Progress on NC1 Concept: Letter of Corruption

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Neigdoig

Progress on NC1 Concept: Letter of Corruption

Post by Neigdoig »

I decided to make a thread on updates to my module that I'm currently working on, in which I have entitled Letter of Corruption. This was the adventure that I had GM'd in a very popular RPG that was an improvised one-shot, now turned into multiple sessions (hopefully).

Long story short, it details the players embarking on an dangerous journey to bring a letter to a contact in a region of the Kingdom of Elviron, known for its horrific actions by its citizens: known criminal thugs, their supporters and minions thereof. This letter will be used as a piece of evidence against a court that happened to be packed by pro-monarch entities. The most dangerous part of the quest is the knights and guard in the kingdom, should they find out you're smuggling information of the king's 14 week enslavement plan, have been ordered to attack you. This breaks a law that was unjustly written as a means of tyranny that the other three regions have called for an end on.

Edits to this post will be made as I work on it some more in a list format. It will go like this:

4/4/23 (Day 1 of this post)
  • This is a module designed to be improvised upon. The GM will need to be creative on the fly, as there are very little notes for them to be guided upon. I had designed it in such a way where you don't have to worry about overplanning, unless you are that type of GM.
  • For if I have planned everything right, there will be multiple scenes that I will have written to guide the GM on how to go about the most important parts of this singular adventure in the module.
  • Don't be afraid to get as creative as you'd like. It's a Rule of Cool on steroids, and that's what I want in this type of design. As an example, I could play a Human Cleric who doesn't do any magic, for in which he thinks it's witchcraft, thus would defile his soul.
4/6/23 (Chag haMatzot shemeach! [Happy Feast of Unleavened Bread!])
  • I have removed the Solo/GMless play bit for now, as that happened to be a bit ambitious for my liking. What I'm doing is already audacious enough, so I don't need to be doing any Solo/GMless modifications at this point. That will be for a separate version of this module, where it will be more organized (I will be recording a series of me GMing it, and using that for the Solo version).
  • I have more paths being made, as I'm also making it a sort of CYOA module (if you're a player, that is). I'm currently working on one of the regions, since I don't flesh them out too much in the introduction.
  • I should also mention that I'm not using the template too much, but I was messing around with it a little bit. Instead, I'm using a separate document with Times New Roman (the font I use all the time). That is for all the ideas that I'm dumping into that, and revising as I see fit. That way, they will be ready to be imported to the template when ready to release.
  • Any feedback to these updates would be very much appreciated. Always feel free to message me directly for any comments and/or further questions. I'm almost always available!
4/7/23
  • At Solo's request, I have added the ideas I have so far (known as LOC.odt). Note that this isn't the final product, and I can change it to fit the fonts if desired, or make changes to the story, mechanics, etc. Though I may splurge more ideas (likely I will), and release new iterations as I make the changes. Thanks for the catch, Chris.
  • I have made a backup of the original playtest release, LOC.odt, so the 2nd playtest release will have more added, though I will also make the changes as requested in this release (Look for the attachment LOC 2.odt on this post once I release that version).
  • One more point I forgot to mention: Once there are multiple versions of this release, feel free to download any version of the LOC *.odt files and play them a bit. I'd love to know what I can do better in future releases of this playtest version of the module before I do anything more ambitious for it. If you want to do this with all versions to see the history of the module's progression, then go ahead. I give no rip. :P
  • Well, that didn't take long. I decided to finish one region, and start on the next. Also, before I observe my Shabbat (Sabbath), I've included LOC 2.odt, which includes font changes and, as mentioned, the finishing of one region, and the start of the other (opposite of the first detour of the target destination's path).
4/9/23
  • There is a new test release of the playtesting variants of Letter of Corruption, LOC 3.odt. This version changes the size of the fonts everywhere, and finally finishes the second of the two splits on the road to the target location.
  • These changes are rather quick, and by the same token, I thought it would only be fair if I had basic notes. At this point, if you have any clarifications you want made, please feel free to let me know. I'll take a look at what needs clarified for those confused, and make the edits necessary. There is no need to worry about that.
  • I may be quicker than most writers, sure, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions on what to add to this adventure, as I want it to be fun for everyone.
4/10/23
  • LOC 3.odt wasn't even out for 28 hours, and I had decided to release LOC 4.odt. This version has two new scenes, and is getting closer to the final battle with the king and the courts, for it is more difficult at the latter stages than it is that the beginning, as it should be (obviously :P).
  • I know this may be a little too fast for you to comprehend, since I'm a pantser (spontaneous writer); but don't worry about it. I'll leave these versions up, and I'll make a separate post on this thread once I'm done with these alpha releases for feedback. I will take all feedback into consideration, and take notes on what could be made better, what could be cleared up, etc.
  • One more thing I should mention: I forgot to tell you that you can make changes to LOC as you see fit. If you'd like, feel free to send them to me, and I'll take a look. If it is up to snuff in what I want for this adventure, or is a good tangent from the main quest, then I will add it in future versions. I'm not making it to where this is the only stuff, as I'd like everyone to be able to contribute, and not just myself. I'll even shout you out in these releases per your request, should you so choose.

4/19/23
    • This droid and project are not dead. I took a break for a few days, and slowly working on Letter as I had seen fit. I decided that two more scenes are in order for this, the LOC 5.odt playtesting release, and no, this won't be the last release by far, as there are more things to do for it.
    • This time around, I have added an additional side quest, and this also has to do with the false king of Elviron, the one who was installed. That is a quest specifically for later in the campaign (and that part hadn't been written yet), to be done before the penultimate fight against the king.
    • Unrelated to these updates, I see a few people are interested in Letter, and I see that as progress. This tells me I'm doing something right for this game's community, and I'm giving credit where it's due. If you have anything you want me to clarify, add or subtract, feel free to let me know here or in PM's, and I'll see what I can do. Don't be afraid to let me know what I can do better also. As I have stated before, I want to make something everyone from beginners to advanced players can enjoy, even with players of different skill levels. This may already be audacious enough as is, but I'm sure I can improve somehow. :P
    4/23/23
    • Wow what a download-a-rama! Version 4 is the most downloaded playtest version of Letter so far, and I wasn't even expecting that to happen. I thought LOC 5.odt would be it. I guess I was wrong.
    • That out of the way, I have added a 6th release of Letter, LOC 6.odt, which includes a new scene, and new mechanics I have made for the GM (This is why I ditched the GMless/Solo play by the way). I have slowed down considerably, since I've been distracting myself from this with a couple other projects I was working on, and a bit of computer gaming (plus a podcast I'm working on not related to BFRPG). I will eventually get back on track, but for now, this is inconsistent for the time being.
    5/3/23
    • After about a few days of being distracted again, I have decided to release the 7th playtest update of Letter. This time, we're getting closer to the end of this initial version's adventure, wherein I will take a break and take in all feedback in a separate post on General, or here, to make it better for Alpha releases. Granted, this doesn't use the standard BFRPG template, but it will get there in due time. I had designed it in such a way where the more complicated scenes will have a lot of notes, leaving some room for improvisation. I save the improv towards the beginning, but closer to the end, the only improv done are the battles, with notes about how they are to be run. That is all for now.
    5/15/23
    • This playtest writing phase is finally done in the form of LOC 8.odt. This was the last stretch, with a ton of notes for the GM to guide his players through the final battle with the king.
    • Now I will be taking a break from writing letter, and listen to feedback you want to share here, or in a different post on the General Discussions (which is entitled Feedback for NC1 Concept: Letter of Corruption). During my long break, I will be taking all of your notes, additions, subtractions, revisions and clarifications requests into consideration for when I decide to start writing the Alpha releases of Letter using the BFRPG Adventure Template. I will be waiting patiently until I get every note needed to start on the Alpha. Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
LOC 6.odt
The 6th Playtest release of Letter, with a new scene and 2 new mechanics I made on the spot. It's why I got rid of GMless/Solo play, as explained in the OP.
(56.08 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
LOC 5.odt
The 5th Playtest release of Letter, with an extra side quest and more to the target location.
(54.85 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
LOC 4.odt
The 4th Playtest release of Letter, with a start of the 4th region, the target destination, and an integral part of the quest
(51.15 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
LOC 3.odt
The 3rd Playtest release of Letter, now with more scenes, and a finish of another region
(49.59 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
LOC 2.odt
The 2nd Playtest release of Letter, now with the proper BFRPG fonts, and one region complete
(54.47 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
LOC.odt
Letter of Corruption's beginning, using Times New Roman font
(46.82 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Last edited by Neigdoig on Mon May 15, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Progress on NC1 Concept: Letter of Corruption

Post by Solomoriah »

Neigdoig, it sounds like a good adventure. However, you haven't actually shared anything here, which violates the main rule of the Workshop: All threads must contain or link to actual game materials.

I'll leave it for a day in case you just haven't gotten it uploaded yet, but if you really don't have anything to share yet we'll move this to General Discussion until you do.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... and, there it is. Thanks!
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

Quick note, Solo: At the time you had asked me to post the first version, I had no idea how to post attachments, since I had never done that too much on other PHPbb based forums before. Afterwords, I had figured it out, and started releasing like crazy (as you can see in the first post). I'm a pantser (spontaneous writer), which explains the speed at which I post, because of the speed in which I write in. Again, I appreciate the catch, as I had not read the rules correctly beforehand. My mistake.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

S'awright, all good here!
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

Quick question for y'all playing LOC: Would you want me to add the final battle with Alrovoroque into LOC 7.odt whenever I release it, or would you rather improv it with handmade notes from you?

I ask, because I'll be releasing this playtest version with your feedback after my shabbat.
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

So it looks like 6 files can be in one post at a time on a thread, so I'll have to use this separate one for LOC 7.odt and LOC 8.odt. That's probably a limitation of this forum software that I had discovered myself (though it might be documented there). Apologies about that.
Attachments
LOC 8.odt
The 8th and final Playtesting release of Letter, where the final battle is added, with a small epilogue from me. Though it's for the GM, anyone who was a player can read it too!
(60.75 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
LOC 7.odt
The 7th Playtesting release of Letter, where we are getting closer to the final battle with the king, so I had added way more notes to use in improving than I might have wanted to. In that case, I didn't want to confuse the GM's who are running this module already.
(58.26 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Neigdoig

Feedback for NC1 Concept: Letter of Corruption

Post by Neigdoig »

As promised, this is a feedback thread for my module, Letter of Corruption. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's this Workshop thread here (https://basicfantasy.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4781).

Since I will be taking a break from writing it for the time being, this is where you can share what you like and dislike about the module, request additions, subtractions, revisions and clarifications for certain things to be done in future releases of the module (though it will be a singular adventure). You can even contact me directly about anything if you don't want your input public. I will take all of it into consideration, and use this to write the first Alpha release of Letter, which will be posted in the Workshop in a different thread.

That said, I hope you enjoyed exploring Elviron!
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

Now that I had finished this initial run of Letter releases, I'm taking a break from it for now.

In the meantime, you can give me feedback here, on the General Discussion post entitled Feedback for NC1 Concept: Letter of Corruption or through DM's. I will take all the notes from all methods, and the addition, subtraction, revision and clarification requests in mind for when I start writing the Alpha releases of Letter using the Adventure Template.
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

After a long while, I might as well have it playtested myself (I had just thought this I was looking over this concept again). Feel free to DM me if you're interested, and I can get something set up using FLOSS (As a tech-savvy young guy).

Note that I'll be doing TOTM (Theater of The Minds), since I did this for a 5e version of this adventure. I could only imagine how things could be brought about here.