-The Children of Zewlac r2.odt
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 268 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... Chi will just put the "ea." back in the XP entries ...
Cryanhall

Post by Cryanhall »

I'm furiously trying to finish my submission in time for the deadline. I'm not sure I'll make it. I have a few more questions.

1. If we don't make the deadline for the contest, are we still welcome to submit it to the Workshop anyway for possible inclusion in a future anthology? Or will only the valid submissions be considered?

2. Will we be able to clean up and continue to polish our entry after the voting/judging takes place and a winner declared?

3. Must every room have read-aloud text? Is it okay to not have any read-aloud?

Thanks
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Cryanhall wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 am I'm furiously trying to finish my submission in time for the deadline. I'm not sure I'll make it. I have a few more questions.

1. If we don't make the deadline for the contest, are we still welcome to submit it to the Workshop anyway for possible inclusion in a future anthology? Or will only the valid submissions be considered?

2. Will we be able to clean up and continue to polish our entry after the voting/judging takes place and a winner declared?

3. Must every room have read-aloud text? Is it okay to not have any read-aloud?

Thanks
I am FAR from an authority here, but I'm assuming the answer to #3 is something along the lines of "It's your adventure, so if you don't feel a room needs the text then don't put any." But in the end Solo will be able to give an official answer.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cryanhall wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 am I'm furiously trying to finish my submission in time for the deadline. I'm not sure I'll make it. I have a few more questions.

Late entries will not be considered for the contest, but yeah, we'd include them in the final multimodule.
Cryanhall wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 am 2. Will we be able to clean up and continue to polish our entry after the voting/judging takes place and a winner declared?
Of course. I'm not a monster... :D However, we'll probably assemble the multimodule right after the voting is over, so you'll be contributing updates and changes to that work.
Cryanhall wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 am 3. Must every room have read-aloud text? Is it okay to not have any read-aloud?
You're being judged by your peers. If you don't include boxed text for a room, and it's really needed, that might hurt your score; however, a good adventure that's not quite "finished" still has a fair chance of winning. Everyone should know by now that further polishing will happen after the contest, making the final print version even better than the one voted on.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

AlMan wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:24 pm

- I really appreciate this opportunity to contribute creative stuff via an open forum! Thanks very much to those who make this possible.
Bumblepig,

Thank you, for the submission. I've really enjoyed reading how every one has taken a different spin on this set of maps.

I looked over your submission and found these issues. If you want, you can change it back. If you make any other changes, make sure to update the release number.
Thanks AlMan!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

:D
Attachments
Descent-Into-Culwich-r1.pdf
(494.65 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Descent-Into-Culwich-r1.odt
(255.67 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
notsurehowimanagedtofinish.gif
notsurehowimanagedtofinish.gif (2.8 MiB) Viewed 4726 times
teaman

Post by teaman »

How many entries are there so far? Hope you got lots of great ones.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games