Is this a bad house rule?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
lars_alexander

Re: Is this a bad house rule?

Post by lars_alexander »

A house-rule depends on the house, that is, the game master, and the group of players. If the group has played with the Basic Fantasy Core Rules, and wants to test your suggested house-rules, and after a time of testing, and probably a few modifications, accepts them, they cannot be bad house-rules. But test them with your players. As a GM, I had to find out the hard way, that my well-thought-out-house-rules either didn't work well at the game table, weren't accepted by the players, or both. ;)

Apart from that, the game rules help play a game world. The rules directly affect the game world, as do the rulings of the GM, and all actions of characters, and creatures, and so on, that are to a certain extent constrained by rules, and rulings.
Most rules are oriented towards player characters, or rather the players. Players can feel the developing power of their characters, if there are options for meaningful interaction with the game world. Dice roll modifications are mere dice roll modifications - until they constrain the options of interacting with the game world.
Players of fighter characters may feel more powerful, if they can support with combat tactics: e.g. set up an ambush with the party, explain the tactics, and grant each party member a +2 attack bonus for the duration of that encounter. Here, the dice roll modifier underlines the influence of the character action on the whole group.

From my experience as a GM, it were options like these, as well, as special items, personal quests, and such, that helped players develop their characters, more than any class-based dice roll modifier.
And from my experience as a player, that +1 bonus rarely meant anything. It's the options of meaningful interaction with the game world. Allow that, and you players will explore, and develop a game world with you.
CrudRollingCrusader

Post by CrudRollingCrusader »

If you haven't run the game using the standard rules, you don't know what is or is not balanced; indeed, it takes some time to internalize the consequences of how the game is written. Things aren't always as obvious as they seem.

I haven’t ran a game but I’ve played many times and thought this
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

CrudRollingCrusader wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:24 am If you haven't run the game using the standard rules, you don't know what is or is not balanced; indeed, it takes some time to internalize the consequences of how the game is written. Things aren't always as obvious as they seem.

I haven’t ran a game but I’ve played many times and thought this
The biggest unintended consequence I think from the original proposal is that without AB's a 20th level Cleric, or a 20th Level Thief is no better in combat than a 1st level one, AB in this game is replacing the D&D To Hit roll tables, so removing it from characters other than fighters is basically saying you will never fight better than a zero level Normal Man.
No matter where you go...there you are