Magic user casting in combat?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
WisdomTomato

Magic user casting in combat?

Post by WisdomTomato »

Hi there, I'm new to BFRPG, i was reading the core rules and something that i notice was that they explain combat with missile or melee attacks, i don't know if I'm missing something, but casting a spell during combat is not explained? for example, if I'm a lv1 magic user with magic missile, in combat, in my turn, and i want to cast my spell to damage an opponent, what do i need to do exactly? do i need to roll to hit? if i miss, i lost my spell cast for the day? if i get a nat 20, the spell can do something else? do i need to apply DEX bonus? even when my primary ability is INT? I'm sorry if this post is not correctly assigned, I'm very new to this :C
Boggo

Re: Magic user casting in combat?

Post by Boggo »

say, "I cast magic missile at .....", and roll damage.

If the spell is one that requires a saving roll to resist, then the GM if the target is a monster, or the Player if the target is a PC rolls the saving roll to adjust the effect as per the spell description.

Spells are cast (taking the casting time as listed) and then take effect, no rolls, it just happens, it is after all magic.
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

A magic-user casts a spell by announcing they are casting a spell. There is no roll by the caster under normal circumstances; however, targets of the spell (if any) may receive a saving throw. Certain spells may be exceptions to this rule, but those which are will be plainly indicated.

Magic missile always hits its target, unless that target is protected by shield.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Boggo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 pm Spells are cast (taking the casting time as listed) and then take effect, no rolls, it just happens, it is after all magic.
Most spells have no "casting time." Spells cast from scrolls do, however.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:59 pm
Boggo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 pm Spells are cast (taking the casting time as listed) and then take effect, no rolls, it just happens, it is after all magic.
Most spells have no "casting time." Spells cast from scrolls do, however.
To many decades of AD&D
No matter where you go...there you are