Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 1

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

The Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1, Release 36 -- September 18, 2019
More edits by Alan Vetter has led to yet another release, but this one isn't a print release candidate; parts of it are a mess, and it will need more layout hammering before it can be printed. But hey, we're probably not done with rewrites anyway.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#fieldguide
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

The Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1, Release 37 -- October 25, 2019
This release contains rewrites and some minor revisions to the Werecockroach and Odeum. Mostly this is a reorganization of the descriptive text to put it in proper form, but the explanation of the Werecockroach's resistance to disease and poison has been changed very slightly.

This is how you get me to revise the Field Guide... use Field Guide monsters in an adventure I'm planning to run. :D
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r38 in Projects folder. Corrected "Damage" line in each entry's stat-block. Some of the four-figure XP values need a comma (I tried to type but it disappears when I click out of the table).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The comma thing is because that cell is formatted as a number. I'll try to remember to get at least some of them fixed. I probably won't work on this until tomorrow night though.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

The Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1, Release 38 -- November 06, 2019
This release comes after another editing pass by James Lemon, and a few formatting and layout corrections by Chris Gonnerman.

AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Took a pass at this one:

Added double spaces after sentences where there was only one space.

In the descriptive text of the monsters changed the symbol (‘) to feet. Left the symbol in the areas of Movement or in W x D x H area descriptions.

Page 1 – Armor Class paragraph
Added parentheses around dagger and double dagger examples to match the asterisk example in the next section.

Page 4 – Ankheg last paragraph
Took double space out from between words in middle of sentence.

Page 6 – Girallon first paragraph
Was:
When it spots or smells prey, it charges.
Changed to:
When a girallon spots or smells prey, it charges.

Page 8 – Armorollo first paragraph – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
When curled up it resembles a rock, as its top portion is covered in thick rock-colored plates.
Changed to:
When curled up an armorollo resembles a rock, as its top portion is covered in thick rock-colored plates.

Was:
It moves by rolling across the ground at high speed, springing open at the last moment to attack with its sharp claws.
Changed to:
An armorollo moves by rolling across the ground at high speed, springing open at the last moment to attack with its sharp claws.

Page 8 – Badger, Giant – first paragraph – cutting down on pronouns (they)
Was:
They are squat and broad, and they are fast burrowers.
Changed to:
Giant badgers are squat and broad, and are fast burrowers.

Page 9 – Banshees – First paragraph – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
It usually resembles a colorless, ash-white elf in ragged clothing and chains. It understands whatever languages it spoke in life, but rarely speaks, instead sobbing uncontrollably.
Changed to:
A banshee usually resembles a colorless, ash-white elf in ragged clothing and chains. The banshee understands whatever languages it spoke in life, but rarely speaks, instead sobbing uncontrollably.

Page 9 – Banshees – Second paragraph – repeated word and cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
It it can be Turned by a Cleric, as a vampire. One can walk on water, but if it crosses running water it loses the ability to drain energy or to wail for 2d12 days.
Changed to:
A banshee can be Turned by a Cleric, as a vampire. A banshee can walk on water, but if it crosses running water, loses the ability to drain energy or wail for 2d12 days.

Page 9 – Barghest second paragraph – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
It is tenacious; if a barghest fails its morale check and flees, it will return in 1d6 turns to attack again.
Changed to:
Barghest are tenacious; if a barghest fails a morale check and flees, it will return in 1d6 turns to attack again.

Page 9 – Giant Flying Fox Bat first paragraph – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
It has typical bat senses, having a natural sonar that grants it Darkvision to a range of 90 feet.
Changed to:
A giant flying fox has typical bat senses, having a natural sonar that grants it Darkvision to a range of 90 feet.

Page 12 – Boggart – paragraph 2 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
A boggart has a passive form of telepathy that allows it to know the greatest fear of any creature they see and project an illusory image of it.
Changed to:
A boggart has a passive form of telepathy so it knows the greatest fear of any opposing creature. The boggart then projects an illusory image of the feared item over itself.

Page 18 – Choker – paragraph 2
Was:
A chokers is supernaturally quick, and always acts first in a combat round.
Changed to:
A choker is supernaturally quick, and always acts first in a combat round.

Page 23 – Delver – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
It is roughly 15 feet long and 12 feet tall. It has a huge mouth and slits for eyes. It has spongy flipper-like arms, each of which ends in six black digging nails. Its ability to sense vibrations gives the equivalent of Darkvision with a 60 foot range.
Changed to:
A delver is roughly 15 feet long and 12 feet tall. It has a huge mouth and slits for eyes. Delvers have spongy flipper-like arms, each of which ends in six black digging nails. A delver’s ability to sense vibrations gives the equivalent of Darkvision with a 60 foot range.

Page 23 – Delver – paragraph 2 – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
It prefers to fight from its tunnel, which it uses to protect its flanks while lashing out with its two flippers, causing 1d6 points of damage each (plus the corrosive damage noted above).
Changed to:
A delver prefers to fight from its tunnel, which it uses to protect its flanks while lashing out with its two flippers, causing 1d6 points of damage each (plus the corrosive damage noted above).

Page 26 – Dinosaur, Raptor – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
It is an avid predator and a skilled pack-hunter. It attacks by either biting or leaping and using its formidable claws. Against large prey it will bite and hold on in order to use its claws for automatic damage each round; however while holding its AC drops to 11.
Changed to:
Deinonychus is an avid predator and a skilled pack-hunter, that attacks by biting or leaping and using its formidable claws. Against large prey a deinonychus will bite and hold on in order to use its claws for automatic damage each round; however while holding its AC drops to 11.

Page 26 – Dragon, Brown – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
It favors rocky cliff-sides and canyons for its home. It is a highly territorial but cowardly hermit, and even a mated pair will jealously separate their treasure from one another.
Changed to:
A brown dragon favors rocky cliff-sides and canyons for its home. The brown dragon is a highly territorial but cowardly hermit, and even a mated pair will jealously separate their treasure from one another.

Page 28 – Eels – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
They are territorial and aggressive in defense of their lair.
Changed to:
Common eels are territorial and aggressive in defense of their lair.

Page 35 – Grick – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
Its body coloration is uniformly dark with a pale underbelly, and its tentacles attach just behind its head; the tentacles are segmented like the body of an earthworm.
Changed to:
A grick’s body coloration is uniformly dark with a pale underbelly, and the tentacles attach just behind its head; the tentacles are segmented like the body of an earthworm.

Page 35 – Grick – paragraph 2 – cutting down on pronouns (it)
Was:
When prey ventures near it lashes out with its tentacles. Its jaws are small and weak compared to its body mass, so rather than consume its kill immediately, a grick normally drags its victim back to its lair to be eaten at its leisure.
Changed to:
When prey ventures near, a grick lashes out with its tentacles. The jaws are small and weak compared to its body mass, so rather than consume its kill immediately, a grick normally drags victims back to the lair to be eaten at leisure.

Page 36 – Guard Fern – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
It is immune to acids, and has a fire-retardant structure that reduces all fire-based damage by half (a successful saving throw means it takes no damage).
Changed to:
Guard ferns are immune to acids, and have a fire-retardant structure that reduces all fire-based damage by half (a successful saving throw means it takes no damage).

Page 37 – Headless Horseman – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
It appears in knightly garb, similar to what it wore in life. Of course, as it name indicates it is headless, but in lieu of its head it may wear a jack-o-lantern, helmet, or other decoration.
Changed to:
A headless horseman appears in knightly garb, similar to what it wore in life. Of course, as the name indicates it is headless, but a jack-o-lantern, helmet, or other decoration could be worn above the neck.

Page 37 – Headless Horseman – paragraph 2 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
Each headless horseman is a Fighter with a level equivalent to its HD, and it attacks appropriately. It can be Turned by Clerics (as a vampire, but roll at -4).
Changed to:
Each headless horseman is a Fighter with a level equivalent to its HD, and attacks appropriately. The headless horseman can be Turned by Clerics (as a vampire, but roll at -4).

Page 41 – Infernal, Imp – paragraph 3
Was:
An imps has a bonus of +4 on all saving throws against magic (including wands).
Changed to:
An imp has a bonus of +4 on all saving throws against magic (including wands).

Page 53 – Octopus Fungi – paragraph 2 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
If anyone tries to pass through it, it will "unfurl" into a single long tentacle and try to wrap around the victim and drag him or her back to its biting core.
Changed to:
If anyone tries to pass an octopus fungi, it will "unfurl" into a single long tentacle and try to wrap around the victim and drag him or her back to the biting core.

Page 53 – Odeum – paragraph 5
Was:
If successfully Turned by a Cleric while possessing a host, the host is allowed a new saving throw, with success resulting the the expulsion of the odeum
Changed to:
If successfully Turned by a Cleric while possessing a host, the host is allowed a new saving throw, with success resulting in the expulsion of the odeum.

Page 54 – Orc, Snow – paragraph 2
Was:
While cold-based magic does affect it, it saves against it as a 10th-level Fighter rather than 1st-level.
Changed to:
While cold-based magic does affect it, a snow orc saves against cold magic as a 10th-level Fighter rather than 1st-level.

Page 57 – Plaque hound – paragraph 2
Was:
A plague hounds can be Turned by a Cleric (as a wight) and it shares the common undead traits of immunity to sleep, charm, and hold spells.
Changed to:
A plague hound can be Turned by a Cleric (as a wight) and it shares the common undead traits of immunity to sleep, charm, and hold spells

Page 58 – Giant Praying Mantis – paragraph 1 – cutting down on pronouns
Was:
It ambushes and feeds on anything smaller than itself. It possesses a chameleon-like ability to change its exoskeleton color to blend in with its surroundings.
Changed to:
A giant praying mantis ambushes and feeds on anything smaller than itself. Giant praying mantis possess a chameleon-like ability to change its exoskeleton color to blend in with the surroundings.

Page 58 – Pseudodragon – paragraph 1
Was:
A pseudodragon covest shiny but worthless objects such as broken glass.
Changed to:
A pseudodragon covets shiny but worthless objects such as broken glass.

CoVest is a financial term, covet is the desire for an item.

Page 75 – Violet Fungus – paragraph 1
Was:
The attacks of the fungus is poisonous; any creature hit must save vs. Poison or lose one point of Constitution.
Changed to:
The attacks of the fungus are poisonous; any creature hit must save vs. Poison or lose one point of Constitution

Version 39 has been uploaded to the Projects folder.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are some questionable things I had:

Section Headers starting on Page 2 show ‘INTRODUCTION’ when the actual section is ‘MONSTERS’. I tried to change it, but it would change page 1 too, which should stay ‘INTRODUCTION’.

Page 7 – Ape, Winged image
The image covers half the last line of the paragraph above it.

Page 22 – Should Death Dragon be listed as Dragon, Death since it is ‘a sort of “dragon lich”’.

Page 50 – Nazgorean Digester – paragraph 2
Currently:
A digester attacks by spraying a gout of acid in a cone 20 feet long and 20 feet wide at the base, causing 8d8 points of damage to everything in the area.

Should this be ‘a cone 20 feet long and 20 feet wide at the far end’? 20 foot wide base seems a bit excessive.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

AlMan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am Page 22 – Should Death Dragon be listed as Dragon, Death since it is ‘a sort of “dragon lich”’.
I think this was covered in a previous post on this thread (will have to find it); I think consensus was to leave it.
AlMan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am Page 50 – Nazgorean Digester – paragraph 2
Currently:
A digester attacks by spraying a gout of acid in a cone 20 feet long and 20 feet wide at the base, causing 8d8 points of damage to everything in the area.

Should this be ‘a cone 20 feet long and 20 feet wide at the far end’? 20 foot wide base seems a bit excessive.
I think it was intended how you're imagining it. While you're interpreting it as 20' wide at the mouth (the term "base"), I'm envisioning "base" being where the spray is being aimed, ie the ground and such. In the Core Rules Dragon entry, it's described as "width" rather than "base" (p. 70, "cone-shaped" section).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am Here are some questionable things I had:

Section Headers starting on Page 2 show ‘INTRODUCTION’ when the actual section is ‘MONSTERS’. I tried to change it, but it would change page 1 too, which should stay ‘INTRODUCTION’.
Looks like a display glitch, because it's okay for me.
AlMan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am Page 7 – Ape, Winged image
The image covers half the last line of the paragraph above it.
It shouldn't PDF that way, because the image is transparent and arranged to back. The overlap is intentional.
AlMan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am Page 22 – Should Death Dragon be listed as Dragon, Death since it is ‘a sort of “dragon lich”’.
This one came up a while back. Generally you would be right, but rearranging it breaks the flow something awful. It pulls the Delver up a page, breaking the Derej Pit Creatures up; I like having them on one page as they are now. It's imperfect, but right now I don't have a better approach.
AlMan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am Page 50 – Nazgorean Digester – paragraph 2
Currently:

"Base" in this case refers to the wide end. It's a usage that caused me headaches back in the '80's when I first saw it, but by now I know what it means. However, your way is likely better, so I'm going ahead with that change.

------------

SO... I think I've been running in a circle here, trying to make this book "perfect." I do think we've improved the writing quite a bit, and the added artwork is nice too. How would you guys feel about making this a print release candidate?

Announcing!

The Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1, Release 39 -- November 12, 2019
Alan Vetter has had another go at this one, and I think it's looking pretty good!

AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:04 am How would you guys feel about making this a print release candidate?
That would be fine with me. If you think it is good enough.