Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Fabian

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by Fabian »

It seems that the slot for the artwork for the Axolotl is free, so I'm working on that too.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r17 uploaded. Added all of Seven's entries since r16, as well as Fabián's Awful Offal illustration.
https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=184
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Seven wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:16 am I didn't see anyone take up the Infernal, Somethingsomething Devil.

It looks more like a demon to me. Without alignments it's hard to know the difference and I'm glad we have the single Infernal type. The Egyptians divided their infernal spawns into Guardians--who stayed put and protected something, and Wanderers--who roamed and inflicted banes on the world, possibly as the results of priestly vengeance or curse. I'll go with that last one but borrow a Mesopotanian influence.

Infernal, Pazzu*

Armor Class: 15 (doubledagger)
Hit Dice: 9*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws, 2 talons, 1 bite
Damage: 1d6 claw, 1d8 talon, 1d6 bite
Movement: 40', Fly 120'
No. Appearing: 1d4
Save As: Fighter: 9
Morale: 11
Treasure Type: None
XP: 1,150

Pazzus or Wind Demons are a type of famine demons that are sometimes unleashed upon a population by an evil priest or wizard. They stand seven tall and appear as the combination of several animals; the head of a large horned animal, the upper body of an ape, the lower body of an eagle and huge bat wings. They can create storms strong enough to damage harvests and take great pleasure in destroying cultivated fields. They can cast Insect Plague, once per turn and Animate Dead at will, both as a 12th level Cleric, preferring to animate dead animals.
Pazzus can inflicts all five of their attacks while in the air and will fight on the ground, without their talons, only if their wings are damaged. They are immune to non-magic weapons, normal fire, poison and cold. They take half damage from fire.
It's cool to see to see a Mesopotamian creature. But why not just call a spade a spade and make it "Pazuzu"? You can take Pazuzu out of the zoo, but you can't take the zu out of Pazuzu. :lol:
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Scrolling through r17 I noticed there's still an entry for Infected, Aborigine. That can be removed; there's now a more general entry for Infected, humanoid.
Seven

Post by Seven »

That's not Pazzuzu. Pazzuzu is the king of wind demons. That is just a lowly wind demon subject.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Minion of Pazuzu?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Seven wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:16 am That's not Pazzuzu. Pazzuzu is the king of wind demons. That is just a lowly wind demon subject.
Gotcha. Yeah, I'm always mixing up my mesopotamian wind demons... :roll: :twisted:
Seven

Post by Seven »

I'd rather we don't get into individual guys like Asmodeus, Demogorgon and the like.
Anyone can define those or similar entities to fit a particular campaign.
Like how Khaadk from BF2-3 is not documented in the field guides.

Anyway, the name isn't set in stone either.
It's just meant to be derivative.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Bumblepig wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:39 am Scrolling through r17 I noticed there's still an entry for Infected, Aborigine. That can be removed; there's now a more general entry for Infected, humanoid.
Totally thought I had deleted that; I'll get it on the next release.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Bumblepig wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:42 am
Seven wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:16 am That's not Pazzuzu. Pazzuzu is the king of wind demons. That is just a lowly wind demon subject.
Gotcha. Yeah, I'm always mixing up my mesopotamian wind demons... :roll: :twisted:
You could call it Derecho, I'm still cleaning up after the last one came through a month ago.