Adventure & supplement templates

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Adventure & supplement templates

Post by Solomoriah »

A bit more... common style chains in the Adventure template:

MapKeyHeading -> BoxedText -> Text Body

MonsterBlock -> HPCheckBoxes -> HPChecksEnd -> Text Body

WanderingMonsterBody -> WanderingMonsterEnd -> WanderingMonsterBody -> ...

When I paste a bunch of hit point boxes (like from the checkboxer.html tool page), I have already entered the MonsterBlock line and pressed Enter, so the style of the current empty paragraph is HPCheckBoxes. The first line of hit point boxes will be HPCheckBoxes, the second will be HPChecksEnd, and then a bunch of Text Body. At this point I grab the mouse and highlight them all; the styles pulldown will show the first paragraph's style, and if I pull it down and click on it, all the lines will change to HPCheckBoxes at once. I click at the end of the next-to-last line, press ENTER, SPACE, Delete, and if I feel like it I backspace once (but you can't see the space character so sometimes I don't bother).

When you paste into an existing paragraph that already contains text, the style of the pasted text is thrown away and the existing paragraph's style wins. If a paragraph contains no text, however, and the pasted material includes a style, the paragraph now has the style of the source text (hence some of the issues Upton mentioned in his comments).

Unfortunately, characters also have styling. This is why fonts you chose manually in another document before copying and pasting into our template are retained, even though they are not what we want; and this is also why Paste Special, Unformatted Text works (because it strips away all styling).

ALL OF THIS is the result of spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME working in LibreOffice. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:57 pm
UptonGames wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:33 pm - If you copy-and-paste text into the outlined boxes, the box disappears;
In both cases, it's because the document you are copying from already has styles set up. To remedy this, do Paste Special, Unformatted Text.
the wrist breaking Shift-Ctrl-Alt-V to paste unformatted using keyboard shortcuts (I'm using that one a LOT at the moment)
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I made a macro for it, actually, on my toolbar. I use it all the time, and not just for BFRPG; it's always an issue when pasting from a web page into a document at work (like getting pricing for a customer from my vendor's site).
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

luckily I have long fingers!
UptonGames

Post by UptonGames »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:57 pmIn both cases, it's because the document you are copying from already has styles set up. To remedy this, do Paste Special, Unformatted Text.
I have never in my life heard of ]Paste Special, Unformatted Text]. I'll have to see if I can figure it out.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Oh yes I've used Ctrl-Shift-V far more often than plain old Ctrl-V in LO ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

UptonGames wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:40 am
Solomoriah wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:57 pmIn both cases, it's because the document you are copying from already has styles set up. To remedy this, do Paste Special, Unformatted Text.
I have never in my life heard of ]Paste Special, Unformatted Text]. I'll have to see if I can figure it out.
Some form of "Paste Without Formatting" exists in almost every word processor, spreadsheet, and email client; virtually anything that has styling has it somewhere.
UptonGames

Post by UptonGames »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:10 amSome form of "Paste Without Formatting" exists in almost every word processor, spreadsheet, and email client; virtually anything that has styling has it somewhere.
I'm working in Word and I don't find anything like that. Am I looking in all the wrong places?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

UptonGames wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:37 pm
Solomoriah wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:10 amSome form of "Paste Without Formatting" exists in almost every word processor, spreadsheet, and email client; virtually anything that has styling has it somewhere.
I'm working in Word and I don't find anything like that. Am I looking in all the wrong places?
Programs in the Microsoft Office suite naturally do things a little differently, and the way to paste as plain text is to hit Ctrl + Alt + V and then select “Unformatted Text”. No idea where it is in the menu's since I'm not working for a multinational anymore I don't have to put up with Office 365
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Apparently there is more than one way to do it.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-st ... aste-text/

LibreOffice is still better. And a dedicated macro, better still.