Combat with Floor Plans

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
entr0py

Re: Combat with Floor Plans

Post by entr0py »

Nice work... but;
For someone who doesn't use MSWord, can we have a "searchable" PDF in the download section?
I've already tried reprinting from both Openoffice and Onedrive Word.
Each slightly changes the formatting in annoying ways; enuf that the pics or the captions are jank.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Huh, that's strange. You're right, the PDF copy in Showcase doesn't return any search results. I re-created a PDF from the Word document, and that one did work. Attached here.
Attachments
BF-Combat-with-Floor-Plans-r4.pdf
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That is VERY odd.

I'd love to have a version of this in ODT format, but it looks like a slog to convert.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

I've just uploaded a new version that corrects the section on "Attacks from Behind" (thanks pawibus!) and tidies up the copyright dates (thanks chiisu81!).

The inability to search the PDF seems to be related to the fonts, possibly in combination with my ageing copy of Word. Just now, prior to reinstalling the BFRPG fonts, I was able to create a searchable .pdf without any difficulties (everything was in default Arial). As soon as I installed the BFRPG fonts, I had the same issues described above. So I'm afraid the new Release 5 PDF is not searchable (chiisu81 ... :)) .

Solomoriah ... this is probably way too easy, but I've tried saving the new version in ODT format from Word. It looks fine when I open it in Word; I guess it may not when it's opened in something else. But if someone wants to try, I've attached it here.
Attachments
BF-Combat-with-Floor-Plans-r5.odt
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 313 times
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

r5 looks okay to me in libreoffice.
There's a table on pages 4 and 5 that's split. Not a big deal, but I think it's meant to be on just page 4.

On a technical note, I'd really address the diagonal movement rules. Diagonal movement is 41% faster than cardinal movement. This could have weird interactions with ranged weapon attacks or spell areas. Do they also fly farther along the diagonal? Otherwise running away diagonally from an area of effect is always going to be better than running along a cardinal direction.

An easy way of counting diagonal movement is that the first (and third, and fifth) diagonal movement costs the same as cardinal movement, but the 2nd (and fourth, and sixth, etc) cost twice as much as cardinal movement. You get a bit less reach moving diagonally, but it's a difference of only about 6% from "as the crow flies" instead of 41%.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Yep, if you read back through this topic, the diagonal movement rules seem to be the most controversial aspect of this supplement. In the original release, they did work in exactly the way you describe. I subsequently changed them following play-testing in my own game for the simpler approach.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. Perhaps I'll restore the 5'/10/5' approach as the default, and offer the 5'/5'/5' as an option.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I do the "every second diagonal counts double" in my own game.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so I finally worked my way through this one, flailing wildly left and right with my Layout Hammer +3, and here are the results.
Attachments
BF-Combat-with-Floor-Plans-r5.1.pdf
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 318 times
BF-Combat-with-Floor-Plans-r5.1.odt
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 300 times
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Thanks Solo, much appreciated. I solemnly promise not to do any more edits in MS-Word.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

:)
Attachments
nevergonnablinknevergonnagiveyouup.gif
nevergonnablinknevergonnagiveyouup.gif (1.58 MiB) Viewed 6012 times