Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules

Post by Solomoriah »

Eagles can be trained, but it's extraordinarily hard and serves little purpose. They eat too much, can't be used to hunt in the same way falcons and even hawks can (just imagine one of those landing on your arm... even if you're wearing your Gauntlets of Ogre Strength and can support it, it has a heck of a grip and long sharp talons).

But EE contains a number of "marginal" items that we've left in because no matter how crazy an idea is, some player will want to try it. I just think we need to move the stats to the Core.

BTW we will need to revisit the page numbers after we finish the Core.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Post by artikid »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:04 pm R108.2 is in Projects waiting for you!

I did the pronoun change largely with find-and-replace, but I don't think there will be a lot of issues with it. I also added the Zombraire and Skeletaire, and subbed in the miscellaneous magic item generation rules and descriptions.
How can I help proofread this?
I can't find the "Projects" section of the site/forum
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Projects is a Dropbox folder we use to share items between Production Team members. If you're wanting to join the team, great! However, we use Projects under somewhat strict conditions to avoid causing each other problems. For example, if you didn't put it there, and you aren't the person it's being handed off to, you should not touch it. When you make edits, you copy the document out of Projects to your personal folder, bumping the release number (or in the current case, the sub-release number) higher, and when you've done your changes you put the new document in Projects and notify the next person.

Right now Al has the Core Rules; when he's done, I've asked to have them passed back to me for some more updates, and then I expect to hand them off to Chi for a pass. If you want to get involved, I'll need you to email me the email address you signed up for Dropbox with so I can add you to Projects.
Jim1804

Post by Jim1804 »

Signature sent via email!
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I've finished Chapter 3 Spells, tonight and will continue from there. Finding a lot of incorrect verb tenses since the change to 'they'. I've been correcting them as I find them.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

So while dealing with some users who were having trouble with joining the forum, I discovered this:

The Core Rules says: "For example, a flesh golem hit by a lightning bolt which should deal 11 points of damage instead receives up to 3 points of healing."

The 3.5 SRD says: "For example, a flesh golem hit by a lightning bolt heals 3 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 11 points of damage."

It's SRD text that I shuffled because I didn't like how they wrote it. SO we need to rewrite the example as it's evidently a shuffled version of the SRD text.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:50 pm So while dealing with some users who were having trouble with joining the forum, I discovered this:

The Core Rules says: "For example, a flesh golem hit by a lightning bolt which should deal 11 points of damage instead receives up to 3 points of healing."

The 3.5 SRD says: "For example, a flesh golem hit by a lightning bolt heals 3 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 11 points of damage."

It's SRD text that I shuffled because I didn't like how they wrote it. SO we need to rewrite the example as it's evidently a shuffled version of the SRD text.
could also simplify it? ALL electrical damage heals the flesh golem at a 1:1 (heals so it doesn't exceed it's original HPT) that may come in handy with Lightning elementals and salamanders being PC summonable
No matter where you go...there you are
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:50 pm So while dealing with some users who were having trouble with joining the forum, I discovered this:

How confident are we that reordered SRD text have all been spotted in 3rd Ed? Would we need a second pass? Or risk is so low now that effort is better placed elsewhere?
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
Jim1804

Post by Jim1804 »

gabeprime wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 am

How confident are we that reordered SRD text have all been spotted in 3rd Ed? Would we need a second pass? Or risk is so low now that effort is better placed elsewhere?
Here's how I did my proofing:

1 - Verbatim text - easy to identify
2 - Very closely paraphrased text; as in would it still be considered a direct quote in an academic paper, even if the wording was slightly different; also identified.

The example given above is complicated; I'm pretty sure that I would have flagged it as paraphrased (number 2 above), but since it's a mechanic, it wasn't always clear.

I don't know if everyone was flagging paraphrases?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Jim1804 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:42 am
gabeprime wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 am

Here's how I did my proofing:

1 - Verbatim text - easy to identify
2 - Very closely paraphrased text; as in would it still be considered a direct quote in an academic paper, even if the wording was slightly different; also identified.

The example given above is complicated; I'm pretty sure that I would have flagged it as paraphrased (number 2 above), but since it's a mechanic, it wasn't always clear.

I don't know if everyone was flagging paraphrases?
I did look for what I considered close paraphrases, though I think a final pass through after proofing may be a good safety measure, Belt & Braces (not sure if that saying's a thing in the US? means redundancy if it isn't)
No matter where you go...there you are