Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Boggo

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules

Post by Boggo »

Dan Dalton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:30 am
Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:52 am
Dan Dalton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:49 am You are correct, the problem with Latin is it's used extensively for science and medical terminology and when we use for naming monsters, we run the risk of sounding like modern scientific biology book and less a fantasy role playing game.
Except during the middle ages naming things in Latin was both normal and common
But not among commoners
A surprising number of them actually, and everyone who could read/write
No matter where you go...there you are
Demetrius

Post by Demetrius »

Corrosion is not just Latin but also French.
Dan Dalton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:30 am But not among commoners
One of the things Middle Ages did not have is monolingualism. The idea that you name everything in one language, and one language is enough to speak about anything, is a concept that was created in industrial age, with the rise of national states. Before that, it was totally okay to talk about some things in one language, and about some things in another.

Now we have a relatively clear division between Scots, English, Norman, French and Latin. But this division appeared when the languages became standartised (to some extent) .

In the Middle Ages, the division was very blurred. We have things like Anglo-Norman, Anglo-French, Law French, etc. which is basically people mixing French with English. It was totally normal to drop in words from another language into your own.

(I really like a book The Invention of Monolingualism by David Gramling about how monolingualism appeared, it's very interesting)
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Demetrius wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:08 am Corrosion is not just Latin but also French.
Dan Dalton wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:30 am But not among commoners
One of the things Middle Ages did not have is monolingualism. The idea that you name everything in one language, and one language is enough to speak about anything, is a concept that was created in industrial age, with the rise of national states. Before that, it was totally okay to talk about some things in one language, and about some things in another.

Now we have a relatively clear division between Scots, English, Norman, French and Latin. But this division appeared when the languages became standartised (to some extent) .

In the Middle Ages, the division was very blurred. We have things like Anglo-Norman, Anglo-French, Law French, etc. which is basically people mixing French with English grammar. It was totally normal to drop in words from another language into your own.

(I really like a book The Invention of Monolingualism by David Gramling about how monolingualism appeared, it's very interesting)
Thats really well put (Corrosion is in French the same way it's in English however as a Latin loan word (it's also in Spanish and less surprisingly Italian I believe), and a REALLY interesting book recommendation
artikid

Post by artikid »

Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:11 am (Corrosion is in French the same way it's in English however as a Latin loan word (it's also in Spanish and less surprisingly Italian I believe),
Yes, it's Corrosione
For the Rust Monster I had thought of Ruster, but Corrorsion Fiend is another nice choice
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

artikid wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:07 am
Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:11 am (Corrosion is in French the same way it's in English however as a Latin loan word (it's also in Spanish and less surprisingly Italian I believe),
Yes, it's Corrosione
For the Rust Monster I had thought of Ruster, but Corrorsion Fiend is another nice choice
I believe Solo decided on Corroder in the end, which feels like the name of a terror to swap cautionary tales about in the Inn after a daring escape.

now it just needs a physical description I think :D everyones been worrying about the name not the appearance :D
artikid

Post by artikid »

Well, I think the Corroder could be some kind of slime or jelly, probably born out of some crazed magical experiment or as the result of unbriddled Chaos contaminati some natural animal.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I actually have it Corroder in the current text, but I woke up this morning thinking

Ironbane

... and I think that's winning for me now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:56 am I actually have it Corroder in the current text, but I woke up this morning thinking

Ironbane

I'd be pissed if an Ironbane ate my Bronze armour! just sayin'!

But I can see the name being bandied about as a name for the beast, does it still need an appearance or did you come up with something?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:56 am I actually have it Corroder in the current text, but I woke up this morning thinking

Ironbane

I just read your Armorbane and was about to suggest the same Ironbane :D
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

My current text contains an armadillo-like description but I'm not overly fond of it.

Suggestions? Needs to work with the current stats (armor, movement, etc.) of the monster.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org