Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
bugleyman

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by bugleyman »

The first clause of the second sentence on page 43 ("Generally one player will do this, drawing a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor.") lacks a verb (what is the player doing?). How about "Generally one player will draw a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor."?

(Note: if grammatical corrections aren't of interest, please let me know and I won't post them!)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

bugleyman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 pm The first clause of the second sentence on page 43 ("Generally one player will do this, drawing a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor.") lacks a verb (what is the player doing?). How about "Generally one player will draw a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor."?
With respect, it's not wrong. What the player is doing is "making maps;" "do this" refers to what the previous sentence described.

The full context is:
In any dungeon expedition, making maps is important. Generally one player will do this, drawing a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor.
The first sentence describes an action; the second sentence talks about how that action is performed (or at least, by whom).
bugleyman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 pm (Note: if grammatical corrections aren't of interest, please let me know and I won't post them!)
Grammatical corrections are welcome! However, I don't believe this is wrong.

My wife does think my version is awkward, but agrees it is not wrong.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

bugleyman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:49 pm Near the end of page 9, the closing parenthesis appears to be missing from the note about subduing damage.

The text currently reads:

“(in which case subduing damage is done, as explained on page 55.”

But should probably read:

“(in which case subduing damage is done, as explained on page 55).”
Ah, so. Fixed. Thanks!
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 am
bugleyman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 pmw and I won't post them!)

personally I'd just drop the "do this" to make it less clunky "Generally one player draw a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor."
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Boggo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:40 am personally I'd just drop the "do this" to make it less clunky "Generally one player draw a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor."
Perhaps. But it's how I speak, and given that it's not wrong, I'm not changing it.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 am
Boggo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:40 am personally I'd just drop the "do this" to make it less clunky "Generally one player draw a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor."
Perhaps. But it's how I speak, and given that it's not wrong, I'm not changing it.
A good time to remind everyone that the source version of the book (.ODT) is available for people to download, wordsmith, and otherwise modify to their heart's content.
bugleyman

Post by bugleyman »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 am
bugleyman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 pm The first clause of the second sentence on page 43 ("Generally one player will do this, drawing a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor.") lacks a verb (what is the player doing?). How about "Generally one player will draw a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor."?
With respect, it's not wrong. What the player is doing is "making maps;" "do this" refers to what the previous sentence described.

The full context is:
In any dungeon expedition, making maps is important. Generally one player will do this, drawing a map on graph paper as the Game Master describes each room or corridor.
The first sentence describes an action; the second sentence talks about how that action is performed (or at least, by whom).
bugleyman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 pm (Note: if grammatical corrections aren't of interest, please let me know and I won't post them!)

In hindsight I should have written "style suggestions" rather than "grammatical corrections" in my note. I'll avoid the former in future posts, as I now appreciate that you are deliberately employing a conversational style. :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 am My wife does think my version is awkward, but agrees it is not wrong.
And therein lies the source of much truth.
bugleyman

Post by bugleyman »

Page 17, the second sentence of the description of Animate Objects reads:

"Objects to be animated may not be in the possession (worn or carried) by any creature, and
must be non-magical in nature..."

It should probably read:

"Objects to be animated may not be in the possession (worn or carried) of any creature, and
must be non-magical in nature..."
Last edited by bugleyman on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- The Dalai Lama
bugleyman

Post by bugleyman »

Page 19, the first sentence of the description of Cloudkill, reads:

"This spell creates a 20'x20'x20' cloud of poison gas which moves at a rate of 10' per round under the control of the caster (so long as they concentrates on it)."

It should probably read:

"This spell creates a 20'x20'x20' cloud of poison gas which moves at a rate of 10' per round under the control of the caster (so long as they concentrate on it)."
Last edited by bugleyman on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- The Dalai Lama