IF rules questions

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Altee

IF rules questions

Post by Altee »

I really love Iron Falcon's take on the game and how the rules are written.

I do have few questions regarding rules:

1) On Page 14 of the Rules

Distance: All distances are given in scale inches.
One scale inch is equal to 10 feet in indoor or
underground environments, and 10 yards in
outdoor situations.

Do you switch to battle maps when there's an encounter? Normal battle maps are each square inch is equivalent to 5 feet, not 10 feet squares as in dungeon exploration mentioned.

2) Are weapon ranges units are in yards? Composite bow would be 8/16/24 yards for their +2/+1/0 modifiers

3) On Page 9 Character with Multiple Classes

The character may also use the most favorable
weapons and armor allowed, with the following
exceptions...[clerics blunts only, thieves leather and no shield]

what about the Fighter/MU? Can he/she use plate armor? Or have to take off armor and sheath sword before casting a spell?

Sorry, this topic may have been discussed over in BFRPG or elsewhere like fans saying elves can cast while wearing armor etc, but would like to hear from you all.

Thanks.
Boggo

Re: IF rules questions

Post by Boggo »

1) Thats how it was before Hasbro took over, 1" scale was 10 foot indoors 10 yards outdoors because those were standard wargaming scales for 25mm miniatures

2) Weapon ranges are in inches, therefore feet inside, yards outside.

3) Fighter/Magic-User can use any armour a fighter can use and any weapon a fighter can use, and still cast
No matter where you go...there you are
Altee

Post by Altee »

Ah, everything makes sense now.
So uses 1/72 (25mm) scale minifigs instead of 1/64 (28mm) ones.
My 28mm collection 😫💩
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Iron Falcon is Chris' love letter to OD&D 28mm mini's wouldn't exist for DECADES after that game was replaced by newer versions (thanks for nothing Games "gimme all your money" Workshop)
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The difference between 25mm and 28mm is pretty small, guys.

I use 2 squares = 1 scale inch when playing on battlemats. I would actually use proper scale inches if I was using 3d terrain without squares or hexes.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mercurio_Loi

Post by Mercurio_Loi »

Hi all, I'm new here!
I'm loving IF and its simple and clear layout, but I can't wrap my head around the rule on page 3, the "Chance of Surviving Spells", tied to Constitution. Is it used in conjunction with the saves? And if so, how? Thanks!
Demetrius

Post by Demetrius »

Mercurio_Loi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:07 am Hi all, I'm new here!
I'm loving IF and its simple and clear layout, but I can't wrap my head around the rule on page 3, the "Chance of Surviving Spells", tied to Constitution. Is it used in conjunction with the saves? And if so, how? Thanks!
The rules are pretty vague, just like in the original 0e book, but Iron Falcon gives examples of “being turned to stone, paralyzed”; the original 0e book “Men and Magic” specifically mentions “withstand being paralyzed, turned to stone” as examples, and the Greyhawk supplement mentions “polymorph, stone”.

In newer editions, this also included spells that age character. So, basically, it affects spells that do dramatic changes to the character.

In 2e, this value was renamed to system shock.
Mercurio_Loi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:07 am Is it used in conjunction with the saves? And if so, how? Thanks!
If I understand correctly, both are used:
  • The saving throw determines if you can dodge the spell of the witch wanting to turn you into a frog (if you fail, you're turned into a frog).
  • The Change of Surviving Spell determines if you can survive being turned into a frog and back, if you haven't dodged successfully (if you fail, you probably die!.. or maybe not, at GM's discretion).
Mercurio_Loi

Post by Mercurio_Loi »

Demetrius wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:16 am
Mercurio_Loi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:07 am Hi all, I'm new here!
The rules are pretty vague, just like in the original 0e book, but Iron Falcon gives examples of “being turned to stone, paralyzed”; the original 0e book “Men and Magic” specifically mentions “withstand being paralyzed, turned to stone” as examples, and the Greyhawk supplement mentions “polymorph, stone”.

In newer editions, this also included spells that age character. So, basically, it affects spells that do dramatic changes to the character.

In 2e, this value was renamed to system shock.
Mercurio_Loi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:07 am Is it used in conjunction with the saves? And if so, how? Thanks!
If I understand correctly, both are used:
  • The saving throw determines if you can dodge the spell of the witch wanting to turn you into a frog (if you fail, you're turned into a frog).
  • The Change of Surviving Spell determines if you can survive being turned into a frog and back, if you haven't dodged successfully (if you fail, you probably die!.. or maybe not, at GM's discretion).
I see, it does make sense that you could potentially die from "dramatic changes" to your body.
Thank you!
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

I've personally always used the system shock percentage table for a variety of other instances where massively traumatic things happen to a character's body or mind. One simple and iconic utility would be for poisons that aren't necessarily save - or -die but are nonetheless quite nasty. Inclement weather such as extremes of cold or heat are another logical application of this roll. I've seen it used to stave off drowning as well, in a work buddy's game. I've personally included a house rule in one of my campaigns that a magic-user can attempt to cast a spell he doesn't have memorized, but has to make a system shock roll or be subject to a potentially lethal wild-magic surge.