Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
bugleyman

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by bugleyman »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 pm
bugleyman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:35 pm Nice! This is the one folks. I can feel it. :lol:
YOU!

It's YOUR fault! You jinxed us!

:D :D :D :D :D
python_run-away11.png
python_run-away11.png (246.34 KiB) Viewed 371 times
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

JugglinDan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:01 am
Solomoriah wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 pm
alexthehack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 pm Don't hit me but…on p. 65, shouldn't the listing for Barklings come before Basilisk alphabetically? And should it also be Barkling instead of Barklings, since the other monster names aren't plural?
ACK.

How did no one notice this before???
I read this section last night and didn't notice either. I'll hand in my proofreader card on the way out.
You're not the only one kicking themselves about this, I missed it too.
Vindeishi

Post by Vindeishi »

Ghast and Gelatinous Cube are out of order.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Vindeishi wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:12 pm Ghast and Gelatinous Cube are out of order.
Egad.

Fixed. R120 coming later, probably tonight.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

r119
Page 164: The Gem Type tables have a line above the header row, but no other tables have this.
Page 164 & 166: The Unguarded Treasures table has a line above the header row, but it also has a table (or is it a section?) heading above that so it doesn't look as mismatched. Until reading to page 166. Here, the Potions, Scrolls, & Wands tables all have a bolded table heading above the header row, but there is no line between the two, making the style inconsistent with the Unguarded Treasures table.
Page 164: The Gem Type tables are not alphabetised while all the other tables in this section are (e.g.: jewelry type, magic weapon type, special enemy, armor type). Personally, I don't think this matters. Mentioning it only since it stands out on a close read.
Page 175: Knowledge and Connection table has a line above the header row.
Page 179: Line above the header on the first table of dungeon encounters.
Page 179: The dungeon encounters table is a d12 roll, but this is not mentioned in the text. A sentence similar to the one use on the wilderness encounters section might improve clarity and will make this section consistent with the other random encounter sections. E.G.: "If a dungeon encounter is indicated, roll 1d12 on the appropriate table below."
*: This one is really minor. Throughout the book, some random tables use the die/dice type in the header. For example, the value adjustment table on page 164 has "2d6". The encounter tables in Part 8 just have "Die Roll" as the column header, leaving the reader to infer die type from the outcome ranges, or to read it elsewhere in the text.
Page 19: In Confusion, the first column is not centred. In all (most?) other tables, columns containing die roll outcomes are centred (examples: Reincarnate, Teleport, Part 8 tables).

As before, I will update this post if I find anything else on this read.
I'm done on this read. It was hard work to find anything, which is good.

Is the index generated automatically or by hand? Does it need checking? I've checked a few entries at random and they are all correct.
I'm also on RPGG
sambutoki

Post by sambutoki »

- Note -
I thought there was a error in the text but it was just me being mentally slow today.
Apologies.
Last edited by sambutoki on Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Or it could be missing a part about falls lesser than 5' not doing damage.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
leon

Post by leon »

Divide the number of feet fallen by 10 and round to the nearest whole number. That's the number of dice to roll for damage. 4÷10 rounds to 0. 5÷10 rounds to 1. 14÷10 rounds to 1.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
sambutoki

Post by sambutoki »

leon wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:54 pm Divide the number of feet fallen by 10 and round to the nearest whole number. That's the number of dice to roll for damage. 4÷10 rounds to 0. 5÷10 rounds to 1. 14÷10 rounds to 1.
Ah, this would seem to make sense. So, not an error, just me being a little slow.
sambutoki

Post by sambutoki »

I almost hate to suggest this so late in the game, but it seems like now or never -

Is there any way you would consider dedicating one page per class, and having a unified class progression table, with all the basic class statistics (HD, Attack Bonus, Saving Throws, and possibly Spell Slots) all in one place.

It would be a pretty big quality-of-life improvement, and it would address one of the most common legitimate complaints that people have concerning BFRPG - that is, that you have to go to three or four disparate places in the book every time you create a character or level up.

Usually I am opposed to having duplicate information in a book, but I do like having all the relevant tables and information in the Encounter section of the book. So I guess I'm suggesting duplicating it in the "unified class progression tables" in the section on classes.

I realize this is more work and would increase the page count by at least two pages, but I truly believe the QoL improvement would be worth it.
I think you could more or less just use the BFRPG Ultimate Character Charts for the Human version of the classes, maybe with some minor adjustments.
And even if you roundfile this suggestion, thank you all for all your work on this project, especially Sol (of course).
P.S. Please don't fireball me ...