Monster Origins

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
miqued

Re: Monster Origins

Post by miqued »

I went looking for monsters specific to European folklore, and I came across a reddit post that seems to have done something very similar to this project here. It's specific to D&D, but of course many of those monsters are in Basic Fantasy too.

https://reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/k5mmq ... geons_and/
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
leon

Post by leon »

Thanks for sharing! That will be good to cross-reference.

I have more work in the spreadsheet that's not shared yet. The urgency level went down in February. I should push through the last few monsters from FG3 and then we can see if it makes sense to develop this into a real supplement.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
leon

Post by leon »

The top post has release 12. I've looked at every monster now. The list of FG3 monsters probably misses a few monsters from the last few months because I started with a scrape of whatever release it was from around August. There are a few monsters orphaned as posts to the closed FG3 topic.

I skimmed through the Reddit thread by phdemented. It's really long because it seems to cover all OE and 1E monsters. If we go further on this project, it might be worth going monster-by-monster to see if the thread has an extra detail we don't.

Now the question is if it's worth developing this into something more. It could turn into something more narrative, like a wiki or book, aiming to list free monsters along with where they came from and why they are free. My interest in the topic is exhausted, except I'm happy to help support further development if someone else feel enthusiastic about it.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com