Galactic Encounters Role-Playing Game

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Clever_Munkey

Re: Basic Scifi Role-Playing Game

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I know you want this to be uniquely Basic, and I’m sure anything you do will have your own flair, but I’d like to recommend some inspirational reading.
You got me seriously excited, about this, and I hope these help with your block.

Labyrinth Lord’s creators made “Ape’s Victorious,” and “Mutant Future.” These do not have ship rules, and are obviously very setting specific, but might offer some nice insights.

I would also recommend reading “Stars Without Number” by the eminent Kevin Crawford (This is the System I’m currently playing in, and I greatly enjoy it). There are actually 2 editions that have significant differences between each other. The second edition is my preferred iteration, but both have their merits. Both editions also have free trial editions that include the full rules, and simply omit all the wonderful world building tables and extra supplemental rules that he is known for.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Clever_Munkey wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:27 am I know you want this to be uniquely Basic, and I’m sure anything you do will have your own flair, but I’d like to recommend some inspirational reading.
You got me seriously excited, about this, and I hope these help with your block.

Labyrinth Lord’s creators made “Ape’s Victorious,” and “Mutant Future.” These do not have ship rules, and are obviously very setting specific, but might offer some nice insights.

I would also recommend reading “Stars Without Number” by the eminent Kevin Crawford (This is the System I’m currently playing in, and I greatly enjoy it). There are actually 2 editions that have significant differences between each other. The second edition is my preferred iteration, but both have their merits. Both editions also have free trial editions that include the full rules, and simply omit all the wonderful world building tables and extra supplemental rules that he is known for.
White Star is another one, based on White Box. What would be exciting about Chris's project is the compatibility with BFRPG. Even the optional skills chart at the back of the Core Book might be integrated to bring skills into the game.

Maybe it is a project best worked out like the Field Guides, where Chris or Chii ultimately controls the final draft?
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Happy Thanksgiving all! :)
I've played in a SWN game in person, and we have one or two going on Unseen Servant. I think a Mutant Future PbP too. But I'm willing to help out on this for sure!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If it happens, I'll be lead. I may start on the character creation and advancement rules, and the combat system, sometime soon. The whole worldbuilding thing is the issue for me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
TardisCaptain

Post by TardisCaptain »

Ideas for generic "races" in the BSF game.

Humans
Genetically modified Humans (nuHumans or some other name)
Spaceborn Humans (boomers, born on colonies, etc.)
Clones
Androids
Cyborgs

Multiple worldbuilding could be an idea. One is Earth just reaching out into the galactic neighborhood. One where there is a galactic alliance or empire with multiple worlds. Alien invasions on Earth. Just some ideas.

I like the idea of a BSF. I'd be willing to help out.
TardisCaptain's Blog of Holding. http://tardiscaptain.com
artikid

Post by artikid »

I'd love to see a BSFRPG, and I'm willing to help! It's actually something I've been giving a lot of thought over the years.
I think that for starter an Asimov/Vance heavily humanocentric Space Opera is the way to go with the implied setting. No Teleport, no post-scarcity, no transhuman. But see my comment below for more settings.

Race choices could be:
Human (get +20% XP, or dual class, no other race can dual-classed. Chose at creation which one).
Replicant (one Stat is improved by 2 points, one is lowered by 2, get one "alien ability" see below)
Robot(no eat, drink, sleep, breath, getting ill... Must be repaired, has an AC bonus can link to other machines, it's fists deal 1d4 damage, may or may not be forced to obey humans)
Aliens (if allowed by the GM) could be created by allowing the player to pick 2 special abilities from a list, 3 if the alien has a HD limit or if a Stat is limited at 17, or can't chose a class, 4 if two of these, 5 if all three.
It could be stuff like "Natural armor, +2 AC", "dark vision", "natural psi, cast a 1st level power once per day","keen senses, surprised only 1 in 6"

For ability scores, I think we need a sub-human and a super-human range.
1-2 gives a - 4 mod
19-20 gives a +4 mod

Classes I can think of
Soldier/Merc type with a d10 HD
Explorer/Scout d8
Rogue/Scoundrel d8
Diplomat/Aristocrat d8
Techie/Scientist/Medic d6
Psion d6
I'd grant maximum HP at first level, maybe half maximum at each following level.

Some sample weapon-damage ranges
Needle-gun d4+poison
Stun gun, save vs Paralysis or go KO for 1d8 rounds
Pistol d6
Rifle d8
Blaster pistol d8
Grenade d8 with 10' range
EMP grenade, robots must save vs Death or be unconscious for 1d8 rounds
Blaster rifle d10
Plasma gun 1d12
Vibro-blade dagger d6
Vibro-blade sword d10

Technology: I'd leave cyberware and hacking out of the basic rules. Everything outside of the Asimov/Vance paradigm should go into Ancient/Seeders Artifacts (magic items).

Saving throws, leave them as they are, change Spells to psionic and wand, staff to Artifact, Breath weapon to Explosion?

Skills: I 'd rather not go into skills. D&D characters know how to climb, ride, make camp, cook, swim. I expect a BSFRPG character to know how to drive, pilot a ship, use a computer. Classes should have abilities that allow characters to do the extraordinary, everybody can pilot a ship but the scout can make it go faster or give it an AC bonus. Everybody can use a computer, but the scientist can hack it...

New, different, settings (like post Apocalypse, Mecha, Post-humanism or cyberpunk) should be a showcase thing, IMHO.

My 2credits
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

artikid wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:26 amMy 2credits
:lol:
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like the idea that core rules is purely human-centric.
Instead of additional 'races' of near human-kind, instead we have some simple modifications to the base-race.

Terran Human - the base

Non-Terran Human, depends on origin or genetic manipulation for adaptation to origin environment. Some thoughts
- Lunar/Low-Gravity (moon or martian) - minus STR/CON, increase DEX.
- Jovian/Heavy Gravity - increase STR/CON, minus Dex.
- Spacer/Station Resident/Zero-G - tech saavy, increase INT, low STR
- Aquan/Water Planet - gills, cold-resist, increase CON (see also the Hybrid idea below).

Other Neo-Human ideas
Clone/Replicant - Rapid Maturity, enhanced ability scores except WIS (due to speeding up development) and CHR (lacking social skill, others do not like them). Originally designed for workforce, hazardous conditions where regular humans would be at risk.
Hybrid/Animorphs - humanistic animals with human genomes added (or vice-versa).

Cyborg - feel like this is better dealt with through equipment. Perhaps an equipment section on permanent/semi-permanent gear/modifications.

True-Robots or Androids - might be too powerful for standard characters and I think these should be more of NPC or Monster section ideas.

Aliens - this probably needs to be specific to the setting (if at all). Aliens are the Monsters in most of the generic/early SF literature. Should a specific setting need an Alien race included for the player-characters, it can be covered there (as Supplement or Appendix to core rules).

Anyway, just more ideas to consider while figuring out that base SF Core Rules.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
TardisCaptain

Post by TardisCaptain »

More thoughts I had after my first post:

Races:
Holograms- could be hard light or soft light (and I'm sure that some holograms wouldn't be smegheads)
Mutants- Altered by radiation from space, war or unsafe reactors.

Universe building: Re-conquering the universe
Variant 1: Earth expanded out into the stars. Then for some reason, the expansion was lost (empire crumbled, some disaster, etc.) and space travel was lost. Recovery has happened and Earth (or an Earth colony) which allows the players to go exploring for advanced tech or lost colonies.

Variant 2: Similar to V1, but Earth was conquered before it reached too far into space (if at all). Then suddenly (through the actions of Resistance on Earth or another conquered world) the conquerors suddenly disappeared. Now Earth can rebuild and reach out to the stars? What happens when they meet other races who are also recovering?
TardisCaptain's Blog of Holding. http://tardiscaptain.com
teaman

Post by teaman »

TardisCaptain wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 am More thoughts I had after my first post:

Races:
Holograms- could be hard light or soft light (and I'm sure that some holograms wouldn't be smegheads)
Mutants- Altered by radiation from space, war or unsafe reactors.

Universe building: Re-conquering the universe
Variant 1: Earth expanded out into the stars. Then for some reason, the expansion was lost (empire crumbled, some disaster, etc.) and space travel was lost. Recovery has happened and Earth (or an Earth colony) which allows the players to go exploring for advanced tech or lost colonies.

Variant 2: Similar to V1, but Earth was conquered before it reached too far into space (if at all). Then suddenly (through the actions of Resistance on Earth or another conquered world) the conquerors suddenly disappeared. Now Earth can rebuild and reach out to the stars? What happens when they meet other races who are also recovering?
These and other thoughts could be covered in a "Possible Settings" section, with a few paragraphs for each. Then let the GM/DM decide which version of space they prefer.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games