Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rules 4th Edition

Post by AlMan »

While going through Morgansfort noticed that Giant Shrew has HD 1 and Sv F2 since the Save and HD should match this should have Sv F1.
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

I'm curious about the differences in the Navigation Sidebar in Firefox between the past handful of releases. With r124 the Navigation Sidebar shows the page view thumbnails, as always, but has only one heading the Document Outline: 'Getting Started with Basic Fantasy RPG'. I'd say the previous six releases had nothing in the Document Outline.

Prior to 4th Edition releases the Document Outline was always present and very useful for quickly navigating. Release 107, for example, doesn't seem to have them, but prior releases did.

Does having the Document Outline populate with Table of Contents headings require additional work? It's odd the outline contents seem to be in some releases and not others.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:33 pm While going through Morgansfort noticed that Giant Shrew has HD 1 and Sv F2 since the Save and HD should match this should have Sv F1.
This is not always true, and Giant Shrews are one of the creatures it's not true for. They get the benefit of slightly better saves as a special ability.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
bugleyman

Post by bugleyman »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:52 pm
AlMan wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:33 pm While going through Morgansfort noticed that Giant Shrew has HD 1 and Sv F2 since the Save and HD should match this should have Sv F1.
This is not always true, and Giant Shrews are one of the creatures it's not true for. They get the benefit of slightly better saves as a special ability.
Makes sense. They are well known to be, by and large, quite shrewd.

...I'll see myself out.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

-- The Dalai Lama
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

feveredmonk wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:54 pm I'm curious about the differences in the Navigation Sidebar in Firefox between the past handful of releases. With r124 the Navigation Sidebar shows the page view thumbnails, as always, but has only one heading the Document Outline: 'Getting Started with Basic Fantasy RPG'. I'd say the previous six releases had nothing in the Document Outline.

Prior to 4th Edition releases the Document Outline was always present and very useful for quickly navigating. Release 107, for example, doesn't seem to have them, but prior releases did.

Does having the Document Outline populate with Table of Contents headings require additional work? It's odd the outline contents seem to be in some releases and not others.
I'll be honest with you, I know exactly nothing about any of that. Final PDF formatting is as stripped as possible for print purposes; I don't put a lot of effort into navigation. Someone else did the R107 bookmarked version for us, actually.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:27 pm
feveredmonk wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:54 pm I'm curious about the differences in the Navigation Sidebar in Firefox between the past handful of releases. With r124 the Navigation Sidebar shows the page view thumbnails, as always, but has only one heading the Document Outline: 'Getting Started with Basic Fantasy RPG'. I'd say the previous six releases had nothing in the Document Outline.

I'll be honest with you, I know exactly nothing about any of that. Final PDF formatting is as stripped as possible for print purposes; I don't put a lot of effort into navigation. Someone else did the R107 bookmarked version for us, actually.
I'm happy to volunteer to create a bookmarked PDF once the print candidate is finalised. I use bookmarks extensively in my PDFs, so I'll be bookmarking all the major sections on a stable version anyway.

I might even look to see if it could be automated. The table of contents does contain text and internal hyperlinks. It might be possible to script the creation of bookmarks from that.

Edit: there look to be quite a few open-source Python libraries for working with PDF, so that's possible. I can also look into how to convince LibreOffice to add the bookmarks, which might be more efficient than reverse engineering them. I won't do anything that distracts from the current push to a print release though.
I'm also on RPGG
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

So I forgot to announce R124, and now here we are...

Announcing!

Core Rules 4th Edition, Release 125 -- March 29, 2023
An error discovered in the Miscellaneous Magic Items tables has resulted in this new Print Release Candidate, one of a long and distinguished line of Candidates...

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#corerules4
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I did some research in the last hour or so, and cannot figure out how to change (if indeed it's possible to change) the styles that are selected automatically for the "document structure." The Core Rules use custom styles, which work fine for ToC generation but do not apparently work for the document structure.

So. No help there.
JugglinDan

Post by JugglinDan »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:22 pm I did some research in the last hour or so, and cannot figure out how to change (if indeed it's possible to change) the styles that are selected automatically for the "document structure." The Core Rules use custom styles, which work fine for ToC generation but do not apparently work for the document structure.

So. No help there.
I have a lot of PDFs (hundreds) that I'd like bookmarked anyway, so I'm going to be exploring an option to generate them from Python. If I get something working, I'll put a permissive open-source licence on the script and throw it up on GitHub. There are libraries that should let me read the document contents and structure, then write bookmarks back to the file.

You mentioned earlier that the final page is using different styles to the rest of the file. That's probably why it's getting an automatic bookmark.
I'm also on RPGG
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:21 pm So I forgot to announce R124, and now here we are...

Announcing!

Core Rules 4th Edition, Release 125 -- March 29, 2023
An error discovered in the Miscellaneous Magic Items tables has resulted in this new Print Release Candidate, one of a long and distinguished line of Candidates...

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#corerules4
Weirdly the link above (which goes to the corerules4 link, actually takes me to the 3e one rather than the 4e one (obviously no big deal, one turn of the scroll wheel gets me where I want to be, it's just weird)
No matter where you go...there you are