New Class - Munsador

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
miqued

New Class - Munsador

Post by miqued »

This is a new class that is some mix of a Fighter and a Druid but isn't truly either of those classes. It resembles the "modern" druid's use of wildshape, but it isn't wildshape either. Take a look and see for yourself, and let me know what you think.
Attachments
Munsador-r1.odt
(94.54 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Munsador-r1.pdf
(315.83 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
Wing_department

Re: New Class - Munsador

Post by Wing_department »

The way Munsadors can use their aspects is well-thought. The class overall seems pretty balanced... but requires creativity from the GM's side, which may result in some overly powerful abilities. If I ever used it, I would probably just let Munsadors turn completely into an animal (though it doesn't strictly fit the concept) and maybe add some additional penalties when it comes to mimicking creatures with really special abilities (those with asterisks (*) next to their hit dice values). The second one would be a pretty good addition, I think.
The biggest fan of Ockham's razor.
miqued

Post by miqued »

Wing_department wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:01 am but requires creativity from the GM's side
Short of going monster by monster, I couldn't think of a way to make a list of options to get around that. My proto-Munsador was a sort of spellcaster instead, with the Aspect as merely a single physical quality, but I felt it needed more unique spells than I could think of to have meaningful choice and distinction between each Munsador. Once I'm back at my desktop, I will upload that one as well and see if anyone has ideas to make it more defined one way or the other. This is definitely not a final version, and I'm open to changes.
Mique D.
miqued

Post by miqued »

Wing_department wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:01 am and maybe add some additional penalties when it comes to mimicking creatures with really special abilities (those with asterisks (*) next to their hit dice values). The second one would be a pretty good addition, I think.
That's a genius idea that I didn't even consider. Completely slipped my mind
Mique D.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Additionally, a Munsador must have a Charisma score of 9 or higher to be able to use the Creature Captivation ability.
So, a character with 8 or lower CHA can be a Munsador, but they will lose that special ability? A special ability for the one they'll still be paying XP. Just add 9CHA as a requirement.
When a Munsador decides to learn a Bestial Aspect, a number of weeks equal to the Munsador’s level minus the Hit Dice of the creature whose ability is to be reproduced must be taken to learn how to recreate the creature’s natural mysteries
The higher the character's level the more time it takes but the higher the monster's HD the less time it takes to learn it? I think the formula is flipped, Monster's HD minus character Level in weeks (with a minimum of one week) should be the correct one.

But it would be better to go similar to acquiring spells, one week per HD (or per 2HD) with no Level modifier, as those abilities can be really powerful, specially if they can be used freely.
I would make a note that low power abilities takes days and really powerful ones takes months.

An "usage rule" could be helpful, something like uses per day, % chance of successful use per aspect, etc, I prefer the class leveling the aspects in some way instead of just be up to the GM as a wrong move can break the game.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
miqued

Post by miqued »

Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 am Just add 9CHA as a requirement.
I see your point, r2 will make that change.
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 am
When a Munsador decides to learn a Bestial Aspect, a number of weeks equal to the Munsador’s level minus the Hit Dice of the creature whose ability is to be reproduced must be taken to learn how to recreate the creature’s natural mysteries
The higher the character's level the more time it takes but the higher the monster's HD the less time it takes to learn it? I think the formula is flipped, Monster's HD minus character Level in weeks (with a minimum of one week) should be the correct one.

But it would be better to go similar to acquiring spells, one week per HD (or per 2HD) with no Level modifier, as those abilities can be really powerful, specially if they can be used freely.
You're right, I did mean it to be the reverse order, but r2 will simply make it 1 week per HD of the monster. I wouldn't make it less, because there's no material cost, so I feel increased cost of time makes sense.
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 am I would make a note that low power abilities takes days and really powerful ones takes months.

An "usage rule" could be helpful, something like uses per day, % chance of successful use per aspect, etc
I have a new vision with actually defined Aspects, rather than just "ask the GM lol", and which creatures should be studied to gain them. I'm thinking there will be two tiers. The normal tier are common powers, such as the Chitin sort of ability from the Giant Ant. The other tier will be more specialized, where powers like the petrifying gaze will be listed. The time required to learn and the usage mechanics will be different but consistent for both tiers.
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 am I prefer the class leveling the aspects in some way instead of just be up to the GM as a wrong move can break the game.
I'm planning to add how to Aspects change as the Munsador gains levels in relation to the Hit Dice of the creature. Although, since powers can come from creatures with varying Hit Dice, I think it will make more sense to assign levels to the powers like is done with spells. Once I have the list of Aspects completed, I may organize the list like that, and then unique abilities will just be higher level.
Mique D.
miqued

Post by miqued »

I went through all the monsters in the core rulebook r108 and came up with these powers for the bestial aspects. I'm going to assign them levels, kind of like spells. I'm not sure yet whether to base levels on the average HD of all the monsters who have an ability, or just the lowest HD, or a different way entirely. What I'm working on now is compiling a list for each power of which monsters can be studied to gain them from, which may inform how the level is determined. The powers notably left out are any that are specific to undead as well as any spells or the ability to cast them like a magic-user would
  1. Adhere to Surface
  2. Natural Armor
  3. Superior Strength
  4. Petrifying Gaze
  5. Heightened Olfaction
  6. Echolocation
  7. Crushing Grip
  8. Venomous Strike
  9. Toxic Emission
  10. Omnivoyance
  11. Enhanced Movement
  12. Location Deception