Halfling Thief Hiding?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
ODiesel

Halfling Thief Hiding?

Post by ODiesel »

Hello,

I can't find an answer to this question, but my search fu skills aren't great.

I'm confused by the wording on a halfing's hiding ability.

"Outdoors is their preferred forest terrain, they are able to hide very effectively; so long as they remain still there is only a 10% chance they will be detected."

So a first level thief has to roll under a 10 to hide.

But if it's a halfling does that mean they have to roll a 90 or under? Because it's says there's only a 10% chance they will be detected, not a 10% chance they will be hidden.

Are there two rolls made? One to hide and one for the enemy to detect them?
Metroknight

Re: Halfling Thief Hiding?

Post by Metroknight »

I interpret the wording to mean the DM must roll 10% or less for any monster to detect a halfing when it is staying still in a forest or 30% or less if it is staying still while underground or indoors. It is only one roll and that is for the detect.

I always explain it as a halfling has a innate hiding ability of 90% or less when attempting the skill in their preferred terrain and 70% or less when attempting to hide indoor or underground.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Metro has my interpretation as well.

Only an exceedingly high level halfling thief would better than their innate ability.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The phrasing is using the gm's pov giving a chance to any npc and monster, the halfling has a 90% hiding skill (70% indoor or underground)

Hiding is one of those skill mostly rolled by the GM, so its given as a detection chance (on the thief is given as a chance of hiding, maybe mostly to keep it the same as the other skills)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Outdoors, in a forest a halfling has a 90% chance to hide, AS LONG AS THEY DON'T MOVE, they don't need to roll their thief chance in those circumstances, however indoors, or MOVING STEALTHILY they have the 1st Level Thief chance of 10%
No matter where you go...there you are
ODiesel

Post by ODiesel »

Thanks everyone. I knew I was overthinking it.

Ran my first session. Things felt a little herky jerky. I've only ran from D&D 3E and forward (although I've played 2E) so it took a bit for me to get my bearings to how this works.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

ODiesel wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:18 pm Thanks everyone. I knew I was overthinking it.

Ran my first session. Things felt a little herky jerky. I've only ran from D&D 3E and forward (although I've played 2E) so it took a bit for me to get my bearings to how this works.
It can be a rough transition for some groups used to d20-centered games, since not everything in BFRPG is as "unified", but once you get the hang of it I think you'll really enjoy the strengths of the system, which generally lie in its relative simplicity and modularity. Hope you guys continue to play and have fun.