Conversion Requirements

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Syron

Conversion Requirements

Post by Syron »

I was interested in converting a series of D&D Basic Revised, also known as Rules Cyclopedia, Adventures known as Thunder Rift. I did intend to use different maps, make sure that monsters fit the Basic Fantasy statistics, and make minor changes, however, I'm particularly concerned about copyright. Are there potential legal issues that I need to look out for, major rule differences that I need to account for, or anything else? Perhaps instead of a conversion, would I need to make an adventure inspired by?
SmootRK

Re: Conversion Requirements

Post by SmootRK »

A direct conversion is not going to see print (aside from maybe yourself), due to copyright and because we cannot equate BFRPG with that game system (in the legal sense).

Some of our modules are clearly "inspired by" certain other works... but that is it, inspired by ONLY, and otherwise written from scratch, our own maps, no duplication, no direct import. We only try to capture that "Vibe" or most general flavor of those originals.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Syron wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:34 pm Perhaps instead of a conversion, would I need to make an adventure inspired by?
If you mean something you intend to share on this website, yes you should go this direction.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Syron, I applaud your love for Thunder Rift. I really enjoyed those adventures, too. But listen to the folks that have been heavily involved for a while (of which I am not) and lean into the "inspired by" adventure writing.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Well, nothing more to say here, the team has it all handled... thanks guys.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org